Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's Official- IMPBA D12 is racing FE's in 2010 !!!!

Glad you had good day. I was at the pond for about 5 hours today. Had a good time but was chasing some gremlins. Mikeys new boat was the first one in. I was surprised how the little Titan 29 handled the chop. I only have her set up for around 40 mph but other than some prop steer from turning the M445 with the 10XL, she did good. Then we had problems with Johns boat but isolated the problem to a bad crystal. She ran great with the new M445 you cut for me. Next came the gas Sniper. I couldnt have dreamed to have nailed the set up as well as I did. She screamed across the water and turned on a time without loosing any power in the turns. She ran just a touch wet in the calm water with just a hint of bow steer. Then on the second run, bad news. I was bringing her in and the throttle cut off was not working. I brough her back around and tried turning off the transmitter to engage the failsafe. Didnt work. I did a rookie move and paniced a bit running her onto the rocks. Turns out when the motor warmed up, the carb butterfly shaft was binding a little and would not let her down past quarter throttle. Oh well. Its a race boat and now it looks the part. Scratched the hull up pretty bad, kick back bolt on the rudder did it's job. Bent some of the hardware on the strut. Worst of all doinked up my $70, X472 prop. Threw the Titan 33 in with the new CC240 controller. She ran like she only had 3S packs in her. I will check the settings and connections and see what the problem is.

Have a good week!

That is both good and bad news Mike. I am sure you will get things sorted out. A couple of guys had problems getting their boats to run as it was the first time we were allowed to use the lake this year. It looks like the club has found another lake in Va Bch (about 10 minutes from my house) for next year. They are working out the details with the city now.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

missed it yesterday chuck,next time

Default First D12 Race for 2010

Here is the flyer for the Carolina Showdown. Its the first D12 Race of the season and the first ever D12 race where FE's will be running with nitro classes. Not all the offered classes are listed on the flyer. Write in what you want to run. D12 FE rules are in the latest IMPBA Roostertails news letter and should be posted in the D12 web site soon. I do plan on attending.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you going to race any boats or going as a spectator?
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I'm not going to drive 5 hours to sit on the sidelines Chuck. I'll be running P-Spec Rigger, P-mono and Stock Gas. Hotel reservations at the Red Roof Inn were only $50 a night. How about you. Thinking about coming down?
    Last edited by Chilli; 03-29-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Question for you guys. I am not a IMPBA member, but would like to check out the race since I have never been to one. Do I have to be a member to be a spectator or can me and my wife just show up for the event to check it out?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

No, you don't have to be a member to watch. I went to the big race last August before I joined and it was great to watch and see all the boats and team areas.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

You can also stroll though the pit area and shoot the breeze with any of the racers. The only place that is off limits is the Hot Pits area which is a small area that should be roped off and well marked. This is where the gas/nitro guys crank up their boats before a heat.

Very cool, i'll see if the wife is interested in going. Thanks alot.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I see your in the aviation business Dale. Where do you work out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I see your in the aviation business Dale. Where do you work out of?
    Currently I work at Charlotte-Douglas International (CLT), but in my career I have worked at:

Cincinnatti/Northern Kentucky (CVG)
    Dulles International (IAD)
    Columbus International (CMH)
    Pittsburgh International (PIT)
    Reagan National (DCA)
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Cool. I'm an air traffic controller at Washington Center in Leesburg but the airspace I work is southeastern Virginia and the eastern half of NC (east of GSO). I do work all the CLT departures going the northeast. I'm sure I've worked some of your birds at one time or another. Ive been there 22 years.

Cool. I'm an air traffic controller at Washington Center in Leesburg but the airspace I work is southeastern Virginia and the eastern half of NC (east of GSO). I do work all the CLT departures going the northeast. I'm sure I've worked some of your birds at one time or another. Ive been there 22 years.
    That's awesome, i wanted to go to ATC school ( I was looking at Embry Riddle), a few years ago, but never went through with it . I love my job though, and aviation in genera. I'm sure you have worked my birds before callsign brickyard, chautauqua, mercury
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Yep, every day.

