Thread: Cativation

Default Cavitation

Hi,
    I upgraded the (broken) stock prop with a 440/3, sharpened and balanced. I like the speed the boat gets with it, but it does cavitate a little before it gets on plane. I'm a little worried the RPM limiter will kick in at some point, as my son will take the turns pretty slow which drops it out of plane frequently.

Do you think adjusting the shaft angle would make any difference, or should I just move to X642?

-Chief

Sorry about the thread misspelling-- I can't seem to edit it (moderator, help?)
    Last edited by BHChieftain; 01-10-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling error

I had X642 on my sold Formula and it was great so yes, try that prop.
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

If you could lower the strut a bit (1/16 - 1/8) keeping the angle the same it may help as well.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

...any chance for pictures of your set up from the back and side?
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Here's the setup,

-Chief
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does the one I sold you (formerly Robert's) happen to cavitate on your three blade prop? it has a much more adjustable strut... The stock strut is miserably limited in its adjustments. Personally, I would probably just use the x642 which had NO cavitation problems.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Does the one I sold you (formerly Robert's) happen to cavitate on your three blade prop? it has a much more adjustable strut... The stock strut is miserably limited in its adjustments. Personally, I would probably just use the x642 which had NO cavitation problems.
    I'll swap the props between the 2 boats and muck around with the adjustments on Robert's since there are more degrees of freedom on that one...

-Chief

... Just like Jesse said, X642 will have no cavitation problems no matter what the angle is. If I remember properly I had the same problem trying Ul-1 prop and decided to swich back to X642. That prop made my Formula even more stable with great speed of arround 37MPH on stock setup and still great controll of the boat....
    Cheers
    Robert
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    ... Just like Jesse said, X642 will have no cavitation problems no matter what the angle is. If I remember properly I had the same problem trying Ul-1 prop and decided to swich back to X642. That prop made my Formula even more stable with great speed of arround 37MPH on stock setup and still great controll of the boat....
    Cheers
    Robert
    Hi,
    Just finished 2 runs today with the X642. It's much better than the 440/3, no cavitation at all...

Thanks,
    -Chief

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    Hi,
    Just finished 2 runs today with the X642. It's much better than the 440/3, no cavitation at all...

Thanks,
    -Chief
    Way to go!!!!
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada