Thread: Seaking 180A esc (non) repair

Default Seaking 180A esc repair

Sent an early version 180a Seaking esc back to rcmodelland (compassho2005 on ebay) for repair over 4 months ago and am still waiting. In the meantime I bought a similar used replacement (ebay) and all was well until my bearings seized (sealed non-stainless) on my Powerjet jet drive taking out the replacement as well.

So I decided to try and fix it myself and bought some hi temp (130c vs 105c) replacement caps. Long story short - it didn't fix it. It still just beeps every two seconds or so and nothing else works. Maybe it needs to be reset somehow or maybe something else fried with the caps. Dunno. But what I do know is I'm going to take my caps back off, along with the wires/connectors and the water heat sink and give the rest a burial in the circular coffin.

After this and the 150A Etti demise I have decided to give those cheapochina 200A esc's a try. I'll already have a heat sink for it and maybe I can use these caps as well. The soft start feature that I'm not too fond of will probably be it's saving grace in this esc eating jetboat - since it's when I jump her out of the water and the amps spike to high heaven that takes out the speedos (but it is so fun to watch happen!). Maybe I'll make/install a cap bank as well (though it didn't seem to help the Etti!). mo' money mo' money mo' money argh!
    Last edited by sundog; 01-09-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: change title to 'repair'!!

What happened to the etti? Did you send it in for repair?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    What happened to the etti? Did you send it in for repair?
    Yes Steve, I sent it to you a month ago.

do you have the programming card?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    do you have the programming card?
    No, I don't have a programming card for either esc, I've been programming them with the transmitter. Not difficult to do, once you get things going.

try pulling the red rx wire and running a receiver pack

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Update: Wow Rumdog, that worked! So it's just the bec that bit the dust. That means the esc and the receiver get power from the bec. That's why both the receiver and speed control stopped working. Wasn't thinking that. Can't thank you enough, Sdg.
    Last edited by sundog; 01-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.

I have a castle creations 180HV has 5.5 solder but has never been ran 300.00 shiped if interested

I had one like that. The servo froze up and blew the ESC so I added an external battery. Problem was that although the ESC seemed to work, it didn't produce but about 1/2 throttle. Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    I'll give it a shot and report back.

Update: Wow Rumdog, that worked! So it's just the bec that bit the dust. That means the esc and the receiver get power from the bec. That's why both the receiver and speed control stopped working. Wasn't thinking that. Can't thank you enough, Sdg.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Awesome! I did that to a himodel once. Blew the internal bec. I hooked up a rx pack with the red rx wire still plugged in and the internal bec went immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by mike martin View Post
    I have a castle creations 180HV has 5.5 solder but has never been ran 300.00 shiped if interested
    Thanks Mike, but this one is working fine now. And I have a cheapo 200A coming in the mail to try out. That is probably a good deal for someone that races, but I'm just having fun. Sdg.

My Cheep ebay 200A esc simply beeps, dosent do anything else

Quote Originally Posted by soliverg View Post
    My Cheep ebay 200A esc simply beeps, dosent do anything else
    That's what my Seaking did - just beeped every two seconds or so. Try the above fix, it might work for you too.

I'd be willing to bet you may have an airplane esc. In that case, you'd need a pistix.