Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston / Katy Area FE Club!

Cool Houston / Katy Area FE Club!

Hello RC/Boaters,

We are a group of RC Fast Electric Boat enthusiasts located in the West Houston / Katy area. We run all sorts of electric boats but specialize in Heat racing events (NAMBA & IMPBA rules) at our club meetings. We normally meet twice a month in the Victoria Lakes subdivision in old Katy. This month, Sept 07, we will be meeting on the 15th and 22nd. Our meetings start at 10:00 and go until approximately 3:00 PM.

We would like to have you come join us!

For more information please check out our club website at http://www.HOTMBC.com

We look forward to seeing you in Victoria Lakes!

OK, this is old, but I found the club on another forum (which still has not approved me to post after 2 weeks). I cannot find a contact for current meeting info.
    Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi Dale, yep old thread but still an active club meeting the 1st and 3rd Saturdays in either Katy or Crosby. I'm not certain of our next meeting date, the member on the club lake in Katy is not available on July 2nd, the usual meet date. We may meet in Crosby that weekend at the Love's Marina pond. Where in town do you live?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Hi Fluid,

Thanks for the reply. I live on the E. side of Katy and a buddy of mine who is also interested in getting started lives on W. side of Houston. Could you post directions and times for July 2nd meeting? I / we would like to attend.

I'll have to check if we will be meeting in Crosby, considering this is the July 4th weekend. A lot of members traditionally leave town or stay home. If not then we will be meeting again, probably in Katy, on July 16th.

I'm a new FE boater as of Febuary and would like to join up with others in the area to run with. I live close to Katy Mills Mall and would like to join up with other boaters in the area. The website for the club doesn't seem to be active. How can I check to see where ya'll will definetly be meeting and where?

Thanks,
    Clueless

Hi Clueless! What have you been running since February? We have a wide variety of models the club members run.

Right here is a good place to find out about meets. I have to check where we'll meet this Saturday - it's an off weekend for the club but we missed last weekend due to the holiday. It will either be in Katy or in Crosby. Keep checking back here and I'll let you know.

I bought the Aquacraft UL-1 which seems to have been a good starting point for a newbie. It's stock with the exception of tinkering with differant props. I've been having lots of fun with it. This site is becoming very addictive. I'd like to make another boat buy but need lots more education in the FE business first. I think hanging out with a group would broaden my boat horizons!:) Please keep me up to date and I'll be there!
    Thanks,
    Clueless1

The UL-1 was a great place to start, a number of our club members started with one. And before you buy another boat, by all means talk to us and see what we are running. There is a wealth of experience in our club, with record holders and National champs, and we'd love to help you. I'll keep this thread updated as we finalize this weekend.

Let me know about this weekend Jay. I went out to Crosby two weeks ago and tried out some new boats and ran into a gas boater who was out there testing(on a saturday). Wow. He was running a hydro with twin gas engines. They were breaking in the engines and what a sight to see. The boat was wood(clear coat) and carbon fiber. Absolutely beautiful. Still completely happy sticking with electric, but it was fun to watch.

Club members go to mixed-fuel races 4 times a year and it is a lot of fun to see the other boat types run. We are lucky in East Texas, lots of Gas National Champs live in the area and we get to see them run. Amazing to watch the #1 and #2 rigger racers spar off in 85 mph riggers hugging the buoys....

When is the next big Houston race Jay? I'd still like to get over to Tx one day to watch you guys run.

I should say Houston race. Dallas is quite a trip for me.
    Catching Air!

Cool

Hi John! The next Lone Star Model Boat Club race will be in the Fall, I do not yet know the exact date. Their new club website is not very helpful.

Guys, we will be meeting this Saturday in the Lakes of Katy subdivision, 10AM until... I'll have directions a bit later. Plan on some fun!

Very Cool! 5 minutes from my house...I'll see ya'll out there!

Smile

Directions:

Hwy 90 in Katy
    North on Avenue D
    Left turn on Morton Rd
    Right turn on Pitts Rd
    First left into subdivision (gated)
    Second house on the left

I'll get the gate code to y'all later.

