Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minicat Racing Tenshock Mini Eco

Rob,

Yes, you have a 3200KV motor. Stay with 3S! 4S is too much for the 3200.

You can add weight to achieve the COG. Where did you buy your Mini ECO? Your profile does not show what country you are from. If you bought from us, you would have gotten instructions with a photo showing where the COG should be. If you are going to need to add weight, put it in the port side corner of the stern. This will also help the boat self right more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1699 View Post
    Just checked, and it's black on both ends - so I do have 3200kv? Ok I'll think I'll stick with 3s in that case.!

Is it ok to add weight to the stern to get the cofg right? Should this be at 30%?

Thanks!

Rob
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Tenshock has informed me that they will NOT be putting 4200KV motors in any of their mini series boats...only 3200KV or less. You may have gotten one before they made that decision. Hard to say since you didn't get it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by sampit View Post
    Just to let you know

Tenshock have a new 2009 model out, that runs a 4200kv and 40 Amp esc
    I should have my new one arrive next week.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Rob,

Yes, you have a 3200KV motor. Stay with 3S! 4S is too much for the 3200.

You can add weight to achieve the COG. Where did you buy your Mini ECO? Your profile does not show what country you are from. If you bought from us, you would have gotten instructions with a photo showing where the COG should be. If you are going to need to add weight, put it in the port side corner of the stern. This will also help the boat self right more quickly.
    Hi sailr - I'm in the UK not US, got mine from Astec (see earlier post). Thanks for your advice, hoping to test run again this weekend with 3s battery and weight added to the rear/left side. Will let you know how it goes.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Got my eco today. She is a beauty! Flawless gelcoat. Awesome hardware. Stainless prop and rudder. Mr. Sailr included a programming card with the 35 amp Seaking esc. Also even hooked me up with a nice roll of hatch tape. He even includes a female deans for your battery if you need it! Placed the battery and it took a bit, but I got it so that it self rights in about 4 seconds. First run reports will be tomorrow. I have 2 Flightmax 3s 20c 1500 packs charged up and ready to go! Should be a balmy 35 degrees tomorrow!
    So why did you sell the ECO if you liked it so much on the Rumrunner site?

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=30019

I sold it here on OSE. Bustit sold it on RRR. I sold it because I cant hold onto anything. Don't even remember, it was prob to fund other boat parts. It is a super fun little boat though with top notch gear!

If these were a little cheaper I'd get one, I never got to run my H&M eco with neu motor before I sold it. Lots of us on here seem to build stuff then sell it, what's up with that! I wonder if Sailr has any with no electronics? I've got some 3 s lipo's and seaking 35 amp esc waiting on something or other..

Just bought a yellow one and having issues getting it to self right, any suggestions or pictures of setups would be helpful.

Thanks

I added a few more holes in the top deck near the bow in the flood chamber and a teeny bit of lead inside the chamber itself. Add it in the rear, in the chamber on the outside wall. depending on your pack, you can put it on it's side all the way on the port side. My righted in just a few seconds.

I added a few more holes in the top deck near the bow in the flood chamber and a teeny bit of lead inside the chamber itself. Add it in the rear, in the chamber on the outside wall. depending on your pack, you can put it on it's side all the way on the port side. My righted in just a few seconds.
    Thanks I'll give it a try.

Default Minicat hydro

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I would like to get my hands on about 8 of the 3200kv boats, and start a class this season!
    Our club runs six MINICAT HYDROS with stock motors, x430 props, 2200 3 s lipos, OSE micro turn fins and we are having a blast. The enjoyment comes from everyone having the exact same equipment bringing driver skill to the forefront. We have found the boats to be very durable and well worth the money. Don't worry SKIPSTER, I have one for you. BG

The secret is to get the left side of the boat to sink quickly. The boats are shipped with minimal venting/cutting to leave that up to the user. Any cutting you do to allow the side to sink quickly must be done on the deck, not the bottom of the hull. In addition to or in lieu of lead weights, you can also use a heavier battery pack. I used a small 3000mah pack, mounted on it's edge, up against the flood chamber bulkhead.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

For those that are struggling to get their CoG back far enough, there is a very simple way to get it back further, the rudder linkage is what limits how far back you can move the battery.

All you have to do is:-
    cut the ziptie holding the servo in,
    run a long scalpel or stanley knife blade through the servo tape between the servo and mount,
    remove the servo arm,
    remove the servo,
    clean residue of servo tape off servo and mount with a scrapeing action and IPA,
    remove the rudder and file a new flat spot into the top of the shaft at 180 degrees to the original one,
    shorten the linkage until the 2 plastic ends are nearly touching each other,
    reinstall rudder with grub screw against new flat spot,
    reinstall servo the other way round to how it came out with either servo tape and zip tie or glue,
    smile as you slide the battery along the flood chamber wall right to the back of the hull!

God alone knows why they install the servo and servo mount the wrong way round at the factory.

