Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC Car ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question RC Car ?

I know a guy that made me this offer ...

"I got an ol' Hornet RC car with no body, it runs but never been run on the street! got the motor in it , new tires, good frame..... its all together, no servos in it but its all there and works, wanna trade it for a case of beer and a pack of smokes?"

Is this a fair deal? From what I can find it has a 540 can in it and I was wondering if it is worth putting a brushless set up in it.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

ask him if its the original or the re release if its the original i would go for it, but im not too knowledgeable on the price on a case of beer and a pack of smokes lol im not sure if the tranny could handle it though.....

Go for it Egneg, then you can play with my SC10
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Screwball I don't think the guy would have a clue as to which one it is but more than likely it's the reissue.

Diego I know you have a car and that's why I was thinking I would get it so we can run cars AND boats.

IMPBA 20481S D-12

This'll be FUN! How do you find all these great deals?
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 01-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    How do you find all these great deals?
    This guy is a custom paint/airbrush artist that I have known for quite some time. He knows that I am into RC but the offer came out of the blue!

IMPBA 20481S D-12

Go for it, nippy little cars them. A friend tried to sell me and original for £25 so you are probably alright with that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hide View Post
    Go for it, nippy little cars them. A friend tried to sell me and original for £25 so you are probably alright with that deal.
    Thanks Hide ... I figured it was an alright deal as I can't let the guy drink alone!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

No worries, stick a 10.5T brushless system in there and it should hold up and will be a lot faster.

No worries, stick a 10.5T brushless system in there and it should hold up and will be a lot faster.
    Hide I don't know jack about cars ... can you give me a bit more info ... If you need a prop or 2 I can make it worth your while.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I don't know much about Tamiyato be honest with you. But get the car, put up some pics! If it's a bit slow there are loads of cheap brushless kits out there that will be fine for the Hornet. One problem with these Tamiyas is when people stick in really high reving motors and strip the differential. Go for a slower motor (4000kv or so) and it will be faster than stock but easy on the gears.

If you need to know anything in particular let me know :)

I found this short video of a hornet with a brushless power plant

Good luck with keeping the gears in the gear box... With brushless, it will be a rolling time bomb!!!! Back in the day (23+ years ago) we coudn't keep the gears in those things with a mild mod motor. Eitherway, Have fun!

Later,
    Ball

even running lipo with a 540 brushed can motor will work great in this buggy
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Did you pick it up Egneg?

Did you pick it up Egneg?
    Yes - I just got home. It is the original Hornet! He put it together 20 years ago but never got the radio or servo so it has never been run. Now I need to see if I can find a body as he can't find it.

IMPBA 20481S D-12

It is the original Hornet! He put it together 20 years ago but never got the radio or servo so it has never been run.
    I would not be running it at all if it is an original in mint condition, all of the original Tamiya cars such as the Frog, Rough Rider, Buggy Champ and the Hornet are fetching a fortune on Ebay.

May be wise to maintain as a shelf queen.

Jimmy
    Come to the FASST side

Default Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Sterling View Post
    I would not be running it at all if it is an original in mint condition, all of the original Tamiya cars such as the Frog, Rough Rider, Buggy Champ and the Hornet are fetching a fortune on Ebay.

May be wise to maintain as a shelf queen.

Jimmy
    I have an original frog plus a spare parts car, as well as a Wild Willy's down stairs. My boys have been looking at them lately asking. That frog has miles and miles under it, almost everything has been replaced. It was a hell of a strong car.

They were fun!

Brian

IMO i would not use it!!! you have just come upon a great deal!! i would probably get some electronics from that era and a body and make it a shelf queen or sell it on the bay....

Tbh the Hornet doesn't go for that much, its the NIB Rough Rider/Buggy Champs that sell for real $$$

Tbh the Hornet doesn't go for that much, its the NIB Rough Rider/Buggy Champs that sell for real $$$
    I did some checking and for what I have I will make it run and have fun,
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

It worth some money. Not get rich but more than what it sold for new. I never "collected" Tamiya but Associated stuff is where I'm at. I have some shelf queens and one that is NIB. Being that it was re released you will be able to get parts for it now. Play with it but I would not go brushless. The suspension and trans won't like it. Dannys truck is a race truck and that brushless system he's got stresses that trans to it limits. Great buggy and deal you got!

I ordered a new body for my SC10 back in early December 2009. I'm still waiting for it to come out of New York.

I have found a body and other parts on ebay but didn't buy them yet. On a closer look I found that the mechanical speed control was broken and missing part of it. I am open to suggestions for an ESC that will take it's place.

I think his son played with it when he wasn't home a few years back.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

How 'bout THIS one?
    or
    THIS one for sake of proximity

How 'bout THIS one?
    I saw that the other day but was thinking I would try to find one here in the US or wait until I needed some more stuff to make the shipping a bit more reasonable.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

This one is for a plane, but it is cheaper.

Plane ESC's dont have smooth throttle control, not worth it. Go for a basic LRP brushed ESC, not more than $30 and bulletproof. Waterproof too!

I have one which hasn't seen much use, you can have it for $25 posted Let me know.

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...verse/details/

Plane ESC's dont have smooth throttle control, not worth it. Go for a basic LRP brushed ESC, not more than $30 and bulletproof. Waterproof too!

I have one which hasn't seen much use, you can have it for $25 posted Let me know.

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...verse/details/
    Thanks Hide I will take it ... please send a pm with PayPal info.

I used to have a Novak Dually but it was in a boat that I gave away some time ago.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

My SC10 body will ship from New York on Monday!!!

How close to ready is the Hornet? Do you need a hand or anything??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast