Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOTR twin build

Thanks Bonewar. Its much better now w/ one bend and less angle. Also, thanks to you, I made a CF plate this afternoon. Shes still in the "press". Will pop it tomorrow afternoon and see how it came out. Thanks for the tip using the glass, PVA and weight. Once its out I will make my servo mount... then do some thinking on how to make an adjustable batt tray. I think I got it figured out?

I just installed the 2nd mount. Going to triple check its the same as the first then lock them both in well.

Talking

Tiqueman,

Be VERY GENTLE when you pull your piece of glass apart.

Also , I cut out my pieces with very sharp scissors.
    Be AWARE of the carbon it is Not friendly to humans.

Let your plate cure for a day or two , it will be much stronger and easer to cut.

Good luck with it.
    Post up a pic when your done.

Cheers Bonewar
    SIMRAD MARITIMO TWIN 1512 NEU'S , M12 MARITIMO SINGLE 1527 NEU , SV27 1509 NEU , SV27 NITRO O.S. 18CV-R 3.0cc WATER COOLED RACE ENGINE.

Quote Originally Posted by bonewar View Post
    Tiqueman,

Be VERY GENTLE when you pull your piece of glass apart.

Also , I cut out my pieces with very sharp scissors.
    Be AWARE of the carbon it is Not friendly to humans.

Let your plate cure for a day or two , it will be much stronger and easer to cut.

Good luck with it.
    Post up a pic when your done.

Cheers Bonewar
    Very gentle as to not destroy the piece, or very gentle as to not shatter the glass and sevre your hands? I was planning on picking at it with a couple of putty knives. I hear you may be able to help pop em apart w/ some compressed air too?

I replaced the glass with two pieces of thick transparent plastic (ring binder cover) and two pieces of thick MDF. This way it is more flexible and you do not need knives...

Quote Originally Posted by CornelP View Post
    I replaced the glass with two pieces of thick transparent plastic (ring binder cover) and two pieces of thick MDF. This way it is more flexible and you do not need knives...
    I thought about doing almost exactly that. I ran into a guy that used to be one of my sub-contractors who now has a glass shop right around the corner from my house. He cut me a few 1/4" pieces out of his scrap pile and told me to go have fun and dont cut myself.

I popped it and shes a beaut! No problems at all. I will post some pics later. I used a layer of 5.7 CF, the 2 layers of a FG matt... I dont know what weight it was.. at least 6 maybe a bit heavier, then another layer of CF. Piece came out about 2.5mm.

Very nice job, I hope that 2 x 540Xl won' t be too much

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Spirit View Post
    Very nice job, I hope that 2 x 540Xl won' t be too much
    Yeah, it should be a fun one!

Heres the CF plate I made. I may get to my servo mount tonight.. not sure. And Ive made a rough template for the bulkhead out of balsa, so I will trace it w/ some minor mods for a better fit and cut it out of the plate as well.

Theres a couple notches in the deck lid lip on the front.. no idea why they were cut out??? So im going to fix that.

And I think I should probably pull the flotation back out before I close it off and reinforce the deck/ hull joint w/ some FG tape.

Heres some pics, and thanks for the compliments!
    The blurry more grey pic of the carbon, I took w/out the flash so you could see the reflection.. Notice the BJ26 on the shelf and the cars hanging on the wall. Super highly reflective. Im really happy with the way they came out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Tiqueman,

Very nice carbon work there mate .

Bonewar
    SIMRAD MARITIMO TWIN 1512 NEU'S , M12 MARITIMO SINGLE 1527 NEU , SV27 1509 NEU , SV27 NITRO O.S. 18CV-R 3.0cc WATER COOLED RACE ENGINE.

Thank you kind sir.. and thank you for the tips!

I had gotten a little seepage off the plate and onto the work surface.. so first release was to get it off the bench. Dont know what I didnt prepare for that.. but oh well, for a first shot at it, I have no complaints.

t,

awesome build...am jealous i want to do the same...just getting into fe. i have a 32" apparition hull cat...the thing has a very low profile...i can barely fit 3s cells in the sides....was wondering how come no-one ever uses kevlar to line their boats? maybe bonewar will chime in...how is the build going?

savage 4.6 - blackjack 26 - e-revo - HOTR 32" Apparition - blade cp - blade sr - trex 450 -

Quote Originally Posted by amo123 View Post
    t,

awesome build...am jealous i want to do the same...just getting into fe. i have a 32" apparition hull cat...the thing has a very low profile...i can barely fit 3s cells in the sides....was wondering how come no-one ever uses kevlar to line their boats? maybe bonewar will chime in...how is the build going?
    As far as I know, the apparition is the same hull.

