Thread: Outrunner Cooling Blocks & Mounts for Micro Models

Arrow Outrunner Cooling Blocks & Mounts for Micro Models

As many of you know, Steven here on OSE offers water cooled motor mounts that can offer outrunner cooling for our models.

Here are the ones he offers:
    Etti 380 Size Water Cooled Motor Mount Can anyone provide dimensions for this item?
    Adjustable 380 to 540 Size Water Cooled Motor Mount
    Adjustable 380 Size Water Cooled Motor Mount
    540XL Size Water Cooled Motor Mount: In Fiberglass and In Carbon

For most mini to large size models, these all work quite well. However, if we start talking about small, micro sized models, then I have found that some of the 380 size water cooling blocks won't fit, even without the upright pieces.

That being said, I'm wondering if anyone else is aware of a manufacturer that makes small water cooling blocks that allow for the shaft of the motor as well as mounting screws to pass through. I know that the original Renegade has one that Diegoboy owns and I'm thinking that this item didn't just appear out of thin air. Anyone have more information?

Thanks.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Anyone?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I don't know of any either, which is why I've started making my own which are more of a plate with a piece of tubing soldered on. The mini rio comes with what they call motor cooling as an aluminum plate with a piece of tubing zip tied to it. I read in a thread about putting JB Weld on it to make more area for cooling. This does help but isn't the best solution either. I've tried making these plates by welding aluminum plates to tubing with marginal sucess at best. However the one that I did make and installed on a hybrid outrunner (an outrunner in a can) worked very well. Cooling coils or jacket would do little for this type of motor just like an outrunner. I've since started making them out of brass and have made one for an outrunner, but don't have a pic yet of it but is similar to these that I made for a pair of inrunner on a twin jet boat I've been working on. Anyway, that's my solution to not finding anything else that is thin enough to work-poorboy it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was planning on doing something with a mount like you did, but i dont know how effective it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardfusion View Post
    I was planning on doing something with a mount like you did, but i dont know how effective it would be.
    Well, I was never sure either as I was experimenting with the mini rio one. But I could see that the temp would come up on that plate after I stopped running it so I figured that if it was still pulling heat after a run on a brushed motor it would probably work on an outrunner. The motor in the first pic I have ran 2 2300mah 30c 9.9v a123 on back to back and the motor is around 100deg. I know that at least it helps and really on any outrunner anything that helps is good thing.

An outrunner in a can can use the simple aluminum tube coiled around it method since the outer case doesn't rotate! Typical outrunners are the question I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by damfurst View Post
    I don't know of any either, which is why I've started making my own which are more of a plate with a piece of tubing soldered on. The mini rio comes with what they call motor cooling as an aluminum plate with a piece of tubing zip tied to it. I read in a thread about putting JB Weld on it to make more area for cooling. This does help but isn't the best solution either. I've tried making these plates by welding aluminum plates to tubing with marginal sucess at best. However the one that I did make and installed on a hybrid outrunner (an outrunner in a can) worked very well. Cooling coils or jacket would do little for this type of motor just like an outrunner. I've since started making them out of brass and have made one for an outrunner, but don't have a pic yet of it but is similar to these that I made for a pair of inrunner on a twin jet boat I've been working on. Anyway, that's my solution to not finding anything else that is thin enough to work-poorboy it!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Thanks for the input guys and sharing your experiments. Sailr is correct, I'm referring to traditional outrunners where the mounting area is static, but the cylinder/body rotates.

Keep the comments coming!!!

Just ran this 3300kv outrunner on a Abc Hobby 22mm jetdrive and used a cooling plate made with 1/8" brass plate with a piece of brass tube soldered to it. While this is homemade it is consistently 10-15deg cooler than the rest of the motor. Since this is where the windings are connected to the input leads it stands to reason that it pulls most of the heat away from the windings. In the pictures of Little Screamers motor this is also where the cooling is concentrated. At any rate these are simple to make and I believe work better than nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing a picture. Are you using thermal paste for the surfaces or anything like that?