Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ProBoat HyperSport 48 Gas Mono - Prep for Racing

thanks for your efforts! i really enjoyed the thread and couldnt wait for the updates.its too bad the HP48 had to face such a tragic demise.ive been a fan of the boat ever since its debut,and i always wondered how it would perform modded.great work!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    thanks for your efforts! i really enjoyed the thread and couldnt wait for the updates.its too bad the HP48 had to face such a tragic demise.ive been a fan of the boat ever since its debut,and i always wondered how it would perform modded.great work!
    Thanks... I think if I were to do it again, I'd take the time up front to lay some reinforcing cloth to the inside of the ENTIRE HULL... In my opinion, it's layed up way too light for racing... It's fine for Sport running, but for all out competitive racing, you need more strength to survive things like this.

It COULD be repaired, but it would be a LOT of work. I already have the hull stripped down. Weighs just 5lbs 4oz, by the way... Would be fun as an FE hull...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Here are some action shots taken by Jerry Dunlap (gotta LOVE racing with a legend!!) before the demise... Was really having some fun!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since this will live forever as "the" Hypersport thread, I'm going to show how much I'm enjoying mine. Only thing I upgraded was steering servo and push-rod. Runs 35 all day. Not real fast, but it boogies.

great pic. ive noticed on a few vids as well that owners are running them without the canopy,looks awesome and i bet it runs alot cooler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    great pic. ive noticed on a few vids as well that owners are running them without the canopy,looks awesome and i bet it runs alot cooler as well.
    Ya know, I'm kinda new at this - the only reason I'm running topless is because I am still working out some kinks - I thought the cooling water wasn't flowing with the positive pressure from the exhaust, but it turns out the over heating was because I was running lean.

If you decide to rebuild this or another I wanted to recomment soldering the nose piece, or as we called them "ferrell". I always soldered mine on 60 and 90 nitro boats and never had a problem with the "Ferrells". I also found a guy who would weld an aluminum stub onto the tuned pipe, made for a very secure connection. Nice writeup with a sad ending.

Hi Darin,

I am new to the site as well as R.C boating. I have running RC’s all my life things such 1/8 cars and truck various scale size planes and most recently 1/5 scale stuff. I picked up a hypersport 48 and I love the thing it’s my first ever RC boat. The only issue I have with it it’s slow to me and I want much more speed!!! Believe it or not this is the only forum I have found on the web for this boat. I have a few questions about the mods you have done. I want to add a tune pipe setup.

1. Do you know quick draw Hot Pipe deep vee pipe (shown by crabstick) will fit in the hull without any mods?

2. How did you plug the hole for the can pipe?
    3. What kind of pipe mount did you use for the aftermarket pipe?

I would really like to use the Quick draw pipe (mainly for looks) but only if it fits with no mods. But if not would you recommend your set-up?
    Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy23 View Post
    1. Do you know quick draw Hot Pipe deep vee pipe (shown by crabstick) will fit in the hull without any mods?

2. How did you plug the hole for the can pipe?
    3. What kind of pipe mount did you use for the aftermarket pipe?

I would really like to use the Quick draw pipe (mainly for looks) but only if it fits with no mods. But if not would you recommend your set-up?
    Thanks for all your help!

1 => I looked at the QD Hot Pipe and I do think it would fit. Might require a few mods, and some careful thinking about how to get it to exit cleanly.

2 => I just used a rubber stopper pushed into the existing coupling hose, and ran a zip-tie around it. Was going to glass up the hole in the side once I had everything in place and working and knew I wasn't turning back.

3 => I made the mount myself out of some aluminum material I had.

The BIGGEST increase in speed and performance came from updating the engine with the Gizmo Motors GZ-1 Top-End Kit... EASY to install, and increased power up to around 5.5hp with the pipe... REALLY woke this thing up.

Hi Darin,

...The only issue I have with it it’s slow to me and I want much more speed!!!
    Did you try increasing your strut angle? Mine at neutral was running 31 and felt slow. With a positive prop angle it's on the chine and feels fast - running 37 last time I checked, but that was still only my third tank of gas or so. Might be able to lean it out some more.

Quick Q for Darin: How much work is it to install the Gizmo sleeve kit out of curiosity? I can't easily find info on the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    1 => I looked at the QD Hot Pipe and I do think it would fit. Might require a few mods, and some careful thinking about how to get it to exit cleanly.

2 => I just used a rubber stopper pushed into the existing coupling hose, and ran a zip-tie around it. Was going to glass up the hole in the side once I had everything in place and working and knew I wasn't turning back.

