Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIO EP or UL-1?

Question RIO EP or UL-1?

hi, im getting my first boat but im having a hard time choosing between RIO EP and UL-1 and need some help... from what i have read both are excellent boats, however, UL-1 is much faster than RIO EP, which is what i like. i know UL-1 is more expensive but i have a feeling that i would want to upgrade right away if i was to get the RIO EP...

one thing i dont like about UL-1 is that it doesnt have a water proof box for the rx and servos... has that been an issue for this boat??

The UL-1 doesn't need a separate sealed box for the servo or other electrics. The tub design is great.....very easy to tape off for the seal and the only time I've ever had water inside was if the boat flipped and the batteries flew up and hit the hatch causing the tape to come unsealed. If you have the batteries down good that would not be an issue. The only other way to get water inside is a plumbing leak.

The UL-1 is now improved and a even better buy for the buck. Just my 2.

Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crash View Post
    The UL-1 doesn't need a separate sealed box for the servo or other electrics. The tub design is great.....very easy to tape off for the seal and the only time I've ever had water inside was if the boat flipped and the batteries flew up and hit the hatch causing the tape to come unsealed. If you have the batteries down good that would not be an issue. The only other way to get water inside is a plumbing leak.

The UL-1 is now improved and a even better buy for the buck. Just my 2.

Crash
    thank you for your help.

do you have both? is RIO EP fast with lipos?

the UL-1s that are available now, are they all 2nd generation?

I have both and they are like comparing Apples to Oranges.

What's your preference?

A slightly more even comparison would be the UL-1 and the SV-27.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I have both and they are like comparing Apples to Oranges.

What's your preference?

A slightly more even comparison would be the UL-1 and the SV-27.
    i would prefer something that has more speed, by saying that, its not like i will be going full throttle all the time like crazy, i just wanna to be able to do so when i want to.

i prefer not to have to do any upgrades any time soon as i dont have access to lots of $...

i already have the lipos, so battery is not an issue for me.

the situation i have now is that i have purchased the RIO EP but have not opened it up yet as now i am thinking about getting UL-1 as it has more speed but its twice as expensive...

What size lipos do you plan to use?

Remember, the UL-1 only turns right well, not left.

What size lipos do you plan to use?
    i have these lipos:

2s 6000mah 28C lipo

or

3s 3300mah 20C lipo.

Remember, the UL-1 only turns right well, not left.
    i certainly did not know that. any chance you know why that is?

Thats how hyrdos are set up to run.........Hull style, turn fin mounting and offset rudder.....its the way it is.

Sounds like a SV-27 might be more suitable as it turns well in both directions and has a good turn of speed
    Last edited by Doby; 01-26-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Thats how hyrdos are set up to run.........

Sounds like a SV-27 might be more suitable as it turns well in both directions
    do you know the out-of-box speed differences between the 3 models?

Hi
    UL-1, UL-1, UL-1 !!!!!!
    Wicked boat and no worries about electronics getting wet just tape the hutch well, charge the batts and off you go!!!!!
    BDW, here is your answer:

Quote Originally Posted by erevo09 View Post
    hi, im getting my first boat but im having a hard time choosing between RIO EP and UL-1 and need some help... from what i have read both are excellent boats, however, UL-1 is much faster than RIO EP, which is what i like. i know UL-1 is more expensive but i have a feeling that i would want to upgrade right away if i was to get the RIO EP...
    one thing i dont like about UL-1 is that it doesnt have a water proof box for the rx and servos... has that been an issue for this boat??
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

i figure that the brushless setup (motor+ESC) for boats will cost like at least $100 right?

hydros run differently than the normal boats, i have to admit i like how a normal boats runs a little better especially when its turning!

super vee 27 looks good but i like the new 2.4 radio better as there is no antenna!

do the aluminum parts make big difference when it comes to boats?

i am really not sure at this point...

do you know the out-of-box speed differences between the 3 models?
    I have all 3, fastest I ever got my RIO is 18.3 and a 8.4v NIMH hump pack. That was with different motor and a different esc. I used a Traxxas XL-5 and Titan 12t.

My SV runs mid 30's all day and with a lipo shield for $35 it's a awesome boat. Just needs to be set up correctly. I swapped the stock Radio out with a 2.4 so I don't have the antenna sticking out. I took the RX/TX from the RIO. The radio system is the nicest part about the RIO, it also makes a good rescue boat.

My UL-1 runs low 40's but I haven't had it that long and I'm still working with properly setting it up. Most of the more experienced boaters are getting their UL-1s running 50s stock motor/esc with a prop change.

I'm still new to boating only been in it for a few months and you will out grow the RIO VERY VERY quickly. I say a SV is the best for your. UL-1 requires a little more skill and proper set-up and I think the SV would help with you to gain the knowledge you need to move on to the next level. Plus water conditions have to be good for the UL-1, to much chop and your screwed, but SV water conditions really don't matter. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 01-26-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

A pair of your 2s packs should work great in the UL-1. As for turning....yes the UL-1 is designed to run in one direction, but it will turn pretty well in the other direction too...just not at full power in a tight turn.

I've run mine in all conditions...if it's windy it can get airborne when running against the wind....but it runs even faster on the down leg, in those conditions. It can take rougher water than you might expect too....but it is at it's best in that slight ripple type of scenerio. We have several SV27s in our club and they do run pretty fast but also seem to flip pretty easy when trying to do a fast turn.

I'm one that always starts at the top and ends up working the way down as money allows. I would rather start there and be happy than be left wanting more and wishing I had got more....but that is just me.