Great! I should be able to make it. As usual, I have some parts (esc) coming in the mail that I hope to get in time to do some more test runs on a rigger I have been working on. I guess I am going to need to break down and finally buy a portable table.

Planning on coming to the meeting. Looking forward to meeting you guys and getting started!

For those who are wondering what to expect if you show up. I can tell you from a new person's perspective, since I visited my first time last year and only am able to make it out occasionally. The core group of members are very helpfull and easy going. The environment is very relaxed and nicely unstructured. Basically, you bring your boats out, run them, and look at other people's set ups and talk about boats. I would recommend a portable table if you can bring one(I don't even have one yet, but I am going to get one finally this week). What can I say, it's Texas, so it is hot. Dress accordingly.

When I was out there the first time last year the group ran some formal races in certain classes, but since then it has been mostly impromptu racing and just running the boats. Even that time, there was plenty of time to just run boats. The club provides either a kayak or a boat of some kind to retrieve boats with, so no worries there.

Jay, is there any plan to run any formal class type races this week? Sorry, I think I missed the time you are starting on Saturday?

It will depend on who shows up with what boats - if there are enough of the same class boats then we may run some heats. Due to the extreme heat we've been having here in Texas we've been more 'relaxed' than normal at recent meets but we'll run some heats if we can.

We usually get there around 10AM, set up tables and buoys and are on the water before 11AM. We run until we are tired.....

Which can happen pretty quick when it is 100 degrees outside!!!

I have a new build I could use some pointers on. It's a Delta Force Vortex 24 Hydro. Will there be someone there that give me some pointers?

I may try and bring my SV27 to run.

Kelly

Sure Kelly, we'll have folks who can help you set up the little hydro. We'll start at 10AM, dress for hot weather and please no dogs, cats or small children in this heat.

Yes. Many of the people there are very knowledgable and actually hold some SAW speed records and various racing wins. Believe me, any questions you have can be answered with that group.

I can't bring my cat? Hey, what's going on here....Chuckle

Had a great time today guys! Thanks for being such a great host Jim. I think we all can agree that this is without question a perfect place to run boats! Nice to have some shade with the boat dock. Well I am charging all the batteries and doing some minor fixes to the new rigger(s) and hopefully they will be more reliable next time out.

Jim

Thanks so much Jim. I had a great time and cannot wait to get my stuff bought, assembled, and tweaked for next time! There were some awesome boats running and it was a blast to watch! I can't wait to get mine floating.
    It was also really great to realize what an excellent group of guys are in the club and how helpful you all were answering my novice questions. What an amazing way to get started in a new hobby. Thanks again Guys!!

Agreed. Super nice place to run the boats Jim. I really appreciate all the pointers on my DF vortex 24 build.

Hey All, Jay let me know that we are running tomorrow (Saturday 16th) in Crosby. For those of you who have never been there here is a link with the address.
    http://local.yahoo.com/info-19166793...na-park-crosby The race area is in the Marina and is a seperate enclosed pond. Not much shade there and you should bring something cool to drink. The group is racing in two classes tomorrow, but we will be running all types of boats so bring what you have. If you have any questions Private Message me or just post it here. I will check the forum later tonight and Jay and others come online and will answer your questions also.

If you want to actually see the race area, just click on expand map when you go to the link listed above. Then click satellite view. The race area is the 2nd pond out from the river. If you zoom in you can see the grandstand rectangular shape on the waters edge of the pond.

Email from Jay:
    Guys:

Who is up for running at Crosby Saturday? I'll bring a shade structure, if you have one bring it too. I suggest that we bring P Sport Hydros and P-Limited Sport Hydros (LSH) for those who have them so we can have some race heats. But bring whatever else you want, we'll have regular fun running too. If enough guys want to go, I'll be there around 10AM. Bring something cool to drink!

Jay T
    Last edited by electric; 07-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Wish I could, but I have a class to attend tomorrow. Will see you guys next month and hopefully have my boat!

To run at the Crosby race facilities it is a must that you become a member if the Lone Star Model Boat Club and also, a member of NAMBA. If you are planning to coming out this Saturday we can direct you in how to become a members of both. This Saturday you will be our guest if you are not already members.

Tom T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast