Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darin's Top Speed 2 FE Conversion...

Very COOL! Glad to see the drawings resulted in something useful!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Yup ! And now I feel qualified to do jigsaw puzzles !!
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I am 20 bux away from making my order from Hyper for my lower leg. I also thank ya for the plans Darin :). I will be having @ it tuesday.

Gang,

I've completed updating my TS-2 with the new full length radio box... This was the basis for the drawings I provided... With everything located as it is... balance point is about 9", which is 1/2" behind where it's recommended, so I have plenty of room to move it forward... It handled great a 9.5" last time out, so I'm expecting similiar results when I get to test it again...

All up weight for this hull with 4S1P of Poly RC 20C 4350 mah pack (actually... two 2S1P 4350 packs in series... so a tad heavier than a 4S pack by itself)... is 5lbs 12oz...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a couple more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default re :

Thanks for the photos ! Answers some questions I had about interior layout. Am awaiting outdrive & Hi-Jack [ yup, had to have one]. Also, although everyone has their "special" prop, which one would you suggest to be a good starting point ?
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Well I kick mine off tonight :D. Paypaling Captian Vic this afternoon for the mount. I should have my ridepads curing by bed time.

Quote Originally Posted by SJFE View Post
    I should have my ridepads curing by bed time.
    Kool! I want to see pics (start your own damn thread though! )

Hey... wait a minute... with these changes... yours is going to be faster than mine! I'd better go get to work!

Hey... wait a minute... with these changes... yours is going to be faster than mine!
    Oh we can't have that now can we:D. I will start my thread @ the end of the night.

GOt my spiffy jack plate today. Radio box is built. Tonight I'll strap the motor to the transom and install the servo.

God willin' an if the crick don't rise I should be able to run this thing this Sunday. Even better I hope to have the big Cat with me as well. Depends on time this week, plus I have to spend most all of the weekend at the AMA show in Ontario.

Too much fun.
    Don't get me started

Darin, very nice work sir!

I am getting there... that box wasnt as easy as you all made it sound...heheh I change a few things. I utilized the waterproof fitting from the SV and will send all the wires and water hoses threw that. The boat is basically finished or should I say roughed in now I will disassemble everything and begin the final product. Just ordered a new set of Lipo's, a set of 5350's just for this boat. Only one problem.... I dont have a prop...ohhh nooooo I sold my last X642 and the M445's dont fit, there just a tad to big. Anyway, by next week she will be done.

Flicking threw the channels yesterday I came up on a real tunnel race, these tunnels are awsom. I have always loved the tunnel boats, this one is gonna be my favorite I can tell already...
    Last edited by ice329; 01-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Here's a couple of shots of my TS2 conversion. Hopefully get it wet this weekend

Don't get me started

Ice... Looks cool!

How do you currently have it setup??? Prop?? Motor shaft position and angle??? Balance point??

I am waiting on a prop, will start with the X642. Motor angle isnt set yet but I will start out even. The balance point is very close to the 9 1/2" mark prob more like 9 3/4. Gonna use two 7.4V 5350 MaH Lipos. Gonna start with this. I dont race I just like to have something that I could if I felt like it. Well see what happens... Almost tested it today with just a CF42, its all I have that fits right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ice329 View Post
    I am waiting on a prop, will start with the X642. Motor angle isnt set yet but I will start out even. The balance point is very close to the 9 1/2" mark prob more like 9 3/4. Gonna use two 7.4V 5350 MaH Lipos. Gonna start with this. I dont race I just like to have something that I could if I felt like it. Well see what happens... Almost tested it today with just a CF42, its all I have that fits right now.
    Sounds like a good place to start... Let me know how that 642 works out...

What brand of batteries do you have that are 5350mah???

Did you guys GPS these boats with the SV power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by ice329 View Post
    Did you guys GPS these boats with the SV power plant.
    We did initially.... Best I got was 38mph... but that was on a setup that would go for 10-laps (just barely... batteries were VERY close to the danger point... )...

We've since upped the prop size, and started refining things a bit... I'm betting we'll be into the 40s with this setup this season...

Then we'll see what a Modified setup will do ... 4S in a Tommy Lee/Rod Geraghty hull with a Neu 1515 and Hydra 240... Might be SCAREY!!

