Thread: this is just a thought!

Question this is just a thought!

hi im new on this form and have been in to boats for a wile now.. i have had a traxxas villen iv i think.. twin electrict and now converted to a single drive with all the stock parts. now what motor/ecs would you use to make it in the 20mph rang on (14cell ni-cd) pack mabe go to a bl set up on 3 cell but it has a gear reduction of 2 to 1 but i dont have money to buy new parts and hack up the abs hull any more so thinking of just up gradeing the motor, esc, batterys to make a fun lake runner. the only reason i went to a single drive is because one motor was shot and the rest was free. i really dont know if this is ment to be in this thread but some help would be fantastic

Welcome to OSE.
    I'd say either loose the gearbox or go brushless with it. Do you have some pics??
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

yeah i have some i have to dig them up.. ill post them in a wile.. if i go BL what kv would i want for a 2-1 drive?

pics for ya!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would try a Feigao 7XL 2370kV
    @ 16.8V (14 cells) thats 39,816RPM. I'm unfamilliar with the traxxas boat line, so I can't say the driveline will take that abuse, but it's what I'd put in there.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You should get your desired speeds if you eliminate the gearbox and direct drive the stock traxxas motor.

yeah haha i know but just dont know how to go about making the motor mount in the space i have.. the drive line angle would have to come up and i dont know if the stock motor/ecs would handle the extra load..

If you remove the inner ABS hull and add some fiberglass to the bottom of the hull, you can treat it just like any other deep v.

j.m. i never thought of that.. i could do that and just set it up like any other deep v's and go direct drive.. i think im going to try to switch the gears around and make it a 2-1 over drive or hack the motor mount up and make it direct drive using the factory stuff.. and when that fails build the bottom with fiber glass or carbon fiber or just build a nice small cat with the hardwear that i have.. i still want to go bl and lipo but every thing is around $350 and im straped for the cash.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Inrunner

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ter_Cooled_ESC

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._30C_Lipo_Pack

That would be a nice sport setup... Plenty of power for your hull, and not a very high rpm system (durability).

BTW, I did the same thing w/ my blast hull. (Tore the inner hull out and fiberglassed the bottom).

Jon

would it be wise to do a prop converson? i still am on the stock prop.

and do you have any pics of the blast?

ok i think i found out what im gonna do to make direct drive.. i have 2 motor mounts and im gonna hack one up to drop the motor down to line up with the shaft. ill need to cut the boat up some inside to fit the motor back in and i need to find a cupler that fits the motor and will fit the shaft. (shaft is bigger) i have one that fits the motor but i think i can drill it out to fit the shaft.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=grp-1987

what do you guys think about going to a scale out drive? the boat is 32" long and the 800 motor would be a great match for it...