Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official- IMPBA D12 is racing FE's in 2010 !!!!

I have no idea what to expect. Just want to be prepared. Me and you are the only P-mono's as far as I know so we have to play nice if we want to run. Hopefully someday we can run our own class and let her rip.

Since there are no major objections on this board or the International Waters board by D12 members, I have submitted the FE Rules found on post 9 of this thread to Don for final approval. The D12 web site is being updated by the new administrator and the 2010 district race dates have been posted. Nothing left to do now except build some boats and go racing!!!

Just thinking out loud about P Mono and what I would show up with if I were in your shoes.

I think I'd put my P Offshore setup on the water for the first race. It's very fast as it's my P mono setup with an X445 rather than an X450 (shaved to an X448), but safe on the amps and It will run for nearly 5 minutes. Get out on the clock, do 2 mill laps, race the 6, then the cool down and into the dock. I bet that would be a total runtime of 2:45 +/-.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    ...Me and you are the only P-mono's as far as I know so we have to play nice if we want to run....
    I'm planning on running that little No Step 1 for a good showing. I'll jump over the wake in the back, no problem. I believe I can set it up fairly stable, but it'll only be going 40-42mph.

Just trying to help
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Thats awesome Ben. Stable is better than speed!!!

David what motor are you running with those props? Chuck and I are running the 1515 1Y. With a 642 I could do one mill lap, 6 heat laps and the dreaded cool down lap and thats about all my Etti 150 could safely handle. I just put a CC 240 in my Titan 33 and the cool down lap will no longer be required.

Does my Pistolero22 count? It begins with P
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My P mono setup is a Titan 33, 1521 1.5D, Castle 240. I guess that would have been good info to share! I was just making a general comment that a/any P Offshore setup may be an option for that first race.

Thats cool David. Appreciate the info. I was thinking you were probably running the 1521. Do you run any ballast on your Titan to keep her on the water? I have about a pound of lead in mine.

I tried to call Dick at ODMBA today but got a recording ... will try again tomorrow.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Nope.

I use 4S2P 10,000 G3 25C Hyperion's. I'm not sure where I'm at w/the COG measurement...but the cells are 1/2 way tucked under the forward deck, if that makes sense. Motor aft of the cells. I kept dialing in tab/strut trim until it gave a slight hint of bow steer in calm water by myself, then I backed it off a hair. It's the only P mono that finished all 6 heats at the Az race 2 weekends ago. In fact, I can't recall the last time that boat DNF'd...P mono and P Offshore at the '09 Nats-nope. P Offshore at the Az race 2 weeks ago...nope...2008 Canadian Nat's took 2nd place in P Offshore behind Peterson, but I don't recall DNF'ing. Won P mono there with it, too.

Sorry-got side-tracked. Needless to say that boat likes to come back to the dock.

I just got off the phone with Dick and things are good to go ... he seems to be very receptive to FE and told me quite a bit about the tunnels they are building. Looking forward to running with the guys!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

For clarity sake, does the tunnel have to have an FE outboard or can it have a mock outboard setup for the look and in fact be an inboard? I'd hate to consider something like that if it isn't going to be allowed.

In the spec class, it's the stock motor with no modifications or ever being opened up. For the unrestricted motor class, is there anything that would prevent someone from taking the motor apart and apply thread to keep the magnets in place or is it any motor period, modded or not?

Also, for these racing classes, only 4s and a maximum of 2p is allowable? Could someone explain why a 2s2p setup wouldn't be acceptable? I'm not trying to change any rules, but I am interested why it is 4s vice 'up to 4s'.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Ben, Tunnels have to be outboard powered. In the P-Spec class, no modifications to the motor are allowed. In the P class, anything goes. For the batteries, I just adopted the NAMBA rules which is what the memebers that attended the D12 meeting wanted. Looks like the voltage range in the rules cover 3S and 4S.

In other news, the race flyer was posted for the first D12 race (Carolina Showdown) in the International Waters Forum and there are no FE classes listed on the flyer. It is customary to include all the classes that the district chooses to run on the race fliers. FE's were not the only classes excluded. A few nitro classes that are in the D12 points series were also left out. Obviously I am not happy about this. But rather that getting in a pissing contest with the gentleman who posted the flyer, I'm keeping quiet for now because I feel this is District matter. Don is aware of the situation. I talked to my club president and he assured me the matter will get straightened out. I just hope this is not a trend that the other clubs will follow. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of all we have worked for over the last year.
    Last edited by Chilli; 03-09-2010 at 09:09 PM.

maybe they dont have a headcount of willing participants to warrant a fe race that day..and its club dependant to include it,if odmba is ok dont mean the others are

Hey Don. Good hearing from you. Since we are running combined classes this year, I thought it would be a no brainer. Plus I would think the host club would have an obligation to let racers outside the district know that the B's and P's will be racing together. I know a few of the D13 guys will show. Blaise said all IMBPA classes can run if there is enough participation, but P-hydro and P-tunnel are not IMPBA classes. They are district classes. Thats just my opinion and I'm sure it aint worth a hill of beans so I won't get involved. It would be nice to see the FE classes on the flyers though so we can attract new racers. I PM'ed Doug Smock and he described what was happening as growing pains. I thing he hit the nail on the head.