Ive been told Kevlar can be dificult.. but I will let you know as I am laying up a Skunk Cat w/in the next few days w/ blue/black Carbon/ Kevlar

I will be running the 3S cells on the tunnel, but yes, I know what you mean about tight fit in the sponsons.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Thank you kind sir.. and thank you for the tips!

I had gotten a little seepage off the plate and onto the work surface.. so first release was to get it off the bench. Dont know what I didnt prepare for that.. but oh well, for a first shot at it, I have no complaints.
    Looking good. Did you ever get that epoxy out? Wax paper might be good for a work surface.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Default Servo Mount

Got my servo mounts cut out of the CF plate I made. I templated off of the AE carbontec. I little fine tune filing and they will be done ... However, I thought of something different to do so I may use these in something else.

Top plate is the Ae Carbontec, bottom 2 are mine.

EDIT, heres another pic of the mount w/ servo installed.
    Last edited by tiqueman; 03-17-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Looking good. Did you ever get that epoxy out? Wax paper might be good for a work surface.
    LOL, no I keep puting off the epoxy in the transom extension. I may leave it as well as the remaining aluminum, as long as it does not interfere w/ the ruddr.

Which by the way, I got a Octura 3.75 wedge, Hopefully it will work
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=oct-oc4wrmca
    and will likely use the Octura short bracket for it.. if I do not make my own.

Yeah , wax paper woulda been great, and usually thats what I put down... for whatever reason yesterday I underlayed it w/ paper towel? What? Who does that? Guess I was too excited about what I was getting ready to do and wasnt thinking

Try this for a rudder : Graupner 2364.3 Aluminium Rudder System Large 154x120mm or the Graupner 2425.3 Aluminium Rudder System 145x120mm by http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...r_rudders.html ... I have the first one and they are beautifull!

Thanks Lomodel. I looked at that one as well. Exact design I was looking for but the bracket is a bit longer than Id like. But its my next choice if the Octura doesnt work correctly.

The longer the bracket, the further behind the prop the leading edge is, the more stable the ride will be, especially at speed, IMO.

t,

well i already did the kevlar...looks very cool...like the different yellow look. i used the 6" roll and did the sponsons and then laid a piece for the center....then i tried to add a filler for the seams and now it looks like poop....should have waiting for the center and sides to dry before continuing to to do the seams...mechanically it is rock solid...aesthetically...poopoo...but i do like the method of making your own sheets...what are you guys using to cut them for the various mounts?

savage 4.6 - blackjack 26 - e-revo - HOTR 32" Apparition - blade cp - blade sr - trex 450 -

For a perfect lookin' cat you' ll need those ETTI water jackets

Wow, I really liking those carbon cooling jackets!

Im using a scroll saw (thanks Daggersfl) and a file set to do my carbon work.

I made my new servo mounts.. much more suited for the "HOTR"

J' hallucine! Quel sens du détail

Umm, thanks?

Yes sir. Now you understand french

that servo bracket looks sweet tiqueman and th HOTR cut in it bad azz,,,PS, i want one of those motor coolers thats sweet also....

Thanks for the compliments Jerry. And check your email.

I got the bulkhead done yesterday....
    If anyone wants a template, let me know and I will send one to you.

Very sweet, carbonfiber just looks cool like terminater style...checked email thanks brother..

This is an very nice build. Lookin' forward to see it run!

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    This is an very nice build. Lookin' forward to see it run!
    Thanks I appreciate it. And me too!!!!

Im trying to figure out battery hold downs. What do you all think of this? They would be about 1/2" high and 7-7.5 inches long for adjustability. I would put HD velcro on the tunnel to help keep them from sliding and use straps to hold them down like Steven sells. Im thinking these set close to the edge of the tunnel, and another one, or pair, along the centerline? What do you all think?

Or what other ideas are out there?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tiqueman; 03-18-2010 at 08:07 AM.

It sounds like a good plan, but make sure you leave enough space for any future battery you might buy...

I hear that.................. Always plan ahead

I checked things out more and it looks as if I will only be able to run one down the middle. to run 2 and leave room to be able to get straps up and between is really goingto be tight on the batts, and may be too tight if bats are changed for a lil wider.....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast