Thread: worlds most dangerous batteries

Default worlds most dangerous batteries

guess these guys have never seen a nimh or a car battery explode

What a load of propaganda crap . I have had a boat blow to bits because of vented NIMH and I am not alone.

that was my point,yes lipos can catch fire but nimh explode,i have seen this happen and the damage they cause
    years ago i had a car battery (lead acid) blow up in my face,can tell you know i will take lipos any day

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    that was my point,yes lipos can catch fire but nimh explode,i have seen this happen and the damage they cause
    years ago i had a car battery (lead acid) blow up in my face,can tell you know i will take lipos any day
    Nihm and rc boating are the perfect mix for an explosion. How many other applications seal in the cells as we do?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

not that i have seen a whole lot but every video i have seen shows the lipo connected to a charger still.
    just goes to show how well people are misinformed especially with the title "worlds most dangerous batteries"
    better not tell them most of there phone and laptop batteries are lithium

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    What a load of propaganda crap . I have had a boat blow to bits because of vented NIMH and I am not alone.
    Is this caused by to much amp draw on Nimh?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

A NIMH cell will normally vent when exposed to very high temperatures commonly caused by exessive current draw thoughout the pack.

I am also lead to believe that a NIMH cell will vent when charged @ a high current, again with heat being the main cause.

Jimmy
    Come to the FASST side

A NIMH cell will normally vent when exposed to very high temperatures commonly caused by exessive current draw thoughout the pack
    AMEN to that !! Any one who ran NIMH in a boat has done that

AMEN to that !! Any one who ran NIMH in a boat has done that
    Numerous times
    Come to the FASST side

we have a guy in the club whose boat blew up cause of vented Nimh, it sounded like a shotgun went off!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    we have a guy in the club whose boat blew up cause of vented Nimh, it sounded like a shotgun went off!
    That sucks!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Was he running Brushed or BL
    I ask as I believe Nimh cells vent Hydrogen gas during high loads and suspect that a Brushed motor had enough arc to ignire it.
    If he was running BL then there are few, not none, ignition sources.

Just curious.

My Nimh are now in my big tug and crawler.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Interesting info..