Thread: SV 27 brushless - No water appears at water outlet

Default SV 27 brushless - No water appears at water outlet

I just ran my new SV27 brushless today for the first time on a backyard pond. During the initial run, I checked first to see if water was exiting through the outlet on the port side......no luck.

We pulled the boat in, and removed the brass fitting at the rudder top.
    We found it clogged with sealer. We cleaned the fitting, and reinstalled it. I also blew air through the flexible water tube that attaches to this fitting, and felt air come out at the water outlet on the boat's port side. I also blew air into the brass fitting (after it was reinstalled) and verified that air came out the water pickup port low on the rudder.

So....it seems that I verified a complete circuit for water flow. We put the boat back in the water, and ran it again.

Still no visible water stream at the water outlet port.

I ran a two complete sets of batteries, and checked the motor temps. It was warm to touch....never hot. I never saw any water coming out of the outlet.

What does a normal water exit stream look like? The only mod I made to the cooling system was the black OSE anodized cooling jacket.

Any other ideas on what to do to get cooling water flowing? Does the system need to be primed somehow? Is it possible that I need to enlarge the diameter of the water pickup hole on the rudder?

Thanks for any advice. The boat has run great so far......wicked fast.

Bruce

Some have done the enlarging the hole including myself. I would also verify that there are no kinks in the tubing especially at the ESC. Also make sure that you get good flow thru the ESC cooling plates. If all else fails, get a transom mount pickup.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

What does normal water flow look like? Is it a good hard stream
    shooting out of the water exit port? Like a one foot stream...or more?

Bruce

Hard to say. On mine it's about 2-3 inches out..As long as you got a good stream is what is important. Also, check the bottom of the rudder and verify that there is no hole. I've heard that some have holes in the bottom of the rudder. If so, just fill it with epoxy.
    Government Moto:

Hi you should also remove water jacket on the motor and check for rubber bits inside causes a restriction.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. This morning I enlarged the water pickup hole on the rudder slightly, and ran the boat again. I'm now seeing normal "spurts" of water several inches long exiting at the water outlet.
    I have no idea what the problem was.....the intake hole may have had some burrs around it....who knows.

Bruce

Glad you got that resolved.
    Government Moto:

run a drill bit in all of the nipples. Sometimes they are plugged from excessive thread lock. Mine was fully clogged on the rudder and one nipple on the ESC jacket.

I use the transom mount pick-up from the supervee nitro. It made a vast improvement over the stock rudder pick-up.