3 => I made the mount myself out of some aluminum material I had.

The BIGGEST increase in speed and performance came from updating the engine with the Gizmo Motors GZ-1 Top-End Kit... EASY to install, and increased power up to around 5.5hp with the pipe... REALLY woke this thing up.
    Hey guys thanks for taking the time out to give some much needed advice to a newbie. I will to try out some positive angle on the prop strut, Also might go with the QD HotPipe and have the guy from my LHS install it for me just to retain to look (I not to great at fabing stuff). Quick question, If I upgrade to the Gizmo Motors GZ-1 Top-End Kit will I have to upgrade to a tuned pipe to get aleast 85%-90% of the 5.5hp you were getting. Once again guys thanks for the help.

Quick question, If I upgrade to the Gizmo Motors GZ-1 Top-End Kit will I have to upgrade to a tuned pipe to get aleast 85%-90% of the 5.5hp you were getting. Once again guys thanks for the help.
    I would definitely get a tuned pipe, without one you wont have much of a powerband due to the increased supercharging effect of a tuned pipe.

the QD or redline or CC racing Steel hotpipe will generally give you gains over a normal alloy pipe too.
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Thanks Crabstick, I just wonder if it will fit nicely inside? I really wish more people who have this boat, were doing mods to it so I could have more to go off of.
    Last edited by flyboy23; 06-05-2011 at 12:24 PM.

you can only try, the DV hotpipe is reasonably compact, but as the name says runs "hot".

http://abmarine.co.nz/index.php/ab-m.../deep-vee-pipe

Here are some good pics of a redline DV hotpipe..
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Your the man mr d im just getting started im getting my boat tomorrow and im just checking out some of the things youve done and i love it

This is still practically the only Hypersport 48 thread around so I wanted to post a little fun I had this weekend... On board video run! It was my first try so the rear view isn't very good - need to widen out the shot. Next time. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXUq41zkcGs

Plus a still action shot.

Cool video!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Great video

Hi Darin,
    I'll buy a shockwave 55 is it reliable water from the supersport 48?

Hey Darin, are you willing to part with your throttle linkage set up for hypersport 48?

Hey Darin, are you willing to part with your throttle linkage set up for hypersport 48?
    I'm not even sure I still have it... Let me look...

Hello guys,

I have recently bought my new proboat hypersport 48 and I have make some changes on my boat under the guidance of Darin! I have ordered quite a few parts in "Bonzi Sport" (cylinder head, exhaust...), gizmomotors (linkage system for the carburetor, 26/14 ABC prop, and GZ-2 Kit for upgraded my zenoah!!), pmbmodelboat for the exhaust support, kintec racing for the hose cooling!

Here are some photos of my transformation!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56804[/ATTACH

DSC03580.jpg

DSC03581.jpg

DSC03582.jpg

more pictures with wt 257 carburator....

DSC03583.jpg

DSC03584.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03586.jpg

a big thank you to Darin who has given me many ideas! thanks

Looks good! One word of advice... With all that power, if you REALLY want to keep handling well and on the water, add about 2-3lbs of weight right around the motor on the CG. Boat will tighten up and run like CRAZY around the course and in the chop. Was too loose to race before I did this, and was running like a champ after...

Hi Darin,

I thought give it a try before adding weight, but if you say that the control of the boat is bad with all the power I will not risk losing it!! I had also thought to reinforce the hull with carbon fiber under the engine and trans! What do you think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by xxxrems38xxx View Post
    Hi Darin,

I thought give it a try before adding weight, but if you say that the control of the boat is bad with all the power I will not risk losing it!! I had also thought to reinforce the hull with carbon fiber under the engine and trans! What do you think about that?
    The hull is WAY too thin, in my opinion, and can stand to be re-enforced wherever possible. The weight will not hurt you.

ok thanks Darin! i will post any pictures of this later and i will take more vids of my boat!! oh I forgot to tell you if it was necessary to change the transmission with the flex?

small change on my hypersport 48, I have painted the front for the competition to be held September 11 in France! Promised I would put photos of the day!

DSC03906.jpg

DSC03907.JPG

Hi,

I continued on my topic hypersport 48, here are the photos of the day on September 11, and I would say that the hypersport 48 is a great boat with a gizmomotors V2 kit! Because I have finished 3 rd with him!DSC04008.jpgDSC04009.jpgDSC04010.jpgDSC04011.jpgDSC04012.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast