I got a cheap toy electric surfer. It's inspired me to get a real one. I can't find anyone that carries them so I've been thinking about building my own hull and getting a donor boat for parts.

I plan to shape the hull out of foam and then fiber glass it, a very similar process to how real surfboards are made.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a kit or donor boat? It's going to have a large surface area so it will be very floaty. It's also going to be self-righting.

My plan is to run my cells in parallel. The hull should be big enough to hold 2 packs in parallel. I think I'll stow them deep in the hull, below the waterline to help it self-right.

I don't so much care if it's 6 or 7 -pack. I'm trying to stay away from 14v system. just because 4 packs (2 parallel sets of 2 in series@ 7.2v) is 24 cells which would be a whole bunch of weight.

I'm looking at 38+" long and about 10" wide at its widest (keep in mind a surfboard's tail is narrower then the middle).

I would appreciate any insight and/or advice. I'm new to real RCing. I do have a book on the way. :)