Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: It's Official- IMPBA D12 is racing FE's in 2010 !!!!

Cool! Looking forward to it.

Race #2 in the District 12 Points chase this weekend in Queestown, MD (just east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge). I dont think anyone ran FE's in the Greensboro race a few weeks ago. Looks like Kent and I will be running our JAE's against the nitro boys. Don't know about any one else. I will also be running my P-mono with the B-Mono's and my Gas Sniper in Stock gas. If anyone lives in the area, drop on by and say hi!

Good luck Mike and Kent!!!!!
    I spent the day recovering from the Charleston race.
    Man what a ride!!!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    Good luck Mike and Kent!!!!!
    I spent the day recovering from the Charleston race.
    Man what a ride!!!

Doug

Thanks Doug! You have been a true inspiration to us! Thanks again for taking the time to help us out in Dist. 12...You Da Man!!

Here's a couple of pics of my newly finished ride...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Nice job on the JAE Kent!!!! You're gonna love that boat!!

Good luck!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    Nice job on the JAE Kent!!!! You're gonna love that boat!!

Good luck!
    Doug
    Thanks! Should be fun!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Thanks Doug. Unfortunately I only have a 1450 to run in the JAE. I don't think the Andy Brown H7 I bought on IW will get here in time with the short work week and I dont have enough time to send the raw one to Chuck. The good news is John Finch offered to show me how to cup a prop this weekend. Do you think I should let him touch my prop? The 1450 is still a solid prop. It's going to be a good time no matter what!

Oh man, not sure about that Finch guy, better ask around.

I agree on the 1450.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Yo Mike...is that a Mark Sholund 1450?
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Yes it is with 3.2" of cup. The boat has a real nice ride attitude with it but the speed is not quite where I think it should be. Mark wanted to do a little more work on it but I told him I wanted to keep is as is for my BU/sport prop. The used Andy Brown H7 I purchased has 3.6" of cup. Apparantly it wont be put in the mail til tomorrow, so I'll save it for the Capitol Race.

Mike, your build looks great! I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you. You'll like Andy's You made a good choice going to him for this custom work. Meanwhile, watch out because Chuck has some tricks up his sleeve and may just beat you with one of his custom jobs!

LOL, now I have to get out to test and get up to speed
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Actually Ben, I'm getting the prop from a guy on International Waters that had a bunch of used Andy Brown props for sale. I needed a H7 quick and for $30 shipped I had to jump on it. As it turns out the gentleman just got back from vacation so I wont get it in time for this weekend, but no biggie. I wouldnt trade the mono props that Chuck did for my for anything. I'm glad he's getting to do more gas props also.

Mike,

Tell John Finch I said Hello.

I shall!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    ...I'm glad he's getting to do more gas props also.
    LOL, at least they're big enough to hold onto!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Only four days to the Capitol Race. Unfortunately registration is down from last year with the lousy economy. We got the course up on Sunday. All my boats are ready to go. I switched over to 2.4g so hopefully no more glitches. I have a new turn fin and fresh booms on the JAE with a few H7's (Mark Sholund & Andy Brown) to try out. The gas Sniper will be doing double duty as I volunteered to run offshore to ensure there are enough entries to run the class. That makes four classes for me, plus my oldest son will run novice and I have to watch both kids (mom will be out of town) and run the retrieval boat. It should be interesting.....

Dick Loeb told me a few weeks ago he was going to have a P-mono ready for this race. We'll see if Mike got it finished for him. Other that that I don't know if we have any more FE's running this race. I guess someone has to do the dirty work.
    Last edited by Chilli; 06-22-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Only four days to the Capitol Race. Unfortunately registration is down from last year with the lousy economy. We got the course up on Sunday. All my boats are ready to go. I switched over to 2.4g so hopefully no more glitches. I have a new turn fin and fresh booms on the JAE with a few H7's to try out. The gas Sniper will be doing double duty as I volunteered to run offshore to ensure there are enough entries to run the class. That makes four classes for me, plus my oldest son will run novice and I have to watch both kids (mom will be out of town) and run the retrieval boat. It should be interesting.....

Dick Loeb told me a few weeks ago he was going to have a P-mono ready for this race. We'll see if Mike got it finished for him. Other that that I don't know if we have any more FE's running this race. I guess someone has to do the dirty work.
    I wish I could be there with ya man! Looks like you will be going full tilt with everything...you will be fine! I hope the new JAE fin will bring you some good luck!! Your gas Sniper should do very well...beautiful boat and looks to be trimed out well!

I wish you the best this weekend Mike! Tell Carl, Tracy, Dick (Hi to Carol "the Cookie Lady"!), James and Robin I said good luck to them as well!! Please give me an update on how well everything is going there...I will be very curious!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Sorry you can't make it Kent. John will miss your Snickers bars. LOL. See you down in Chesapeake in August. Hopefully we can get together before then. Get out there and run some laps with the DELMARVA Club!