BTW- If your wife has no idea how much you spend on boats, you might not want to take her to the race. She's going to see 20 foot trailers with a dozen boats in them, generators and A/C. She won't let you near us again. LOL Hope to meet you next month. Keep in touch. Maybe you'll get the bug and we can get you out there racing with us in the future. The racing is fun but even better, they are a great bunch of people!

Yep, every day.

BTW- If your wife has no idea how much you spend on boats, you might not want to take her to the race. She's going to see 20 foot trailers with a dozen boats in them, generators and A/C. She won't let you near us again. LOL Hope to meet you next month. Keep in touch. Maybe you'll get the bug and we can get you out there racing with us in the future. The racing is fun but even better, they are a great bunch of people!
    She has a little bit of a clue (she did buy me my ul-1 for x-mas), but everytime she sees a package in the mail she just shakes her head and says I dont even want to know lol. Hopefully we can make it their. Ill let you know. Thanks for all the great info and keep in touch.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I posted some pics from last year - posts 32 and 33.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ht=race&page=2
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Guys, I updated my "Newbie's guide to a D12 Race Weekend" It may not be perfect, but there is alot of good info in it for first time race participants. It's a Word ".doc" file. Let me know if there are any corrections needed or questions.

Thanks!

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I posted some pics from last year - posts 32 and 33.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ht=race&page=2
    That looks fun as hell. You weren't lying about trailors full of boats that's awesome. Maybe if the wife sees how many boats you guys have she won't think im bad...

One thing I don't understand is the class's, hows that work and what does it mean?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Guys, I updated my "Newbie's guide to a D12 Race Weekend" It may not be perfect, but there is alot of good info in it for first time race participants. It's a Word ".doc" file. Let me know if there are any corrections needed or questions.

Thanks!

Mike
    Printing it now, thanks so much.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I work friday and saturdays so is their a good bit of racing on sundays?
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

From my experience we'll be racing probably from 8am to at least 2pm. They try to wrap it up as early as possible because many of us have a long ride home on Sunday.

The rules are a little hard to digest. It takes a while to put it all together. The current FE rules are in the December 2008 IMPBA Roostertails. Thats the IMPBA's quarterly newsletter. Page 11 has all the info on the classes.
    http://www.impba.net/attachments/152_Dec08.pdf

To simplify the classes, they are generally divided by battery voltage and hull types. "P" is 4S Lipo's, "Q" is 6S Lipos, etc. The basic hull types are mono and hydro. Hydros can also subdivided into more specialized classes such as sport hydro, tunnels and cats. Clubs and Districts can run any of these classes or create their own to suite the demands of it's membership.

The Carolina race will mark the first time FE classes will be run in D12. They are letting us run the "P" (4S) powered boats with the "B" (.21) nitro boats. The FE classes being run will be P-mono, P-Spec Hydro and P-Spec Tunnel. The P-mono boats will run under IMPBA rules, you can run any motor you want. Our "spec" classes are not IMPBA classes but District 12 classes that we wrote our own rules for. However our rules are adopted from sucessful classes run in other districts and NAMBA. So the P-spec hydros and P-spec tunnels that will run are required to use either the UL-1, BJ26 or SV27 motor and ESC.

From my experience we'll be racing probably from 8am to at least 2pm. They try to wrap it up as early as possible because many of us have a long ride home on Sunday.

The rules are a little hard to digest. It takes a while to put it all together. The current FE rules are in the December 2008 IMPBA Roostertails. Thats the IMPBA's quarterly newsletter. Page 11 has all the info on the classes.
    http://www.impba.net/attachments/152_Dec08.pdf

To simplify the classes, they are generally divided by battery voltage and hull types. "P" is 4S Lipo's, "Q" is 6S Lipos, etc. The basic hull types are mono and hydro. Hydros can also subdivided into more specialized classes such as sport hydro, tunnels and cats. Clubs and Districts can run any of these classes or create their own to suite the demands of it's membership.

