Thread: hull repair

Question hull repair

I am new at the art of boat repair and was hoping someone could help me with this problem. I am building the Italeri 1/35 Elco pt boat as a running model. I have set up three (3) 550 can motors with a speed control , so far so good . I have cut three holes in the hull for the three shafts , unfortunately because I could not find any other assistance , I ended up with three holes that are each 2" inches bt 1/2" that I have to close. Question , can I seal them with fiberglass patch. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks Shark15help:

Glass should work fine. Just be-sure to completely set your drive line up before glassing it over.

Thanks , Shark15

Maybe use a little bit of fiberglass plate cut to fit the opening? Then glass that in.

You could do that, or you could use some masking tape laid out flat on the outside and glass from the inside, and make sure to have your drive line in place as stated above, you may need to brace it up a bit to keep it from moving while you perform the repair. This would keep your repair at the same level as the original hull and a lot less sanding, which you will have to do anyway,or use epoxy resin (it smells a whole lot less than polyester Resin) and epoxy is less likely to melt anything as it is less reactive (other than sticking ) and not seeing a picture of what you are fixing makes it sort of tough to assess the situation, but I would stretch some tape over the holes and place my stuffing tubes through the tape and repair away.
    Peter Eells; Fun, and Helping others To Have Fun!!!
    http://rcboatsbypetere.blogspot.com/
    RC.Boats.by.Pete@gmail.com

Do what peells said! You will be happy with the result!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com