Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castle motors Watts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    How have people drawn this conclusion? Since my Castle's run very cool, that means they are losing very little power through heat. I'm tempted to get a 1515 neu to compare to my castle/neu.
    Nothing can be done about motor efficiency. Thats relatively speaking, a fixed number. Now given the fact you are running cool in your setup says your running great in all the important areas. Thats the best anyone can hope for. Even if you were running a cheap chi motor like a Keda/Pulso and it does what you want it to do. Where is the complaint? There is none no matter what you would compare it to.

Since Castle motors is the topic and equivalency is the question its doubtful anyone can offer serious advice unless they have done an even basis comparison. I certainly cannot. The Castle-Neu's have already proven themselves in many applications. And I hope this discussion has some input from a member who indeed has done a side by side comparision. All my comments are based upon opinion and from experience. Nothing more then my 2 cents.

John

on the castle sight it says that they are 85% efficient...the neu's have tested at 91% efficiency rating...how much difference might this make? you could argue that the neu may have some better runtimes...i am not sure if you can argue about the heat buildup because the castle has heat sink fins on the case and may just disperse heat better any way...its a tough one..i have a 1717 and a 1521 1y and a 1527 1.5y...i have not done any real testing yet but i am sure i am not going to be disappointed with any of them! it would be nice to know that if you choose to go with a castle that you will get similar performance for less cash
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    seems to be a lot of "neu,s are better" but haven't seen any evidence to back that up, and if there was i doubt there would be enough in it to see a difference in most setups
    Google it..
    the reports are out there..
    nothing wrong with Castle, not sure why some go down that road..
    NEU are good Castle is not, not one person has said this, but some want to go down that road and I'm not sure why..
    Castle motors Rock!
    NEUs are just a bit better
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by RIPFENCE View Post
    on the castle sight it says that they are 85% efficient...the neu's have tested at 91% efficiency rating...how much difference might this make? you could argue that the neu may have some better runtimes...i am not sure if you can argue about the heat buildup because the castle has heat sink fins on the case and may just disperse heat better any way...its a tough one..i have a 1717 and a 1521 1y and a 1527 1.5y...i have not done any real testing yet but i am sure i am not going to be disappointed with any of them! it would be nice to know that if you choose to go with a castle that you will get similar performance for less cash
    That does mean more overall power not just more runtime..
    but cost vs performance they could actually come out the same, if that makes sence..
    as for me, I would save the cash and go Castle...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I asked Neu this? What are the actual differences in the 1515 1y Neu and the 1515 1y Castle/Neu motors?Seems the Castle is slightly larger than the regular Neu is there any difference in output/watts?

I got this reply

The Castle motors were designed for use in trucks and buggies with features to suit those applications. Our motors were designed around flying so they are lighter. We also offer a much wider choice of Kv. The design of critical parts of the Castle motors is covered by a license agreement.

James

we need one of the master gurus here to construct a test and shut us all up..maybe mythbusters can do it...i suppose if you are happy with your motor whether it being castle or neu then thats all that matters anyway..i would think you really could not go wrong with castle series if just sport running for fun and not serious racing
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

as they say there designed for different applications, one may work better in a certain area than they other and vice verse.
    i have seen both in cars and there both have stupid amounts of power, combined with lipos run times are what we only dreamed of a few years back.

roughly:
    1515: 1300W
    1518: 1550W
    1520: 1700W
    1717: 1900W

I don't think so. These values are low. I tested the feigao 580 with the cc1515 and with the cc1515 I got more speed and less heat. The 580 is stated for max. 1800-2000 watts so the 1515 is for max.2500 watts I believe or more
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Kinda making sense. but please be aware the "real" Neu 1515 is rated 1250W ONLY. the CastleNeu is slightly bigger.

The BLACK Neu does have another power rating: 2500W for 30 seconds BURST. So you are right, many manufacturers out there play this numeric game with INTENDEDLY forget mentioning CONTINUOUS VS BURST ratings.

OTOH, a direct comparasion between Feigao580 and Castle1515 looks in need of more discussion. They have diff size, diff weight, diff # of rotor poles, diff # of stator slots, diff KV value, diff RPM rating, diff temp grade magnets ....... the 4-pole Neu naturally have more torque than the 2-pole Feigao, the steel cored 12 slotted stator does run more efficiently at low RPMs.....

Dont worry the Neus are better, much better - because Steve Neu designed them. But check the weight, the idle amps, the actual temps, the records in almost every RC discipline to se the difference.

The Castles have an excellent design and execution but the materials are a different thing and that counts. Like comparing a billet race engine and the cast production version. Both are very good.
    Andrew Gilchrist
    www.fastelectrics.com
    right first time solutions

the neu design is carried over to the castle motors, hence the name. Rc boating is the most strenuous on any rc component, i want a comparison here that shows advantage/disadvantage.

Good to see you over here on OSE Andrew. In case no one recognizes his name Andrew is probably one the "gurus" on Neu motors. As far back as I can remember he has been the voice of knowledge/application of Neu motors in boats. Not to mention his other endevours.

John

Either way, NEU motors rock..

John hi, and thanks
    Andrew Gilchrist
    www.fastelectrics.com
    right first time solutions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12