Caution, the colour of the motor is not a surefire way of telling the KV as Sailr says the 2600KV is light blue, but so is my 4200KV.

As Sailr mentioned flood chamber venting, i just had to brag on my electrical symbol vents
    From bow to stern:-
    Danger high voltage.
    Ohm symbol,
    Caution electric shock risk,
    Electrical hazzard,
    Resistor symbol,
    2 cell battery symbol.
    Brushless motor symbol,
    Earth symbol.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Any Pictures of the cut outs and relocated servo?

Thanks

Yeah I put pics in the thread, can no one see them? if not there hopefully you can view this album with a different host here

if you cant see that either PM me your Email and I can send you the pics.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 12-07-2010 at 12:12 PM.

See em now

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Yeah I put pics in the thread, can no one see them? if not there hopefully you can view this album with a different host here

if you cant see that either PM me your Email and I can send you the pics.
    Paul do you find you get any water coming up the propshaft or rudder tube or are they pretty water tight in these 2 areas. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    Our club runs six MINICAT HYDROS with stock motors, x430 props, 2200 3 s lipos, OSE micro turn fins and we are having a blast. The enjoyment comes from everyone having the exact same equipment bringing driver skill to the forefront. We have found the boats to be very durable and well worth the money. Don't worry SKIPSTER, I have one for you. BG
    That sounds like a blast
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    Does the X430 Prop Fit the Stock Flex Shaft or are you having to make mods?

Default Minicat hydro

Quote Originally Posted by badag98 View Post
    Does the X430 Prop Fit the Stock Flex Shaft or are you having to make mods?
    You have to buy an OCTURA 1/8 TH drive dog as the stock one is much to wide to fit in the prop cutout. Steve sells them here for around $2.50 and the prop for $10. There is a great improvement in performance with this prop with little effect on the handling. BG

It's very watertight, it uses a wire drive in a full length stuffing tube with a bushing on the inside end, the rudder post is very long and if memory serves it ends above the waterline, also the hatch is super easy to tape.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    It's very watertight, it uses a wire drive in a full length stuffing tube with a bushing on the inside end, the rudder post is very long and if memory serves it ends above the waterline, also the hatch is super easy to tape.
    Are you useing the stock esc or did you change it, If so what did you replace it with. How would you compare the Mini Eco to the Eco as a fun boat to run with no racing in mind. As im looking at getting another small self righting boat from Astec myself. Martin.

Good luck Rob. Glad to help even if you didn't buy yours from us. I didn't know Astec was carrying the Tenshock boats.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1699 View Post
    Hi sailr - I'm in the UK not US, got mine from Astec (see earlier post). Thanks for your advice, hoping to test run again this weekend with 3s battery and weight added to the rear/left side. Will let you know how it goes.

Rob
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I'm still using the stock 30A Tenshock ESC, as I have had no problems with it.
    I don't have the Tenshock Eco, just the mono1 and Mini ECO, so I cant give a detailed comparison, but the bigger ECO will be faster and handle rough water better but it is also more expensive and bigger, pick your poison!
    I know someone that has the bigger ECO and its a real beast but knowing his fondness for Lehner an shulze I doubt that it is stock and cant really take anything from that other than the hull does have potential.

OK, I added Three rather small holes to the deck rather close the front of the flood chamber. Enlarged the holes that came stock, added a bit of weight inside in the back on the flood chamber side and poof..... she righted in a matter of seconds!!

This little bugger is a rocket and handles like its on rails!! Highly recommend this boat!!

Jim thanks again for all the help and information on the new motors in the eco, bottom line it hauls!!

I'll try to post some pictures later.

The Mini-ECO is our best kept secret. Seems very few have discovered it yet. Personally, I think it would be an absolute blast to race the lil boogers! Get 5 or 6 of em out there and let 'em rip. Have you tried the 90 degree turns yet! Yahoooo!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

What is the shipping cost for a Mini eco 3200kv boat to the UK, As the Tenshock boats seem to be thin on the ground now in the UK & the ones i have seen use the 4200kv motor.

I may buy another soon. I'm kinda getting back into the little guys since I bought the 23 Sniper. Gotta love the handling of this eco, and the self righting. Good luck flipping it though!

Shipping to the UK is going to be automatically charged at checkout at $50. I think I can ship it for around less though. The box is extra heavy duty and weighs a ton. If I can ship it for less, I'll refund you the difference. I can also give you the OSE member 10% discount right now. To get the discount, send me another PM before you order with your real name and address. Place your order on the website. We will refund 10% of your purchase (doesn't include shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    What is the shipping cost for a Mini eco 3200kv boat to the UK, As the Tenshock boats seem to be thin on the ground now in the UK & the ones i have seen use the 4200kv motor.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Buy one now before we cut off the OSE member special 10% discount! Some time after the first of the year we may discontinue the discount. Depends on the response.

I may buy another soon. I'm kinda getting back into the little guys since I bought the 23 Sniper. Gotta love the handling of this eco, and the self righting. Good luck flipping it though!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast