Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lipos

exactly correct

i basically went from a lipo newb to almost completely understanding them in about one day
    I have been @ this for weeks now and I still don't know crap.....lol. I won't claim to know anything untill I have used them with out toasting anything. House included:D ...Jk..that was a poor attempt @ humer

ok....let me rephrase that...i went from a lipo newb to understanding a lot of it (not all) in a day or so....
    saleens7, the wookie of rc boating

I'm just breakin ur stones man...LOL:D

So if I understand all this, for my SuperVee 27 I could buy two 14.8V 4000mah 145 44 23 380g 10C/12C Lipo batteries and run them in parallel. Would I then have a 20C max continous discharge on a 8000mah total or a 10C max continous discharge on a 8000mah battery? Would I also need a low voltage cut-off and a cell balancer? Also could I charge these batteries on my Super Brain 898 charger? It is claimed to be able to charge 1 to 8 cell lithium ion/lithium polymer batteries.
    Thanks, Jamie

20C on parallel or 80 amps
    Low Voltage Cuttoff is always a good idea, however, 8000mah should run a SV27 for 12 mins even at 70% battery capacity usage.
    Balancer always needed
    I have never seen this charger, looks like it can do the job

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
    So if I understand all this, for my SuperVee 27 I could buy two 14.8V 4000mah 145 44 23 380g 10C/12C Lipo batteries and run them in parallel.
    NO... this isn't correct....

The SV27 is designed to run 2 6-cell packs in series... The wiring on the ESC is essentially identical to OSE's Y-Harness setup...

You want to get two 7.4V packs of whatever mah and whatever paralleling you like, and then run them in series on the SV27...

In other words... or in LIPO speak... the SV27 is designed to have one 2S pack connected to each of the two factory connectors... This wires the packs in series...

At each connector, you can parallel the packs as much as you like...

So, if you want lots of runtime, you'd buy a pair of 2S2P packs of 8000 or 10,000 or ??? mah and plug them in...

If you pluged in a pair of 14.8V lipos, like you suggested in your post... You'd fry the ESC in a hurry...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

2-14.8V packs in parallel is 14.8V Yes, the wiring needs to be changed, your correct. Sorry about that one.

I'll get my boat out today and look into this.

Darin is probably giving the best advice if your not advanced at this, my fault.

thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by sjslhill; 04-15-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlepack View Post
    2-14.8V packs in parallel is 14.8V Yes, the wiring needs to be changed, your correct. Sorry about that one.

I'll get my boat out today and look into this.

thanks,
    Steve
    Steve,

I think it would just take a quick wiring change to make a single 14.8V pack work... If you look at one of OSE's Y-Harnesses, that's how the stock ESC is wired... I think if you took out the wire in-between the two connectors, then removed one of the connectors and connected the loose wire to the remaining connector, you'd have it set up for a single pack arrangement and you could use a saddle setup of 14.8V cells paralleled together...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    If you pluged in a pair of 14.8V lipos, like you suggested in your post... You'd fry the ESC in a hurry...
    Thanks guys. I should of mentioned that the wiring to the ESC would have to be modified to eliminate the series connection. That could have caused a disaster as you noted for those that don't completely under stand the electrical side. I will have to be more detailed in my posts in the future. To me running the batteries in parallel means connecting them to the ESC in parallel also.

Running this configuration in my SuperVee with the Lipo batteries from BattlePacks site seemed good to me as I was getting the required 20C, low cost and a 8000mah run time to boot.

It is a good idea if the wiring is correct. You do not need 20C type packs to run in a SV27, the low costs ones will work well.

thanks,
    Steve

Next weekend i'll prove it

Quote Originally Posted by Battlepack View Post
    It is a good idea if the wiring is correct. You do not need 20C type packs to run in a SV27, the low costs ones will work well.

thanks,
    Steve
    Would two 7.4V 4000mah 145 44 14 200g 10C/12C from your site in series be OK for the SuperVee? How would they compare to the IB 4200's for performance, run time and their expected life time.
    Thanks, Jamie

Default Yes.....but

You have to get a LVC and can't run it that long. The IB4200's would most likly outrun the 4000 LiPos.

Woops, forgot the life time. IB4200's, can't stand them myself, 25% failure rate on these cells. 4000mah LiPoly, if you use the LVC and keep the temp down to 110 or less, I'd guess several runs and much longer than NIMH cells.

This is all new however and I don't want to mislead anyone. Several are trying it, Joey did it with 2 7.4V3600 packs, Tom just ordered some packs as well. Another person ordered 4. We will see where this all ends up. I ordered a SV27 from OSE as well to do testing. Tom has a DPR to give us info back and I'll add one as well.

thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
    Would two 7.4V 4000mah 145 44 14 200g 10C/12C from your site in series be OK for the SuperVee? How would they compare to the IB 4200's for performance, run time and their expected life time.
    Thanks, Jamie
    Last edited by sjslhill; 04-15-2007 at 01:45 PM.

In order to switch the stock SV esc to a parallel setup(for14.8) you would have to unsolder from the deans and go with +to+ and -to-. Then a resolder would have to be done for series running....I will be buying another esc...that would be a PIA in the field.

FastGuy, I think you might be cutting it thin running 2 of the 7.4v 4000mah 10/12c packs. If you run 4 of them then you got a powersupply that would kick butt. The 7.4 3600 12/16c packs would be a better choice for just running 2 single packs. Comparison against the subC packs...There is no comparison there a differnt animal, the LiPo's are or make the boat light, fast and into a beast. The subc packs pour raw power out but the boat may be a bit more stable due to weight. So both setups have there place. I love both of them both are awsom. Love the 3600 NiMh BattlePacks but I also love the LiPo's.

I ran the stock boat yesterday after I balaced the LiPo packs with a CF48 prop. The boat became a BEAST... it was so quick it was unreal. I didnt GPS it but she was absolutly flying.
    Last edited by ice329; 04-15-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice329 View Post
    If you run 4 of them then you got a powersupply that would kick butt.
    Thanks for the info ice. Whats a powersupply?

a powersupply would be the batteries in this case, providing power to the motors.
    saleens7, the wookie of rc boating

FastGuy, I said power supply which would be your batterys. The 7.4v 4000 10/12c packs are good for 40 amp continuios with 48 amp bursts. Might be cutting it close in the SV. The 7.4 3600 12/16c are good for 43 amps continuios and 57 amp bursts. Next week NJFE will be doing testing with equipment in the boat to get a better Idea of actual numbers.

The 7.4 3600 12/16c packs seemed to work fine in my boat, the pack temp were under 115 and I had solid power threw out, take off acceleration etc.

here is a vid from this past weeks testing

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=0e474f23.pbr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12