Crash

I wonder if Aquacraft upgraded the ESC of the UL-1 with more or better caps? If not I would add One more capacitor to be on the safe side. IMO the UL-1 is the better buy with it's new Tactic radio and faster speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    I wonder if Aquacraft upgraded the ESC of the UL-1 with more or better caps? If not I would add One more capacitor to be on the safe side. IMO the UL-1 is the better buy with it's new Tactic radio and faster speeds.

...Mr. Grim somewhere here on OSE mentioned the new ESC will be reworked and it will have new, larger capacity cap installed....
    DJI Drone Advanced Pilot
    Canada

I just received my new UL-1 today. Not sure what cap the earlier UL-1s had but the new UL-1s have a Rubycon 35v 1500uF Z L: same brand as sold at Kintec Racing but rated 10 volts higher (Voltage Rating: 25VDC Capacitance: 1500µF).
    Last edited by Colby; 01-27-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    I posted about that here with pics....the answer is YES.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=12373

old cap was a 25V 680uF

Thanks dudes for helping out our new boater bud!

Grim

thanks everyone for your inputs on my questions.

i guess now i am choosing between SV27 and UL-1 now coz i just dont think RIO EP is fast enough for me unfortunately...

i have one other question: can anyone recommend a good rescue boat since i dont have a good boat retrieval system...

I use a modified Aquacraft tug for our club rescue/buoy duties..
    Attached Images Attached Images

i guess now i am choosing between SV27 and UL-1 now coz i just dont think RIO EP is fast enough for me unfortunately...

i have one other question: can anyone recommend a good rescue boat since i dont have a good boat retrieval system...
    I use my RIO as a rescue boat. Works great, for a video of it type in Diesel6401 in youtube search and you will see it. Boat has been changed since the video by adding a few gram on weight to the back so the prop bites more, but you can get the idea. Here's a pic. Total price of rescue equipment was $15 at home depot. The headlamp was a few bucks at Harbor Freight. Like I mentioned earlier, with the purchase of a RIO EP you get a rescue boat and a 2.4ghz radio. The Tatic Rx/Tx is like $90 by itself, just swap tx/rx with your SV and RIO & its make the SV that much better. So with a total price of $150 for the RIO you get a rescue boat for $60, not a bad deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

What type of water will you be doing the majority of your running? If local pond with no major waves or rippels than either boat will work, if a larger lake or a place where their are waves than the ul-1 isn't the best boat for you.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I use my RIO as a rescue boat. Works great, for a video of it type in Diesel6401 in youtube search and you will see it. Boat has been changed since the video by adding a few gram on weight to the back so the prop bites more, but you can get the idea. Here's a pic. Total price of rescue equipment was $15 at home depot. The headlamp was a few bucks at Harbor Freight. Like I mentioned earlier, with the purchase of a RIO EP you get a rescue boat and a 2.4ghz radio. The Tatic Rx/Tx is like $90 by itself, just swap tx/rx with your SV and RIO & its make the SV that much better. So with a total price of $150 for the RIO you get a rescue boat for $60, not a bad deal.
    thanks for the pics, they look cool! what exactly did you get from home depot to make that thing to the boat??

to be honestly with it, i was gonna sell the RIO EP i bought since i have not opened it but it seems that i would need a rescue boat in case my boat stalls or flips (more likely now since i am getting sv27 or ul-1 - fast)

yeah swapping the radio system is definitely a good idea, 2.4 with no antenna is the way to go!!!

Very cleaver on the Rio use and the lights...I use the same type of rescue device on the tug to catch fast boats, but have a special floating line to snag sailboat keels and another line to snag the racing buoys. I also added a servo to allow me to drag and drop the buoys.

There are various videos of the tug in action here:

You may need to turn off the HD if it runns slow or choppy on your computer. The one I pointed to had a rescue of a crackerbox boat.

Crash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    What type of water will you be doing the majority of your running? If local pond with no major waves or rippels than either boat will work, if a larger lake or a place where their are waves than the ul-1 isn't the best boat for you.
    its gonna be a lake i think, unless i can find another place to play it at... i dont remember if it has lots of waves/ripples though...

decision decision...

thanks for the pics, they look cool! what exactly did you get from home depot to make that thing to the boat??
    to be honestly with it, i was gonna sell the RIO EP i bought since i have not opened it but it seems that i would need a rescue boat in case my boat stalls or flips (more likely now since i am getting sv27 or ul-1 - fast)

yeah swapping the radio system is definitely a good idea, 2.4 with no antenna is the way to go!!!
    It's just PVC piping from the plumbing aisle and the black foam is located in the same area then just zip-tie the foam around the piping so it doesnt slip off. you need 4 long pieces about the length of the boat a + fitting, 2 elbow fittings and 4 end caps and 2 stub pipes a few inches long and 2 plugs for the + fitting and 2 bunge cords. Print the picture I posted and take it with you to Home Depot it shouldn't take very long to find everything and it only take about 10ms to assemble. After you make it put either rtv sealant or duct tape around each fitting and joint so water doesn't leak in and flood the piping.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

its gonna be a lake i think, unless i can find another place to play it at... i dont remember if it has lots of waves/ripples though...

decision decision...
    I would honestly suggest a SV to start out with. Just my opionon.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Very cleaver on the Rio use and the lights...I use the same type of rescue device on the tug to catch fast boats, but have a special floating line to snag sailboat keels and another line to snag the racing buoys. I also added a servo to allow me to drag and drop the buoys.

There are various videos of the tug in action here:

You may need to turn off the HD if it runns slow or choppy on your computer. The one I pointed to had a rescue of a crackerbox boat.

Crash
    Thanx, I was bored one day of work and had the boat in my SUV and slapped some leds on the headlight I broke onto it...lol. For the rescue setup I got the idea from someone on this site who posted a pic of a similar setup. I just modded it to fit the RIO better.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast