Thread: Note to self....

Default Note to self....

NOTE TO SELF - When working on updating an RC10L pan car... make SURE you don't solder BOTH motor leads to the same side of the brushess motor... (dead short)

I now can't say that I've never seen a brushed motor, solid state ESC "move" before...

One JR SC-1 ESC toast...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Reckon that voids the warranty?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Reckon that voids the warranty?

It was new, but older... it's been in storage for a couple of years... Sucks, but I have a replacement (different model) on the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    NOTE TO SELF - When working on updating an RC10L pan car... make SURE you don't solder BOTH motor leads to the same side of the brushess motor... (dead short)

I now can't say that I've never seen a brushed motor, solid state ESC "move" before...

One JR SC-1 ESC toast...
    Make sure to put some butter on that toast!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Sucks, but I have a replacement (different model) on the way...
    One of the perks of being sponsored? I have done similar brain fart, but no replacement...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

One JR SC-1 ESC toast...
    You're a sponsored shill.

You get your stuff for free. I'm not worthy,

Hobbico/Hobby Services makes me pay for my stuff, shipping too!!!

Give Champaign a call and tell them you need some more!!

Oh, but look at this. WE have our own pond:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...06931&t=h&z=18
    Don't get me started

Guys... I'm not sure where everyone got the impression that the replacement ESC was free...

I bought this car on Ebay a couple of years ago, completely RTR just as it sits... The JR ESC was already there... The new one is a Dynamite $49.95 12T Tazer ESC... Just a play toy, not going to race (well... I may take my son down to the local indoor track one of these Wednesday nights... )... Just wanted something I could tinker with with all these brushed motors I have laying around....

Guys... I'm not sure where everyone got the impression that the replacement ESC was free...
    Because all you sponsored guys get everything for free. Everyone knows that. As a consequence nothing you say can be trusted since you will lie through your teeth to stay on the Free-Loader Express.

I mean look at me. I get a free T shirt and hat once every other year and just look at what I'll do for that. You free ride boys take that to a whole new level!!

I'd be disappointed if Horizon didn't buy you a new house for almost burning yours down!!
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    I'd be disappointed if Horizon didn't buy you a new house for almost burning yours down!!
    I KNEW I forgot to hit them up for something....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    Oh, but look at this. WE have our own pond:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...06931&t=h&z=18
    Here's "your" old pond a mile or so away.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.013733&z=17

The bank going down into the water isn't as steep, in fact you can see the retrieve boat parked there.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Andy - is that pond used by the locals?? Looks pretty nice. I just it was sort of funny that Hobbico has a pond right outside their door.
    Don't get me started

It's used by one of the locals. I see a guy playing there a lot. Some fishermen, too.

But it really is the old Hobbico boat testing site. One of my friends here used to be the boat guy over at Hobbico, and that's where he did his testing. It's close to their building on Interstate. When I asked Mike, he said he works in the Interstate Rd office (Apollo is the warehouse district of town). He could be testing at either location. I never bothered to ask.

The rest of the Hobbico site is pretty close to the above site. There's an RC car track with jumps by the parking lot. The building is labeled "Brick Layers" on Google. They also have "Tower Hobbies" on a vacant lot between Research Rd and Newmark Dr so that should tell you a little about the accuracy. Our buildings are labeled "Anything Kids" which is actually a good bit away from us on the other side of Stahley rd.

Here's the Hobbico offices site:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.003433&z=19

Hey, they still have a "Now Hiring" sign out in their front yard on Interstate. You could be here enjoying snow instead of being stuck in that southern CA fire zone!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

One JR SC-1 ESC toast...
    I pulled a Brain Dead stunt myself just a few days ago. I always wrap masking tape around the brush contact area of the commutator when winding a motor, to keep from getting any solder on that area if I happen to slip with the iron. Apparently, I must have grabbed a can of paint thinner to clean the tape goo off the commutator instead of the alcohol, which resulted in the enamel insulation being partially disolved [Oops, dissolved) - - Smoke tested that armature. Thankfully, the ESC wasn't destroyed, as the thermal cutoff kicked-in.
    Last edited by FloatDaBoat; 01-08-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: misspelt dissolved (disolved)