Thread: Fix-a-flat for flotation

Default Fix-a-flat for flotation

Anyone ever tried fix a flat or any other spray in foam in the nose of the hull for flotation? Thought it might work good as it could expand to fill area maybe even ad rigidity.

Fix a flat won't work as it is only a sealant. It will revert back to a green liquid state in a matter of minutes.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

I wouldn't recommend using spray foam. It expands quickly and with a great deal of force. You stand a chance of splitting you hull wide open!

Maybe some people have had success, but I've always been afraid to use it.

i have used spray foam, type that we use to isolate around the house windows. it expands alot, i just hang the boat with nose down and sprayed the stuff in. it could then freely expand oppwards. no problem with that. just used the knife to remove the expanded and dryed foam.

dont know if it will float... not tested that yet... i should probably do that...

Had the foam in the nose of mine and thought it was a good idea.... until I crashed it and had no access to the inside of the nose for repairs. I was finally able to get enough of it out to get some expoy in the nose to fill the holes.

You got to watch, some foams actually soak up water. Just find some foam packing like the stuff that comes with a new TV. A few dots of silicone to hold it in place, then cut a few to fit perfect for the rear behind where the batteies go. Or just dont crash it... hehe and tape the cowl