Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supervee27 ?

Default Supervee27 ?

Im new to boating but not to rc . Im getting a supervee 27 latter this week ( it's in the mail) & have a couple of ?'s . Is there one thread here that can tell me most of what i need to know about this boat ?. I all ready read that i need to seal the bare wood in the hull with epoxy . I also read that since i will be using lipo's (Trakpower 20c 4900) that i need to slide the battery's foward about 1 inch past the mount to help with balanceing of the boat . I all ready ordered my lvc for the lipo's . I need to know about adding foam were & how much & (what kind) to the hull . I will be switching out the stock radio for my airtronics m8 with fm module for a better & stronger signal. It has the novak switch module & reciver with all the frequency's . So getting a open frequency wont be a problem . So if there is one thread that is a must read please let me know . Thank you
    Last edited by rchippie; 01-19-2010 at 03:47 PM.

As for foam, I cut up a pool noodle and stuffed it in the front of the boat and glued a piece to the hatch in case it blew off.

I would strongly suggest upgrading the cooling jacket on the motor and maybe adding another water pick up. I am farily new to this site but have found that the addition of these items has greatly reduced the heat on the motor and ESC.

The other thing i would suggest is to add a the turn fin on the port side of the boat. I learned the hard way, making a left turn and it took a lot more space and hit the bank breaking my rudder!!

And all ways tape the hatch shut to keep water out!!

Quote Originally Posted by badag98 View Post
    As for foam, I cut up a pool noodle and stuffed it in the front of the boat and glued a piece to the hatch in case it blew off.

I would strongly suggest upgrading the cooling jacket on the motor and maybe adding another water pick up. I am farily new to this site but have found that the addition of these items has greatly reduced the heat on the motor and ESC.

The other thing i would suggest is to add a the turn fin on the port side of the boat. I learned the hard way, making a left turn and it took a lot more space and hit the bank breaking my rudder!!

And all ways tape the hatch shut to keep water out!!

Thank's for the repliy . Is there a recomended water jacket & pickup upgrade for the stock motor & esc ?. I had all ready planed on the turn fin upgrade .

Steve has a couple here on his site that are good from what i read, I bought the one from Kinetic Racing. They also have a trim tab pick up that i installed that works like a charm, the motor mount will cooling is nice but may be over kill but i did it any way. Oh yea the upgraded latch is really nice, the foam is ok but a little hard to fit in the tight grove.

http://kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html

Who has the trim tab pick up your talking about the offshore store or the kinetic store ?.

It should be on the Kintec Link I sent. It is a bit bigger than i thought but works great!

I'll take a look thank's . Does it replace the stock pick up or is this in adtion to the stock pick up ?. Do you know what is the longest lipo that will fit ?. I found some lipo's that are on sale . But they are 160mm - to 165mm long . But the price is really really good .
    Last edited by rchippie; 01-19-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rchippie View Post
    So if there is one thread that is a must read please let me know . Thank you
    Probably the hands down most informative thread about performance improvements for the SV27 has got to be the one on Rumrunner that Darin put together a couple years ago. Covers everything from workmanship to basic engineering and back to add on's. You dont have to be a racer to learn from from it but you would be a fool not to pick up some basics. He has no business vested interest in providing the information which is more then I can say about others offering advice.

John

Thank's i will check it out . Do you know the name of the thread or have a link to the thread ?.

Thank's i will check it out . Do you know the name of the thread or have a link to the thread ?.
    I did a search for Darins build thread but couldnt find it. I did find my SV27 improvements thread but it doesnt do justice to his original. Maybe someone book marked it. Some really good stuff compiled from experienced FE folks.

John

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...7+improvements

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    I did a search for Darins build thread but couldnt find it. I did find my SV27 improvements thread but it doesnt do justice to his original. Maybe someone book marked it. Some really good stuff compiled from experienced FE folks.

John

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...7+improvements

Thank you i'll give it a look . Do you know whats the longest lipo you can use in the SV27 ?. I found some that are 160mm -165mm on sale . Is that to long ?.

Thank you i'll give it a look . Do you know whats the longest lipo you can use in the SV27 ?. I found some that are 160mm -165mm on sale . Is that to long ?.
    The beauty of the SV27 is the long extended inside battery mounting surfaces. I doubt there is such a thing as too long a battery to fit unless someone comes up with a bizarre battery design. You have more room then you probably realize.

John

[QUOTE=m4a1usr;153141]The beauty of the SV27 is the long extended inside battery mounting surfaces. I doubt there is such a thing as too long a battery to fit unless someone comes up with a bizarre battery design. You have more room then you probably realize.

