Thread: 1st or 2nd generation UL-1?

Default 1st or 2nd generation UL-1?

I'm a newbie to the RC boats arena and am wanting to purchase a UL-1. As most of you know, everyone is out of stock so I am looking a couple of used ones. Both were purchased in 7/09; one from here (OSE) and the other from the person's LHS. With both of them being purchased in 7/9, they both have the possiblity of being the 1st generation as well as perhaps a 2nd generation. After reading all the threads here and on RCU, I only want a 2nd generation UL-1. So, is there a way to tell whether a used UL-1 is a 1st generation or 2nd generation production?
    Thanks

The only way that I know of is to check the fin area. It flexes far less.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

hmmm, unfortunately neither of the boats are local and available for my inspection. Does anyone know if OSE had only 2nd generation UL-1 in stock back in July? Grimracer ... can you chime in?

Wait until they are in stock
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Yes, I think I will wait. Although both boats come with lots of extras; props, batteries, extra receiver, etc ... the thought of getting a 1st generation UL-1 just isn't worth it.

Food for thought..

Yes the older boats have the sponson back strength issues but dew to changes to the lay up to make the glass more stable the updated boat will come in a tic heaver.. Me.. I would review some close-up pics of the boats in question and if the glass work is flat.. update the fin area as needed..

Depending on what props and batts come with them this could be a very good deal.

BTY.. I still “race” the older hulls.. When it comes to play time I don’t care which one I use!

Grim

IMO, the first gen is just as good as the second!
    to much bad talk about the 1st gen has scared people away
    I have many runs on my CAT UL-1 and not one issue with the turn fin and my baby runs 52-53mph and turns fast
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I disagree. I had a gen one and gen two. The overall quality of the gen two hull seemed much better and it went without the stress fractures in the glass and chinsy turn fin area. On my gen one hull, the turn fin area was blown out after run number one.

all that needs done on the first gen really is a simple mod to the turn fine area...
    I did this before I hit the water with it and not one problem
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s