Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: HOTR twin build

Cool man thanks!
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

If you disregard the decimal and round up you are at 70!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    No doubt! That's 70 in my book....
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat26 View Post
    No doubt! That's 70 in my book....
    When my gps comes in and starts w/ a 7... then I will be

Shes close, but not quite. I was outta town all day today so I hope to try for it tomorrow.

Taking in to account the accuracy of your gps unit, you probably did 70+ and your gps software just "averaged" it out. So take a bow.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Default Little mishap....

So, in my quest for a tru 70 on the GPS, Ive had a small set back. I scuffed the hull w/ 400 grit to try and break the friction a bit. I only needed .2 mph for 70. So, I finaly got to run it this am. It runs A LOT different w/ a scuffed hull. 1st pass, I could tell it was running very very light... and then it blew over. it skipped, it danced, it cleared 100' while skipping once somewhere around 50 ft, then a short bounce and skip 10' from the end. It looked nasty. Once I got the boat in, which is a story in itself, I tried running it again but she just wants to blow over at about 3/4 throttle. Back home on the bench, a close once over immediately showed hull damage. The right side rear seam split a few inches and spider cracks are venturing out from the area. So far its all Ive found.

Guess its back to the bench for a tear down and repar...

Oh, and anyone have this happen... The GPS shut off. It also was loose after the episode. It powered back up and read 37.4 mph.... Id guess it was close to its top end when she went over. A lot closer to 70 than 37. Oh well. Repair time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So then you would agree that scuffing the bottom improves top end and slickness?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    So then you would agree that scuffing the bottom improves top end and slickness?
    Without a doubt. I havent touched anything adjustment wise for 3 runs and the prior 2, the boat had a pefect ride attitude. I scuffed the hull and now its like my cog was moved back 3 inches. I guess the friction of the epoxy paint to the water was holding the bow down. Now that Ive broke that tension, she wants to blow over.

Unfortunatley, Ive made a build mistake. My batts are as far forward as they can go because they are up against the bulkhead. So Im going to try a stinger adjustment when its back in the water. If that doesnt work, I dunno.. I guess I will have to cut holes in the bulkhead for the batteries to slide into.

Jeff, did you get the decals I sent?

Great reading sir, keep it up!
    Nortavlag Bulc

My Forerunner did the same thing when it bounced around a bit. The battery tabs inside tend to let the cells get loose. I lightly soldered on to them increasing the thickness and tightening up the cells. Bending can easily snap those little tabs...
    ________
    Six
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.

So, I got it back together late this afternoon. Structurally shes repaired.. cosmetics is another story. I trimmed the stingers down a couple degrees. Probably dropped the tails about 1/8 of an inch. She ran real nice and tru, but I lost a couple miles per hour. Down to 67.5. It was close to dark so I didnt mess w/ anymore trim. Next I will try coming up just a little on the stingers to see if I can unload the props a little bit and still keep the nose down.

Oh and Im leaking water in now too. Havent found where its coming from but I went from having a bone dry boat to having around a tablespoon or two of water in each sponson. I think the seal on the rudder broke and its coming in from the bolts while stopped. I paused at the end of 5 or 6 passes for 10 seconds or so before I attempted to go flat out over its own wakes, which on this set up went very well, like they werent even there. So Id imagine while sitting still it was leaking in.

Glad you got her back together man,,,

try an airdam in the tunnel to help keep it planted at high speed. It worked excellent on my sprintcat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    try an airdam in the tunnel to help keep it planted at high speed. It worked excellent on my sprintcat.
    What exactly is that? I've seen the spoiler type things on the hydros, but how would you accomplish that on the underside of the cat?
    ________
    Washington marijuana dispensaries
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminR View Post
    What exactly is that? I've seen the spoiler type things on the hydros, but how would you accomplish that on the underside of the cat?
    Typically its mounted towards the rear of the tunnel (near the transom, bottom side) kinda like a wedge and helps keep the nose down at high spped. Ive seen some do a spoiler type at the top/ front of the tunnel as well, on the deck. Once I get it trimmed back out it will be fine. It was perfect before I scuffed the hull. If I cant get it right, I will just re-spray epoxy paint on the bottom and get it back to where it was.

Check out Bonewar's Maratimo M12 thread.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ght=m12&page=3
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Typically its mounted towards the rear of the tunnel (near the transom, bottom side) kinda like a wedge and helps keep the nose down at high spped. Ive seen some do a spoiler type at the top/ front of the tunnel as well, on the deck. Once I get it trimmed back out it will be fine. It was perfect before I scuffed the hull. If I cant get it right, I will just re-spray epoxy paint on the bottom and get it back to where it was.
    Had it back in the water yet?
    ________
    Rohypnol rehab forums
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Nah Ive been too busy to really do much at all during the light hours of the day.. but Im not complaining one bit.

I was hoping to get it in the water today but it rained all afternoon... but this am when I was doin work it was beautiful.. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Nah Ive been too busy to really do much at all during the light hours of the day.. but Im not complaining one bit.

I was hoping to get it in the water today but it rained all afternoon... but this am when I was doin work it was beautiful.. go figure.
    Yeah, rain rolled in as I was ready to take out the new gas cat... That's the great thing about living in FL. The weather is great almost every day almost all year round. Except for hurricanes!
    ________
    Fx
    Last edited by FighterCat57; 02-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminR View Post
    Yeah, rain rolled in as I was ready to take out the new gas cat... That's the great thing about living in FL. The weather is great almost every day almost all year round. Except for hurricanes!
    Tell me about it... How long have we been w/ out rain.. and today I try and take the 1:1 boat out... get it all ready to go and the clouds unleash.... I guess the next couple days are supposed to be crappy.. then its back to that sunshine stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Not one to cloud another mans build thread but I have a bit that might help here.

I have a dam in my Cat at the moment as Matt (crabstick) told me it might help.
    It does. !!
    So far I have only had one good run with the dam in and it made the hull a lot more controlable. It would previously blow off with all the same settings.

The dam was placed at the point where the tunnel ramps down and then goes flat.
    I have now moved it forward and this will decrease the effect of it. I will play with the dam for a while until I get it right.

Why do I have an air dam at all
    After all strut adjustments is is clear that my hull design is not suited to high speeds so I need to reduce the compression lift that the tunnel produces.

I may play with cutting out the tunnel traps at the rear to see how this affects it all. I suspect that this will reduce the lift at the rear and cause blow overs again.

Lots of work to do and lots to learn.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Thanks for pointing me to the Bulkhead post (101) Tiqueman
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011