Thread: LVC or NEW ESC

Default LVC or NEW ESC

I have a stock setup and want to run LIPOs. Which the better solution: installing an LVC into the stock esc or buying a new esc? I plan to run only 2S ~5000mah.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearillinois View Post
    I have a stock setup and want to run LIPOs. Which the better solution: installing an LVC into the stock esc or buying a new esc? I plan to run only 2S ~5000mah.
    According to reports from folks here on OSE and Mike the stock ESC already has a LVC in it. I dont know what the settings are but I know you can arm the stock speedo with less then 14 volts. I run a seperate LVC in all of my hulls, doesnt matter what speedo I am using. Any ESC you buy is going to use the total pack voltage as its cutoff if it has LVC capability. That means it doesnt monitor each cell individualy and therefore one cell could be out of wack compared to the others. Its not likely to be a big deal to 2S and 3S packs but as the cell numbers increase, so do the chances of getting a cell below the desired LVC you wanted in the first place. And you can buy a LVC device far less then a new speedo anyways.

John

Stock supervee doesnt have a lipo cutoff. I bought the low voltage cutoff for the stock esc from kintek racing and had nothing but glitching issues with it. I ended up frying my esc later due to other issues and bought a turnigy/seaking 60A esc with lipo cutoff and programming ability on ebay for $50/shipped. I wish i had bought it before going the lipo cutoff route. It is a smoother running esc than stock with a higher amp rating,and lipo cutoff. I would buy one if I were you. Good luck! Switching to lipo from 8.4v nimh packs for me gained 6mph!!!

I run the Lipo shield from kintec as well which is a dimension engineering lipo shield (also sold here on OSE) and I haven't had any problems. The stock esc doesn't provide low voltage protection for lipos and the lipo shield prevents each cell from being discharged below the recommened voltage. It's $19.99 or $35 pre-soldered with deans and beats buying a new esc. My stock esc is still kicking strong and with lipos its alot faster.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Stock supervee doesnt have a lipo cutoff. I bought the low voltage cutoff for the stock esc from kintek racing and had nothing but glitching issues with it. I ended up frying my esc later due to other issues and bought a turnigy/seaking 60A esc with lipo cutoff and programming ability on ebay for $50/shipped. I wish i had bought it before going the lipo cutoff route. It is a smoother running esc than stock with a higher amp rating,and lipo cutoff. I would buy one if I were you. Good luck! Switching to lipo from 8.4v nimh packs for me gained 6mph!!!
    Did you wire it correctly or did you buy it pre-soldered? I think I read other people having some issues as well with the dimesion engineering shields but not many failures compared to the number of people running them. If 1 out of 100 lipo shields is bad from stock its still a 99% success rate, so with that being said you may have sadly fell into that 1% range.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I have to agree mine works great. Glitching can be caused by many things what radio are you using put up some photos I may be able to help or check out my photos. I use a Futaba 3PDF FM radio the receiver is inside the foam block on the starboard side of the boat let me know if I can help?

I'm not sure what was going on. Triple checked the wiring,but the power would blip on and off at low speed like a light switch. But at full throttle would be smooth. I read another thread somewhere where someone had issues with a slightly loose connection betreen the lipo shield and esc connection which caused the same issue. I am using a tactic 2.4ghz radio which I love. Gotta love lipo though. I fought it for a long time, but now I will nrver go back to nimh!!

It seems the LVC would be the least expensive option - if I wire it in correctly!

It seems the LVC would be the least expensive option - if I wire it in correctly!
    If you don't feel safe wiring or want easy changability get the pre-soldered deans.

http://www.kintecracing.com/Electrical.html
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    I'm not sure what was going on. Triple checked the wiring,but the power would blip on and off at low speed like a light switch. But at full throttle would be smooth. I read another thread somewhere where someone had issues with a slightly loose connection betreen the lipo shield and esc connection which caused the same issue. I am using a tactic 2.4ghz radio which I love. Gotta love lipo though. I fought it for a long time, but now I will nrver go back to nimh!!
    My Novak was doing the same thing. Changed it to a Dimension Engineering one and works like a charm. The Stock SV controller are tough. I have run a 9xl with it(wouldnt recommend it though) I now run it in my mini hydro with a 8L. Comes in at -100* after a 3 minute run.

I've helped a few troubleshoot these issues. Just keep the contacts clean. That appears to be where the glitches are coming from. Otherwise they work great.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Here is the manual for the sv27 ESC. There is a warning about the LVC thats used in the speedo. You cant change it as it sensed at batt connection.

John

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm1...anual-v1_2.pdf
    Change is the one Constant

The ESC you are refering to is not the one that comes with a SV27 That one is for air planes get your self a LVC like this one http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hld-32&cat=136 or a new maybe this one http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=hef-sword-120
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wizard122 View Post
    The ESC you are refering to is not the one that comes with a SV27 That one is for air planes get your self a LVC like this one http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hld-32&cat=136 or a new maybe this one http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=hef-sword-120
    Good luck
    Why do you say its not the same esc? Do you own both and done a side by side comparison? Mike stated when the SV27 came out it had an A/C esc in it. Do a search of the posts on RRR and you will see that it is the same esc.

John
    Change is the one Constant