The Carolina race will mark the first time FE classes will be run in D12. They are letting us run the "P" (4S) powered boats with the "B" (.21) nitro boats. The FE classes being run will be P-mono, P-Spec Hydro and P-Spec Tunnel. The P-mono boats will run under IMPBA rules, you can run any motor you want. Our "spec" classes are not IMPBA classes but District 12 classes that we wrote our own rules for. However our rules are adopted from sucessful classes run in other districts and NAMBA. So the P-spec hydros and P-spec tunnels that will run are required to use either the UL-1, BJ26 or SV27 motor and ESC.
    It's starting to come together. So can you run any type of mono hydro ect as long as it fits lenght, weight voltage ect.? Like Sv's running with DF's or HOR 25" mono would that be P-Mono?
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 04-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Technically yes, but in a heat with up to 6 boats, the water is going to get pretty choppy. A SV 27 in P-mono is more often than not going to end up on it's lid and will be a hazard to other racers. You probably want a hull at least 29 inches in P-mono. The spec classes are very popular because you can get the motor and esc cheap here on OSE. You can run a sport hydro in the hydro class, but you will be racing mostly against riggers so it will be hard to keep up with them. What I suggest to people who are thinking about racing but are not quite sure is to run novice class for a year if it's offered. You can run justs about any boat in D12 novice except a rigger. Learn how to race and get familier with the classes and racers. If you get the bug like me and Chuck, then you can build yourself a race boat over the next winter.

Technically yes, but in a heat with up to 6 boats, the water is going to get pretty choppy. A SV 27 in P-mono is more often than not going to end up on it's lid and will be a hazard to other racers. You probably want a hull at least 29 inches in P-mono. The spec classes are very popular because you can get the motor and esc cheap here on OSE. You can run a sport hydro in the hydro class, but you will be racing mostly against riggers so it will be hard to keep up with them. What I suggest to people who are thinking about racing but are not quite sure is to run novice class for a year if it's offered. You can run justs about any boat in D12 novice except a rigger. Learn how to race and get familier with the classes and racers. If you get the bug like me and Chuck, then you can build yourself a race boat over the next winter.
    A SV on it's lid, NEVER that...lol, well I will say this if It wasn't for me having a SV the tought of getting a rescue boat would have never crossed my mind.

Slowly Slowly starting to understand this. Thanks for tolerating my questions!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I just got the ODMBA race classes for the year as the first club race is this coming weekend.

Stock Gas
    Novice
    Sport 40
    Open Mono - Gas AND Nitro
    RTR .18 Hydro (no riggers) (water cooled)
    20 Mono
    20 Rigger
    Open Offshore
    40 O/B Tunnel
    Open Hydro - Gas AND Nitro (no riggers)
    20 O/B Tunnel
    Open Rigger (Gas AND Nitro)

We will put in electrics where applicable, sail powered hydroplanes, turbines, nuclear powered, steam and what ever else you can dream up!

As Bob Dylan sang "The times they are a changin"
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Cool, Let us know how it goes. The club classes are very similar to the District. Anyone else from Team Fear going to join you?

BTW- I read on the gas board that a few of your fellow club members may be at the club lake Thursday at 4pm for a final test n tune.
    Last edited by Chilli; 04-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Mike - what forum do the guys frequent as I would like to join so I could keep in touch with whats going on.

As far as the other guys from Team Fear go I don't know as they didn't say anything to me last Sunday about the upcoming race and I am not sure if they have joined the ODMBA club yet.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

www.intlwaters.com is where the nitro guys hang out. Dick Loeb's screen name is "moonlighter112"

www.jrcbd.com is where the gas dudes hang.

I was a member at IW but can't seem to log on anymore. I will send an email to see what happened and I will check out the other one.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast