Thread: Little unstable on right turns

Default Little unstable on right turns

Hi,
    Did a couple of runs with stock setup, plus X642 prop (picture shows a 440/3, but I swapped it out). I'm using the modified trim tabs (dogears) and fins. Boat is still a little unstable on right turns. We are probably going 1/4 to 1/2 throttle on the right turns, but if we start to power out of the corner she'll bounce around quite a bit and we need to back off. Left turns seem smoother.

Check out the tab/fin alignment and let me know if these look ok, or should I try bending the fins even further out (this set of fins/tabs actually came from Jesse's old boat, that way I can return to stock setup easily on this boat).

Thanks,

-Chief

PS, X642 is much better than 440/3 on this boat. No cavitation problems when pulling up to plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BHChieftain; 01-16-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Try bending the fins out more. Here is a pic of Darin's boat with the handling suggestions that you or previous owners have done. The turn fins look bent out more that yours. If I remember, Jesse also modified it to where the batteries could go all the way back to the transom, so you might try moving the batteries toward the front a little at a time till you find the right COG. Moving them forward will make it ride a little "wetter" and increase the stability. Mine turns at full throttle but too quick a turn will make it hook.
    Last edited by lectriglide; 01-16-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by lectriglide View Post
    Try bending the fins out more. Here is a pic of Darin's boat with the handling suggestions that you or previous owners have done. The turn fins look bent out more that yours.
    I'll give that a try. But I'm wondering if maybe vertical fins combined with the dogears on the trim tabs might work-- I know on deep vees the fins should be // to the keel, but the bottom of the fastech is actually flat-- which makes me wonder it that's the reason it comes stock vertical...

Anyway, I'll experiment with different configs and report back.

-Chief

Read this thread first. According to Darin (Pro Boat Race Team) leaving them stock won't handle worth a darn.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=8080

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    Hi,
    Did a couple of runs with stock setup, plus X642 prop (picture shows a 440/3, but I swapped it out). I'm using the modified trim tabs (dogears) and fins. Boat is still a little unstable on right turns. We are probably going 1/4 to 1/2 throttle on the right turns, but if we start to power out of the corner she'll bounce around quite a bit and we need to back off. Left turns seem smoother.

Check out the tab/fin alignment and let me know if these look ok, or should I try bending the fins even further out (this set of fins/tabs actually came from Jesse's old boat, that way I can return to stock setup easily on this boat).

Thanks,

-Chief

PS, X642 is much better than 440/3 on this boat. No cavitation problems when pulling up to plane.
    Generally this boat will be little wigily on right turns. It did this to me also. She is great in left turns but I know I know..... Check on Jesses mods to fix this but stock will just be like that .....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Default Working great!

Bent the stabilizer fins out a little more to be perpendicular to the keel. What a difference-- she is running fantastic now. Here's a pic of the fin setup, and a video of our run today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yuSD4ARCw4

-Chief

Thumbs up nice adjustment

I had the same problem with mine. I loosened the out drive and adjusted it up as far as it would go. I was going to buy new turn fins, but seing yours I will try bending mine as well. Great idea!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by never2much View Post
    I had the same problem with mine. I loosened the out drive and adjusted it up as far as it would go. I was going to buy new turn fins, but seing yours I will try bending mine as well. Great idea!!!!!
    Credit goes to Darin! Note, try to get them perpendicular to the keel. On mine, you'll notice the left fin is bent out just a tad too much-- the right one is spot on.

-Chief

Chief

Looking good. If you really want some fun, try a couple 2s lipos. It'll make you