John[/QUOT

Here is what i found NEU4900XP 2S1P. It's a 25c lipo for $35.00 . It's on this page.

http://www.neumotors.com/store/page12/page12.html

I just ordered 4 of these packs for my boat .
    Last edited by rchippie; 01-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Hi I'm a newbie too but not new to R/C any way check out my post https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=11601
    So far I've get her up to 39.4 mph with my set up
    Grimeracer 40/52X3 prop
    5000 40c lipos Turnigy
    1 to 2 deg pos strut I didn't change it thats just what it's at
    Rudder kicked back 5 deg
    Trim tabs flush
    COG 8"
    Scuffed bottom Scotch Brite red
    Geko 201 Mounted in front of motor

Hi everybody.

I finally got my SV27 . I will be using neu lipo's . Instead of modifing the battery tray . Is it okay to just remove the tray & velcro the lipo right against the hull ?. Since i will have to slide to lipo's foward for better COB . This would be eaiser .

Hi rchippie please go check out my photos at my new SV27 I ran her today 46.3mph what a blast. I thank Jan at Kintech and Steve at OSE for all there help and support

I just finished sealing all the wood & added a little glass around the motor portion . It's curing right know . so i'll have to wait to do anything else . Also my boat came with some styrofoam in the bow . Is that enough or should i add some more ?.
    Last edited by rchippie; 01-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.

I just finished sealing all the wood & added a little glass around the motor portion . It's curing right know . so i'll have to wait to do anything else . Also my boat came with some styrofoam in the bow . Is that enough or should i add some more ?.
    Some guys add foam everywhere possible, I just added some square pieces to in the aft, users choice. I would without a doubt make sure you add foam to the cowl.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Hi everybody.

I finally got my SV27 . I will be using neu lipo's . Instead of modifing the battery tray . Is it okay to just remove the tray & velcro the lipo right against the hull ?. Since i will have to slide to lipo's foward for better COB . This would be eaiser .
    I only removed just the foward lip of the tray and made some strapes and epoxyed them to the hull. Works well for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Default First run

I took my SV27 out for it's first run today . Everything went great there was no water in the hull . The motor temp was to high for my liking . So i think a better water jacket & water pick are the first upgrade i will make . I slide the lipo about a inch past the mount . But the boat seemed a little hoppy , unless thats just the way they run . Maybe i need to slide them a little farther foward . The water had a slight ripple & the air temp was about 58 - 65 degrees . I did have to adjust the rutter linkage just a little . All in all everything went great .

Smile

add 6 ounce weight in front of the motor it helps with the cog and it will help clam it down some .

Quote Originally Posted by jlr3rd1 View Post
    add 6 ounce weight in front of the motor it helps with the cog and it will help clam it down some .
    How much in FR of the motor would you suggest ?. I have plenty of lead stick on weights .

Don't add any weight it will just slow you down your COG should be between 7" to 8" if it runs to wet it will heat things up fast every boat is a little different you have to try things out for your self start with every thing neutral and change from there most important is the strut it should be as close to 0 as you can get it a little pos is ok try to keep trim tabs level too and work with COG 1/4" at a time to smooth things out. hope this helps

ADD THE WEIGHT i did not just make this up check the fourm!! it WORKS AND DOES NOT SLOW THE BOAT DOWN NOR HEAT UP THE MOTOR,WERE YOU WOULD EVEN NOTICE!!!!

been running with the weight for the past 2 summers

I too am a newbie but loving this boat I have not added any weights but moved the batteries pretty far forward. The main mod I have made that I feel helped the most is upgrading the cooling systems and adding a pickup. Below is a link to a few pics of my setup.

http://gallery.offshoreelectrics.com...up&cat=0&pos=0
    Last edited by badag98; 02-01-2010 at 08:38 AM.

I am looking at that same trim tab & pick up combo . I see your still using the stock pickup as well . Are you using one pick up for the esc & motor & the other pickup for the motor mount or are you using both combined for everything ?.

Here are a few pics.

both boats LOOKS AWESOME:) i like the way you have your cooling system done looks good!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlr3rd1 View Post
    both boats LOOKS AWESOME:) i like the way you have your cooling system done looks good!!
    My cooling is stock . But i like badag 98's boat . Should i use both pickup's or just the upgraded one ?.
    Last edited by rchippie; 01-31-2010 at 10:19 PM.

BOTH never enough water for cooling :) and i agree i like the way he set up his system

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast