Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade motors for the King of Shaves.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...380-xL&cat=116

looks like 9xl is not in stock, just 8 and 10.

What about 7xl (3,357kv) on 3s, or will it be just too much for the motor to handle anything bigger then 32 mm props and running 8xl with 4s will be just more efficient and faster?

Would the 9XL's be fine on 120A ESC's?

show more progressive picture

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mac View Post
    Would the 9XL's be fine on 120A ESC's?
    Thats what I am using on the 9xl's An 80-90amp esc should work fine too, but hobbyking has the turnigy 120's for $49 each. I think the general rule is motor amp rating should be 80% of speed control rating. So a motor that pulls a constant 80amps should have a controller that has a constant 100 amp rating. If I remember correctly the 9xl has a constant rating of around 60amps, putting the required esc amp rating at about 75amps. The stock 60-amp controllers may work, but you would be pushing the limits, especially if you start running larger than stock props.

Watching the thread here and wondering whether I should just buy a hull fo 132.00 and just start from that point. Might be able to round up all the hardware myself and end up with a better boat for about the same money?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXSM5&P=Z
    Last edited by electric; 04-16-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Boat is $500. Hardware in the boats is not that good, so better off buy the hull and build.
    The space is a bit tight to work in.
    Just need to see what drive hardware fits for the prop unless you can get venom as well.

Just went through parts on the tower, looks like it would be $260 in venom part + electronics.
    So two 120 ESC, $120, two 540 motors with jackets $170 + motor mounts $50 + servo $25 would be $365 total $625 + $100 to radio so $725 + $65 for two balanced props is $790 Venom stock is $500 but this would be faster setup.
    Last edited by vasy; 04-16-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Chuckle, Thanks Vasy, you saved me a night of doing what you just did!! However, in my case, I already have, the radio the servo and receiver. I have a bunch of other hardware laying around, so I need to round up what I have already and see what is missing. I believe I can do much better on the motors(china). You are probably correct on the ESC.
    I have alot of sv27 hardware and another rudder from an old boat that might work etc. So my cost might just be Motors, ESC, linkage, and drives. Come to think of it, I have one esc that will work. The joy of being in this hobby awhile is you get a REALLY big parts bin!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    Up the power and you may consider upping the drive train. Any way to pull the teflon out and run a 150 shaft in them? I know a 150 cable will be too big for the 4mm shaft...wonder if those can be upgraded>.?

I am waiting on RH cable and I will be offering cables to fit the factory stuff. The struts may be able to have the bushing removed and upgraded to 3/16" shafts. I just finished some 4mm shaft stingers doing this for a guy.
    Jeff, do you have an aluminum coupler that fits without having to cut the stuffing tube down?

I need two Feigao 380 9xl's, water jackets and couplers. Does anyone know when they'll be back in stock or where else I can pick them up? just fried one of my stock motors. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurf1 View Post
    I need two Feigao 380 9xl's, water jackets and couplers. Does anyone know when they'll be back in stock or where else I can pick them up? just fried one of my stock motors. Thanks guys!
    As far as I know offshore electrics is the only place to get the 380XL's. You wont be dissapointed with the 9XL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurf1 View Post
    I should have more 380xl motors in about 2 weeks.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12