We'll, as it turns out, the gentleman that was tasked to do the race flyer for the Piedmont club was not aware the district is running combined classes this year. No one from the club attended the district meeting (it's a long drive) and I suspected that may have been part of the problem. So no biggie. The first little speed bump has be negotiated. I fully expect a few more as people get exposed to the new rules.

Initially I wasnt going to attend the Greensboro race, but there will probably be a few Spec Tunnels in attendance so I want to be there and see if any problems arise. I'll be bringing the rigger, mono and gas boat. We'll see what happens.

I tried to upload the Greensboro flyer here, but apparently the file is too big. I'll figure a way to get it posted here. We have two months till the race and I know most of you guys were not planning on attending this one anyhow.

Have a good weekend guys!!! Looks like lots of rain.

Mike

Can I change the stock bullet connectore on a spec motor/esc to 5.5 without pissin' someone off?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes Sir.

Sweet!
    I'll race the CF Zephyer 27 with the UL-1 power plant on 4S2P.

My viper with the Neu 1512 2D will be my sport hydro.

Can my micro Kat race in any class?

That Zephyer is a good looking boat. What kind of packs will you be running Danny? You shouldnt need more that 4500 mAh total and thats being very conservative.

About the only thing the micro cat could run in is novice. And if you run novice, you can't run in any other class except perhaps a nitro RTR class.

Danny, we'll have to do an exhibition showing what the other models can do. Maybe we can generate more interest as well. Perhaps this would be best done during open water.

I'd love to see some sort of SAWS event maybe next year.

The info isnt out yet but District 12 Spring SAW Event - Elizabeth City, NC April 8-11

Allowing FE? What are the guidelines/rules? Wow, I'd have to work quick!

I think the SAWS event runs who ever shows up. I have no idea of the rules. Doug Smock is the IMPBA Records Director and a record holder so I'm sure he would know.
    Last edited by Chilli; 03-13-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Thumbs up

You can find the events in the ''Year list of Events" on the IMPBA website.http://www.impba.net/index.php?optio...nts&Itemid=155
    Some events will be ''all IMPBA classes" some will have restrictions. Valdosta for instance is usually just FEs.
    Some will be 1/16th mile straightaway, some will be 1/3 & 1/4 mile oval, some will run them all. It depends on what the host club and CD want to do.
    The rules are in the rulebook.
    http://www.impba.net/images/stories/Rulebook/sec-g.pdf starting on G-9.

The classes and new FE rules are in the Dec.2008 Roostertail starting on page 10.
    http://www.impba.net/attachments/152_Dec08.pdf

The rulebook is scheduled for a makeover this year. The rules have been changing on all fronts faster than it has been updated.

Hope this helps.
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Sweet!
    I'll race the CF Zephyer 27 with the UL-1 power plant on 4S2P.

My viper with the Neu 1512 2D will be my sport hydro.
    UL1 motor on 4s 4200mah is more than enough in that Zephyer 27 also that boat will
    like that 1512 2d motor much better than that Viper will!

Congrats guys on getting your club going!

That is most certainly true, but unfortunately I am being told what I can and cannot put in the Zephyer 27.

That is most certainly true, but unfortunately I am being told what I can and cannot put in the Zephyer 27.
    That is correct, you are being told...

None of this:

While running a brushless motor, we typically remove the motor decal to install a water jacket correct? What's to stop someone from getting one of these Ammo 36-56-2600 and passing it off as a UL-1 spec motor 36-56-2030? Both are the same gold color, both are the exact same dimensions. How would one know? Shouldn't there be more validation for this?

Meanwhile, I'm hoping no one will say anything about my over-sized turn fin.

Hey Chuck, Did you run with ODMBA today? If so, how did it go?

Yes - and I was told that my P-mono was competitive (in the 50's now). I just need a bit more time around the buoys (I burned up another speed controller on the 6th lap - this time it was a faulty speed controller). The boat was running wet so I will make adjustments and I will be back tomorrow! I think the guys were a bit surprised about the speed and stability of my boat at about 34". Thanks for asking Mike!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast