Thread: VS1 Clear Coat

Default VS1 Clear Coat

New to boating. Could anyone tell what type of clear is used on the wood of the VS1. I purchased a new one and would like to re-clear the wood to make sure that it is sealed. I am not sure what to use. Any information would be great. Thanks

I believe it's finishing epoxy. That's what I used to blueprint the sponson bottoms.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    I believe it's finishing epoxy. That's what I used to blueprint the sponson bottoms.
    I don't think so. I just stripped mine and used off the shelf paint stripper. Came off with scotch pads once it sat for about a 1/2 hour.

What ever it was covered with it was absolute garbage. I am refinishing it with Wes Systems as a base and then rattle can it. The problem is at the factory they really don't seal it very well. They miss a lot of edges, nooks and crannies. This leads to water soaking in and pieces coming unglued. They also experience mold build up in the wood.

Good running boat just remember it's made in China buy people making a couple of bucks a day. Do you really think they care how well they finish it?

Good luck with the Project.

Oh yeah. UL1 motor and start with an x440/3 cupped up. Once you start playing with props it's good for about 50mph. 4s1p 5000 will do it too.

HT

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post

What ever it was covered with it was absolute garbage. The problem is at the factory they really don't seal it very well. They miss a lot of edges, nooks and crannies. This leads to water soaking in and pieces coming unglued. They also experience mold build up in the wood.
    HT
    My dad has one that is doing that, Iam rebuilding it now I had to cut out alot of the wood and replace it.

I was going to order a VS1 for myself but not after this.

Thanks for the information.... I am planning on re-sealing it and then spraying it with an automotive clear that Grim Racer said he uses. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    My dad has one that is doing that, Iam rebuilding it now I had to cut out alot of the wood and replace it.

I was going to order a VS1 for myself but not after this.
    Still a good hull for the price. As a matter of fact they handle great. Some guys will charge you $325 for just a bare hull. So all in all order the hull and just refinish it.

HT

So you are going to strip all their epoxy off? Are there any specific spots I should worry about. I have one I bought used and was just going to gear it up but if it needs work I should do it!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bcr45 View Post
    Thanks for the information.... I am planning on re-sealing it and then spraying it with an automotive clear that Grim Racer said he uses. Thanks again.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I am going to check all the seams and make sure they are fillled with epoxy like the instructions say. Then if some need filling I am going to fill them. After this I am going to scuff the clear that is on it and re-clear it. This is to prevent any water from getting into the wood or boat. I was asking to see what other boaters did to their VS1 boats. This is my plans.

I found a couple of areas I filled with epoxy with micro baloons along the center section
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    So you are going to strip all their epoxy off? Are there any specific spots I should worry about. I have one I bought used and was just going to gear it up but if it needs work I should do it!
    Jim

I am pretty sure it is not Epoxy. Am I invisible or something? Paint stripper would not take off Epoxy.

Why do I bother trying?

It would depend on what type of paint stripper it is.
    Aircraft type is very strong and will remove paints you wouldnt thin can be removed.
    T.C.

It's not epoxy. Very cheap lacquer type coating but easily sands off. Listen to Howard.

The only thing bad about the hull is the coating. A bit of sanding and west systems or sim will take care of the seams that may not have been sealed properly.

When setup properly it is a very good hull. I have ran mine on spec power and it get's into the low 50's with good handling characteristics. No one I know of sells a wooden hull assembled for that kind of $.

Sounds like it will be worth sanding the coating off and resealing and maybe throwing a paint job on mine
    Jim
    Last edited by JimClark; 02-18-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Billy Graham

Spray the outside with two coats of this stuff. It will seal the original finish just fine.Link
    You may still want to re-seal the inside with finishing resin/epoxy.

I have PPG auto clear I could just use that
    Jim
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    Spray the outside with two coats of this stuff. It will seal the original finish just fine.Link
    You may still want to re-seal the inside with finishing resin/epoxy.
    Just ordered some to test it out. The fuel guys have been getting good results with it.

HT

If LuckyDuc's clear coat ia anything the PPG stuff I have I haven't found anything that it won't go over.
    Mine is PPG Shopline JC661 Acrylic Urethane clearcoat.
    Jim
    Billy Graham

Still a good hull for the price. As a matter of fact they handle great. Some guys will charge you $325 for just a bare hull. So all in all order the hull and just refinish it.

HT

I like the way it runs just not the build quality!

what bums me out is the guy my dad got it from told him he resealed the hull and all the seams ( you can see some areas that were filled) so we did not bother to seal it,
    oh well it cost $100 with a complete O.S 21XM set up and Hitec 645mg servo!

I just stripped mine and used off the shelf paint stripper.
    Howard,

What brand of paint stripper did you use. I think this might be the direction that I head too..

Thanks
    Mike Ball

Don't tell Mike ANYTHING!!!! He's a core member of MI now...ya know the enemy!!!! :)

Mike, I would not go so far as to strip it. A light sand is all you need to remove the stuff. Howard can be a little OCD. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Howard,

What brand of paint stripper did you use. I think this might be the direction that I head too..

Thanks
    Mike Ball

Alan's way would work just as well. But? I used standard off the shelf from Home Depot. Can't remember the brand but it came in a spray can. They had 2 types and both worked just as well. (Not the Orange enviro friendly crap though).

BTW is burns wear gloves. (Kinda like sticking your finger in an electrical socket. You only do it once.)

definitely needs re-sealing. I used dupont system clear and color. west to fill voids and blueprint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking hull!

What do you mean by blueprint?

make the sponsons even on a level surface to each other.

Cat-Boi you have some nice boats!