Tell John I will bring him some more Snicker's bars when I see you guys next time around. At least Carol will have some awesome cookies there!! .....Oh yeah, tell John that I also wish him good luck in the novice class!

Have a great time...Keep me informed!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

How many boats do you have registered? I remember when (late 80's to mid 90's) the Capitol RC'ers would have 180 to 200 boats registered and we wondered how we were going to get all the heats ran in two days. Then there was the 1990 NAMBA Nationals and I can't even remember how many boats we had then.

Sounds as though your hands will be more than full - kids, boats, and retrieval, WOW! Good luck to you and the Capitol RC'ers my friend.

Mike I will not be able to make it this weekend - I am on call for work.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Thanks Dennis. Today is final day for registration. I don't know if we'll have a hundred boats this weekend. Very few if any of the Delmarva club is showing up. We're a bit disappointed but we'll have a good time no matter what. Less boats, less heats = less rush and more relaxed fun.

See you in Chesapeake Chuck.

Well Race 3 in the D12 is over. I'm exhausted!!! We had to set up and break down with temps pushing 100 degrees. Thankfully no rain though. I was the only FE racing this weekend. Dick Loeb mentioned bringing his P-mono but he told me it wasnt running up to his standards yet so he kept it home. I ran 16 heats this weekend. Great practice. Some heats I looked great and got complements on my driving. Other times I looked like the sophmore that I am. Overall I came in first with the JAE in B/P-spec Hydro and third place in Stock Gas and Open offshore with my Sniper. I had some good moments and bad in all the classes. Yesterday I was running great with the JAE. Competition was a bit tougher than the last race but we still had many dead boats. I finished yesterday with two firsts and a third. This morning I had a rough stretch. I was a bit tired and it showed. I ran the JAE into a bank in my first heat of the day. Then a half hour later I ran up the ar$$$ of another boat at the start of the stock gas heat and munched a prop (other boat Okay and finished the heat). I rushed to clear the water out of the gas motor and do a prop swap as I was running back to back heats. I was very relieved getting it done, but then my pit man did one of those 180 degree barrel roll launches. Well, that's racing I guess. I took a break, got my stuff back together and ran some pretty good heats later in the morning in my final gas heats.

Now I havent mentioned my P-mono. I have been having problems the last two races and I think I have the situation solved but I welcome anyones input. The last two races I have had two speed controller thermaling on me on the mono after a few laps. This was the same set up that proved so reliable last year. I thought it may have been the radio's but I switched to 2.4 gig so that isnt the problem. Now during the last two race weekends, I had my FE mono and hydro heats very close together so I had to tape up the mono and let it sit for 20 minutes with the batterys all hooked up (RX off). Both races temps have been in the 90's. I was thinking maybe the heat was causing the problem. So on the final heat, I taped up the Titan on the clock (it's not like I have anything else to do). The result was no shutdown and the mono ran beautifully.

Thats about it. I did damgage the tub of my JAE. So I'll get to work fixing that. Our course is a bit narrow on the back stretch. I think I was one of about 5 to hit the bank. Here is a picture of my poor baby.

Next race. Chesapeake, VA in the Last week in August. We shoud have our larges FE showing of the year at that race with maybe a half dozen racers. Dick wants to do a FE shootout. I'll pass on the details as they come out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chilli; 06-27-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Argh Matey! I like the skull and X bones! That's great that you managed 1st overall!! Sorry about the bad luck with the JAE running ashore....at least it was in the final round! It sucks having to fix something after a race and then hoping you did a good enough job to run the last heat with it the next day!! I don't know anything about that at ALL!! LMOA!!

Have you thought about using a different ESC in your Titan? How about the motor? Does it seem ok? Solder joints ok on all the bullets?

Great job again Mike!!!!!!! Get some rest my freind! Email or PM me in the day sometime tomorrow...

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12

Nice work Mike!!!
    Sorry about the carnage, but it could have been much worse ehh??

Oh, thanks for testing the tubs for us, we haven't tested them... yet!!

Get some rest man!!
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Thanks Doug! As you can see the tub buckled a bit behind the front boom. I hope I didnt screw up the boom alignment.

Kent, I'm back using the Turnigy 180 for now but remember I switched back to my trusty Etti 150 at the DELMARVA race and the same thing occured. I ran that setup the previous year with no problems. Once I went to the last second tape up, the problem went away. I did get my CC240 back from warranty work but I'm saving that for a rainy day, or untill we get some real P-mono competition.

One side note (District 12 FE growing pain). On the first spec-hydro heat I did the "pull into the infield" manuver. Robbin didnt realize what I was doing and freaked on the back stretch. He ended up flipping his outboard rigger. On the following heats, I yelled out "pulling into the infield" just to remind people.

I posted a few pics on IW. There are probably a few faces you' guys will recongnize.
    Last edited by Chilli; 06-28-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345