Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle motors Watts?

Question Castle motors Watts?

Does anybody know the watts for these Castle motors 1515, 1518, 1520, 1717?

I have the 1515 and it is slightly bigger than the Neu 1515, hence it can handle more watts I believe. But what are the limits for these motors?
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Not sure, but i have the 1515 and 1518, and they both RIP!! I run the 1518 on 5s2p in a Rico 31 mono with a x548 and It has Tons of power and comes in nice and cool. Gonna swap it out into a DF 33 soon and see what she can do. These are the only specs I know of...http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...le_motors.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Not sure, but i have the 1515 and 1518, and they both RIP!! I run the 1518 on 5s2p in a Rico 31 mono with a x548 and It has Tons of power and comes in nice and cool. Gonna swap it out into a DF 33 soon and see what she can do. These are the only specs I know of...http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...le_motors.html
    What kind of speeds do you think you are getting with the 1518 on 5s?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Looking at the dimensions of the 1518 it is almost the same size with Neu 1521. Same watts?

getting 58 mph with crappy 20c cells. Have some new 30c on the way, and gonna run a pitchier prop. I'm guessing watts are close to the 1521.

Quote Originally Posted by DISAR View Post
    Does anybody know the watts for these Castle motors 1515, 1518, 1520, 1717?

I have the 1515 and it is slightly bigger than the Neu 1515, hence it can handle more watts I believe. But what are the limits for these motors?
    I personaly dont think thats true. Castle is implying on their home page that their Castle-Neu motors are approx. 85% eff. when compared to cheap chi 2 pole motors. And the Castle-Neu motors are made in China, not the USA. They are advertised with sintered rotor magnets. There is nothing in the advertising stating individual continous wattage ratings. Thats why I have my doubts about putting them on parr with Neu's and I bet I am right that they dont exceed Neu ratings even if the can is larger.

John

That's why I am asking here to see if someone has any experience with these motors comparing to Neu. The difference in price is about 50-70$ but do they have same power?

58 mph is very good! with a cool motor.

I know alot of guys love the 1515 motor in their ERevos
    but I don't think they have the exact same power as the NEU motors
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I personally don't see how they'd be different power wise.

Differences could be quality of magnets, iron and of course efficiency. All contribute to how much electrical energy is used effectively and not wasted to heat. Its probably not much, but I have not done any emperical testing to know for sure. Might be little, might be none, might be ?

John

i have a 1717 that i am putting in the df 35 hull...far from completing it though..i will post the results once its done for some more comparison info
    "FE" STANDS FOR FRUSTRATING EXPLOSIONS

Cool

Okay, let's see.....
    - tightness of winds
    - quantity of wire on stator
    - quality/gauge of wire on stator
    - quality of magnets
    - length of magnets on stator
    - temperature limit of magnets
    - quality of bearings
    - air gap between armature and stator
    - quality of armature laminations
    - thickness of armature laminations
    - straightness of armature shaft
    - quality of assembly/endplay

It's easy not to see the differences if you don't want to look very hard......

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Aren't they supposed to be the same motors, but assembled in China? That is what I meant by my comment, Not that I don't understand what makes a motor good or bad. Have YOU seen the differences?

For sure there will be some manufacturing differences but at the end of the day what matters is performance, speed, temperatures and endurance.

But why Castle don't make public the watts of these motors? Probably some kind of deal between Neu and Castle, who knows.
    What I do know is that from my testing a Castle 1515 is better than a Feigao 580. I haven't compared yet with a Neu1515 yet though.

IMO, if you want the edge get the NEU motor

Personally i would ask the manufacturer/distributor of the motors for all specs. White papers should be available on everything, especially high grade electronics/motors.

If manufacturers/distributor remain silent, draw your own conclusions from that. I know i would.

found this

Castle Neu
    -Casing closed
    -Kevlar wrapped magnets Not carbon inside as the "real" Neu
    -Wires comes out on the side, not in the back
    -The motor shaft has a flat spot
    -5x16x5mm Bearings Japan (Koyo or NMB - CNC grade, 100K RPM rated)
    -Laminations M19 non-oriented magnetic steel Japan
    -Magnets Same as Neu – China N38UH magnet
    -Shaft material Stainless - USA
    -Case T6061 – China
    -US source 10 gauge silicone insulated wire
    -60,000 rpm up to 200F

Quote Originally Posted by graill View Post
    Personally i would ask the manufacturer/distributor of the motors for all specs. White papers should be available on everything, especially high grade electronics/motors.

If manufacturers/distributor remain silent, draw your own conclusions from that. I know i would.
    One reason, the problem with posting "real" numbers, other companies will lie to say they have a higher number. This way the results speak for themselves.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by graill View Post

NEU motors are built better and their performance is better
    run cooler, less wasted amps, and more power

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    One reason, the problem with posting "real" numbers, other companies will lie to say they have a higher number. This way the results speak for themselves.
    I agree with that and that's what we need to know from personal experience.

And I will throw this out there..
    If anyone wants to send me a Castle motor and NEU motor of the same size, to do some runs back to back in my MM or big gas KOS I will!

Has any one actually called Castle to ask?

In my opinion, watts are too subjective to be truly measurable. Most brushless outrunner airplane motors just take the max volts the motor will stand by the max amps it will stand, multiply the two and give you watts. Absolutely meaningless. Watts change with battery, prop, etc. In the airplane world, I measure the thrust which is a much truer indication of how the airplane will fly. Then I use a watt meter to make sure I'm not gonna burn up the motor with that prop. With boats, it's much more difficult. Other than an eagle tree system, you can't really know how many amps it is pulling and the prop is often in and out of the water with serious amp spikes going on. I pay attention to not exceed the max amp and max volt ratings for the motor and then check the temps. Works good for me. Too many people want to run 4S on a motor and esc only rated for 3S and then wonder why stuff burns up! Go figure, eh?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

All that I know is that mine work excellent, with very little heat.

Yep, and that's all you or anyone should be worried about.

Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Ryan,
    Did you get the pics and tracking number?

Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Has any one actually called Castle to ask?
    I've seen a few threads through the web on just this topic, and the NEU motors are better than the Castle motors..
    Castle motors are great, but the better of the two is NEU, they are much more efficient

How have people drawn this conclusion? Since my Castle's run very cool, that means they are losing very little power through heat. I'm tempted to get a 1515 neu to compare to my castle/neu.

seems to be a lot of "neu,s are better" but haven't seen any evidence to back that up, and if there was i doubt there would be enough in it to see a difference in most setups

I agree. I also think that if they weren't up to par that Steve Neu wouldn't be afilliating himself with the motors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast