Thread: Flex Shaft Saver

Default Flex Shaft Saver

---
    Last edited by sippirat; 03-17-2010 at 10:03 PM.

I make my props from wood. If they come off, they'll float.
    -t

even with the shaft, dog and nut attached? gotta be pretty hard to find that little prop in a lake.

Well, the hard nut mahogony is hand rubbed so it sparkles. Also, I've injected the hub and the wide part of the blades with Aero-gel so it actually floats.
    -t

Cool

I use wheel collars on the cables of many of my FE boats. Tighten the set screw against the cable with the collar up against the collet - not the stuffing tube. This mounting keeps the cable in the boat and doesn't cause excessive vibration. Another option is slipping silicone fuel tubing over the cable inside the hull....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

btt (pics)

yes wheel collars or you can check any plane magazine or even tower hobbies for them..basically its like your motor coupler yet spinns freely so theres no torque on any bolts which is the root of flex shafts coming off. I'm still waiting on my flex shaft..seems 4 mm and only venom make them so its hard to even use another one...

Default flex shaft saver

Precision Lock Collars from servocity will do the trick
    http://www.servocity.com/html/collars.html
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Just recieved my flex shafts in the mail and aluminum props..I guess venom doesn't change there web site stats everyday they recieve parts...don't have a collar saver but I guess we'll see what happens if I lose another shaft I think I'll be selling this boat for maybe one with a 540 single and call it a day...boats not made to lose shafts..shouldn't need to fly off all the time..if they are fixed right like say a screw hole to hold it in place...

Got my shafts and cast props yesterday..stayed up till 3 in the morning set up greasing and adjusting trim..boat ran great today awesome..sure I was a lil scared to open her up alot in fear of losing another shaft and or prop..might go back to the plastic props just so if I do I won't be spending another 30 bucks for props...anyways my question is this you have to actually cut the flex shaft to fit..now how do you get the metal wounds not to unwrap themselfs or not so much unwrap but become loose and cause restriction from going into shaft housing and into the motor coupler..any remedies would be great..every time I install it it acts as if its been blocked off by something and the slightly unwrapped wounds actually cause it. ohhhh lol installed the props backwards and was trying to figure out why she kept going in reverse..so I switchs sides and she ran forward lol kinda funny..

I need flex shafts. Just venom and they said 2 weeks.

Hi i am new a this i am looking at the king of shave pro and cons and how fast are they

I now carry the venom shafts. I am waiting on more stubs as I sold several in two days. They are the same exact size and install easily.

You can go to my site if interested. I sell L and R and Both as a set.

So theres no need to cut cause even the venom shafts need about 5-6mm cut in order to fit..but I will be ordering from you and have already have your web site on my favorites and this is a very good thing and if quality is better I don't mind paying more. Ran the boat today hit some chop had a turn over..landed back top side up and kept driving so this hull is very strong to say the least..now i'm gona run it till the motors die or the ESC..I think with a bigger ESC you could easily run 5S lipos till they fry but if you take care of it and not full throttle your whole run this helps. I also noticed that there really is no point to full throttle from a stand still yet half throttle and once she starts plaining open up on the throttle..this saves battery and could be one reason the shafts keep getting lost... theres lil tricks you can do to keep this boat running good...I also use WD-40 after a fresh water flush thru the lines and let it sit since I run in the ocean with this boat...but thanks again for taking the time to sell these shafts we all need them more thna anything...

I was told by Venom that most cables lost are due to coming out of the coupler and not tightening the set screws good. Always use locktite on those.

Well it seems the set screws are crap I use a 1 Allen hex and it's basically stripped. Best advice is to use a star key of the same size. More points for it to grap too really.

R u tAlking about the collers cause the same *!***!***!***!** happed to me.

Well maybe some couplers are in order as well. The smallest I use is 6/32.

I already have the specs on them and would be easy to make a better version

Quote Originally Posted by VIKOS View Post
    Got my shafts and cast props yesterday..stayed up till 3 in the morning set up greasing and adjusting trim..boat ran great today awesome..sure I was a lil scared to open her up alot in fear of losing another shaft and or prop..might go back to the plastic props just so if I do I won't be spending another 30 bucks for props...anyways my question is this you have to actually cut the flex shaft to fit..now how do you get the metal wounds not to unwrap themselfs or not so much unwrap but become loose and cause restriction from going into shaft housing and into the motor coupler..any remedies would be great..every time I install it it acts as if its been blocked off by something and the slightly unwrapped wounds actually cause it. ohhhh lol installed the props backwards and was trying to figure out why she kept going in reverse..so I switchs sides and she ran forward lol kinda funny..
    You have to solder the ends of cables after you cut them or they will unravel.If thats what you mean by the metal wounds to not unwrap themselves.Rcraceboats.com sells some parts for the ekos.shafts too.Im thinking of running wire drives and octura couplers.No more set screws to worry about.Venom does not use locktite on anything.You have to do it yourself before the 1st trip out.Lost one of mine cause I didnt check anything.

Vikos, You have to be shure you have the right flex cable in the correct side or else the cables could unwind regardless of Solder or set screws.

The wire twist in the cables is opposite and if installed wrong it is not going to be good sooner than later. Just a caution, hopefully you have it right.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Someone told me the Octura Hex is hard to tighten in that area. I think they work great but you have to be able to get them tight.

The wiredrives are working great form the input I have gotten back from customers.

I am also now soldering the ends and they come with new stuffing tubes that fit perfectly.

You have me thinking now Jeff. I better check I can do flex hex's. I still have some wire drive kicking about, maybe some couplers. LYK.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I would think you could get some wrenches in there and get them tight.

I also had a couple people put the wrong cable in the wrong side because I did not mark them. There is an easy way to see which is left and right.

Have I told anyone how much I hate Venom products?The ekos hull is nice, but the innards arent worth a hoot.Why would anyone buy a boat only to literally HAVE to put aftermarket parts in it to make it a dependable boat?I definitely learned the hard way from my mistake.