Thread: Question about PB Mystic 29 and Miss Geico

Default Question about PB Mystic 29 and Miss Geico

I decided after a 15 year break from rc boating to get back into it again now that my son is 12 and he and I can run together. Went out yesterday and picked up both a Mystic 29 and a Miss Geico both RTR. I set up the Mystic with 2 2cell venom 5000 40c lipo's and the Miss Geico with 2 venom 2cell 5400 20c lipo's. Cant figure out why the Miss Geico is clearly faster ????? Not night and day , but it will pull 10-15 boat lengths in a 100yard straight run. I would have assumed the Mystic motor and Esc along with the 40c packs would have an edge on it.... Anyone have experience with both models that could give me any ideas? Both are set up the same as far as battery placement and strut height. The other question I have is that I noticed on the Miss Geico that the prop shaft cable is installed backwards ..... It spins the correct direction , but the spiral windings of the cable are backwards so it pulls grease and water into the hull. Anyone ever seen this before. I assume PB or my local hobby shop will replace the defective unit . Thanks for any and all input.

I believe the "backwards" cable is actually a "right handed lay".
    This means it is intended to use a right hand prop.
    This also means you need to stop running it left handed because it will unwind and tear up the stuffing tube or worse.
    This is not a defect, it is intended for counter rotating twins like my SuperCat has.

Harry
    from Atlanta
    60" Expresscraft SuperCat
    (2) 2028 Castle motors 64.7 mph
    10s3p with x450/3 props
    15,000 mah 40c cells,

Understood. I didn't mean defect per say . I know they have left and right hand lay. This boat is designed to have a left hand rotation and it has a right handed flex shaft. Thanks for the input.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...217#post225217

Please look at that thread above. The 1st batch of MG's came with reversed flex shafts (this was this time last year), HH and PB have sense pulled and/or replaced all the CW flexcables with the proper CCW flexcables. Unless this hull sat at the LHS for over a year it should be the correct cable. Easy solution is check the Mystic cable and compare to the MG cable, they should be exactly the same. If they are not the same and you by chance actually have the wrong cable please contact HH will supply you with the proper cable free of charge in a few days. There CS is very good.

* The have pulled the bulletin for the replacement cable but I will try and dig it up, you should be able to phone them without the bulletin and let them know you have a first batch Miss Geico and cable is wrong. I will try and find the bulletin here though.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Support/
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 10-23-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Are both boats running the same props (in the same condition)? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is strut adjustment differences...

Chief

Are you running the stock props on each? They are different the MG is plastic (or something) and the MC is metal.

I have both also, but have had too many issues with the MC to test it (shipped with broken collet, replaced it extra from my BJ, then on second run tried to test a CF 42MM and one of the motor bullet connectors came unsoldered).

You would have to have the same prop on each for true test against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    Are both boats running the same props (in the same condition)? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is strut adjustment differences...

Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by MORIDE View Post
    Are you running the stock props on each? They are different the MG is plastic (or something) and the MC is metal.

I have both also, but have had too many issues with the MC to test it (shipped with broken collet, replaced it extra from my BJ, then on second run tried to test a CF 42MM and one of the motor bullet connectors came unsoldered).

You would have to have the same prop on each for true test against each other.
    That is the only thing different between the two. One has a stainless and one is plastic. same diameter and pitch just different material. I will try to throw the spare plastic on the mystic and try again when I get the correct flex shaft for the MG.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...217#post225217

Please look at that thread above. The 1st batch of MG's came with reversed flex shafts (this was this time last year), HH and PB have sense pulled and/or replaced all the CW flexcables with the proper CCW flexcables. Unless this hull sat at the LHS for over a year it should be the correct cable. Easy solution is check the Mystic cable and compare to the MG cable, they should be exactly the same. If they are not the same and you by chance actually have the wrong cable please contact HH will supply you with the proper cable free of charge in a few days. There CS is very good.

* The have pulled the bulletin for the replacement cable but I will try and dig it up, you should be able to phone them without the bulletin and let them know you have a first batch Miss Geico and cable is wrong. I will try and find the bulletin here though.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Support/
    Yes , they are different. It would not suprise me if it sat in the HS for a year. Thanks for the info. I will give horizon a call tomorrow.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I can already see that this is an awesome forum.

Default Let me know

Please keep me posted how the prop switch works for you. I do know that he metal prop on my Mystic was way out of balance and a $#@% to balance and sharpen being steel.

Will do.... I think I am also going to pick up an x642 to try out on it also. I have read here that someone was trying an x640 but from octura's site they appear to be almost identical to the stock prop. We shall see.

The Geico motor is a lower kv but has more torque, this could easily be why it pulls a few boat length in only 100 yards.
    I personally love the Geico motor, it's what I've decided runs best in my Motley Crew for a spec setup.
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

The X642 runs great on the MG . It must be sharpened and balanced . An M442 also runs great .