I may have condemed the SV radio syatem a bit early. I was concerned firstly because of the glitch, that is serious. I was thinking because of how I had to run the antenna and motor power wires etc, that the AM radio was picking up motor current or the higher Volts of the Lipo's etc were causeing the glitch and it may have been. I swaped the radio to a PM3 and moved the reciever back to my original thought out spot, it just eliminates having to run things all together. I place the batterys in the PM3 and they were practically dead, so this may have also caused the glitch in the SV radio syatem. At any rate the TS2 should be good to go again. It real cold out but I may still run her today.

Something else I reolized while reading the manual. My fitting I used for strearing are actually the fitting they sent for the the throtal linkage if you used a gas motor. Not sure if they will hold up but I like how they fit and they are strong so we will see, it sure make it look clean. I am a big fan of clean and open, I hate clutter.
    Last edited by ice329; 01-19-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Slight bobble number 2. I went with the Dubro mount. If I did it again I would have went with the other one the guys are using. I ran the boat yesterday with a CF42, I wasnt getting enough lift on the nose so I went positive as far as the mount would allow. Still not enough. I turned the mount upside down and get more adjustment but now the motor just looks a tad high. I have no adjustment down if I need it. Ya I can remount it. Just sayine if you do one of these conversions go with the other mount or keep this in mind when mounting the dubro. I got a X642 yesterday, so even though its 34 deg here I will still be making at least one run.

PS This thing turns on a dime and is incradably stable. Freakin thing is awsom.
    Last edited by ice329; 01-20-2008 at 11:28 AM.

I know you guys already did all this... but... I ran mine today, new Bal/shapened X642 and the reversed mount. I bet I picked up 10 MPH but the motor is no doubt to high. I cant hold the boat in the corners, I can but not like I should. I will reset the mount and give her another try. Got a 2" chop on the pond today, the stability is unreal. The stock SV servo works fine, I have to tone it down because it seems to responsive.

I lowered the motor. seemed better but as I am running I am saying something isnt right.. I must have said 5 times during the run. After the run I open the hatches and check, everything is bone dry. I wipe the boat down, nice and dry. I see water? I open the black drain plug. The boat is full of water..... At least 7 or 8 ounces .... hummm I did not cut the deck to mount for the boxes. I did not screw anything into the deck or hull. What the H_LL??? I tore the boat down. I filled the bath tub up. Dunked the entire boat. Bubbles from the motor mount holes. Taped them up. Dunked the boat, check up and down. No bubbles. Must have been the motor mounts, has to be even though there above the waterline. So I will remedy the bobble and retry.

Before I tore the boat down I make a call to Hobbico, there customer service is definatly good. They were gonna honor the hull possable problem even past the 3 months and were gonna let me keep the cowl with Mickey on it.
    Last edited by ice329; 01-21-2008 at 11:49 AM.

check the water cooling...
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Default WoodStuff

Darin,

What length of hull is your woodstuff?

I have a 32" Woodstuff I was thinking of using instead of the TS2.. Initially I thought the WS would be too heavy but it is an awsome handling hull with a 3.5 KB SS. Just a little underpowered as my motor is stock.

I acutally find the Supreme FE more fun to drive (Sport only) as you never quite know if it is going to flip.

I look forward to your results.

MOTOboat

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOboat View Post
    Darin,

What length of hull is your woodstuff?
    Mine is 28"... It's kind of a tight squeeze to get everything inside it, but I managed... Haven't tested it yet... but I anticipate it going fine with the SV27 setup on there...

32" might be a tad big for the SV27 setup...

Default WoodStuff

I have a 1515 1.5 & 1Y I had for building a TS2 FE... but have been looking at the Woodstuff thinking of converting it to a FE.

This is just for fun running. I enjoy the building... I just hate to disassemble the Nitro setup...

But the truth is I seldom use it and it is kindof under powered.

MOTOboat

I have a 1515 1.5 & 1Y I had for building a TS2 FE... but have been looking at the Woodstuff thinking of converting it to a FE.

I think the 1515 1Y has a lot of potential on that 32" tunnel with 4S1P power... or 4S2P if you can fit it... Might not be necessary to go 2P... if you get the new Elite 4500 30C cells, they should be able to handle 1P fine if you don't overprop it...

That'd be a fast combo...

Default WS or TS2 FE

Probally a lot better choice than trying to keep the TS2 on the water?

Probally a lot better choice than trying to keep the TS2 on the water?
    In my opinion, YES... We've tried the TS-2 with the AMMO 2300KV motor and it was FAST... but the handling wasn't great... not great at all...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast