Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy Cells Crush G3's

Default Turnigy Cells Crush G3's

I quote "Capacity and initial voltage are above G3. Proving once again the evils of big brand marketing" unquote.

Look here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/f...s.asp?TID=5158

Turnigy lipos are 'underated' in capacity meaning a 2200mah pack is actually approx. 2400mah,therefore appearing to give better performance all round.
    Not a bad thing.
    My 6S 3000 packs actually put back more than the 'full' mah when recharging,and still show about 3.7v resting volts when depleted.
    Decent cells,so far.
    Slow gets boring fast.

I don't disagree but the real proof is voltage when pulling 100+ amps out out of them. I have round cells that show more voltage but when a load goes on them they drop.

Just my 2 cents...maybe you have already loaded them up and tested.

I have run them against my G3 cells and sorry they just don't compare.
    Team Liquid Dash

Cool

Nice advertising copy, since the initial poster essentially works for HobbyKing! For those who didn't bother to read beyond the first post:

It's ONE test on a brand new battery at a relatively low 20C discharge rate.
    The real test is how the Turnigy holds up:
    1) After a few charges and it has bedded in (It is possible to make a battery that performs well initially and then decays - not saying this is true here!)
    2) At higher discharge rates like 35C which is the actual continuous rating of the cell.
    3) In the long term - that is after 100's of cycles.
    All of these are areas where the G3's are proven after extensive testing by 3rd parties and for which they are valued.
    In short, it's a promising result and great news that we are seeing this performance at HK prices but it is a while before HK can claim "TURNIGY Lithium Polymer Battery destroys the competition!"

The Turdigy cells may be the bestthing since sliced bread for helis and cars, but for marine use the jury is out.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I don't get it. The G3 cells gave more voltage. The Mah is not going to win you a race. It might loose you a race without good management but won't add any speed. Speed or RPM comes from a higher voltage. Did I read the chart wrong?

HT

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

The Turdigy cells may be the bestthing since sliced bread

Now thats just funny I don't care who you are!!!
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

I beleive for low to medium amp draw they hold up fine and can't be beat for the price. These are the only brand of lipos I own as of now. The first three runs on my 2200 packs were awesome. After that they became sluggish and have puffed. I will try to give the G3s a shot and give my honest opinion on them.

Here's original tread from RCGROUPS.COM http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160946

Turnigy has obiously more capacity than other similar rated packs, here's what I found:

I compaired two 6S packs, both are brand new. At 3.2A discharge(due to 80W discharge limit of my charger) and 3.0V/cell LVC,
    my Turnigy 5000mAh delivers 5184mAh , 104% of norminal
    my Hyperion G3 VX4200mAh delivers 4043mAh. 96% of nominal.

I thought this maybe the answer for why Turnigy packs are heavier.

Question

I beleive for low to medium amp draw they hold up fine and can't be beat for the price....The first three runs on my 2200 packs were awesome. After that they became sluggish and have puffed...
    Now this I do not understand. The packs"hold up fine" but yours only lasted three cycles? What amp draw did you subject them to? What experience do you have showing them to be fine at "medium amp draw"? What do you consider to be "medium amp draw"? Are they better cells than the Rhinos, etc.? I'm not trying to be mean here, just trying to understand these new bargain wonder cells. Basing a buying decision on a chart supplied by the distributor which contains a rather dubious analysis is not the path of the thinking FE boater.

./

I have had excellent results with Turnigy lipos in high amp draw setups. Can't beat them for the price. I will not spend 2 to 3 times the cash for big brand lipos. NEVER>

Now this I do not understand. The packs"hold up fine" but yours only lasted three cycles? What amp draw did you subject them to? What experience do you have showing them to be fine at "medium amp draw"? What do you consider to be "medium amp draw"? Are they better cells than the Rhinos, etc.? I'm not trying to be mean here, just trying to understand these new bargain wonder cells. Basing a buying decision on a chart supplied by the distributor which contains a rather dubious analysis is not the path of the thinking FE boater.

./
    When I mean low to medium amp draw I am talking about it use in my rc trucks and my stock SV27. I have had over 60 cycles on my 5000 20-30c batteries I am going to guess that the amp draw is somewhere in the 50 amp range on average based on run time in the SV, but have no logger to officially document that. With my SC10 I was averaging 25 min of run time an average of 12-15 amps. Packs were always under 120* They still was as powerfull as the day I got em.

Now that I have a different setup in the SV, I now pull a constant of 75 amps with spikes of 100 on average. This is with a logger. Batteries now comes out of the boat at 150* average and are starting to show some wear. The cells have a larger voltage gap between each cell. They also dont hold the votage as well. Even my new packs 30-40c packs are slowly falling off with about a dozen cycles.

My mini hydro pulls over 65 amps consant (also calculated with run time). Due to the size of this boat biggest Turnigy that fits is the 2200 size. The packs that I got was the 30-40c rating. Was looking for the 40-50c but they was all out of stock. I knew I would be cutting it close but for the price it was worth a try. The first set of runs ran great with a lot of power. Temps were blazing on the batteries with a 180* average with a X632. Using the smallest prop I have (x427) it still heat up to 165* on a two minute run. I know for sure that this battery does not fit this application. Being that they are overdrawn after 3-4 runs they are much slower and 3 have puffed. Two of them puffed just slightly were they return back to normal after cooled. The other one is a gonners.

I am not complaining that Turnigy's are bad. To me they are worth every penny you pay for them. They are just not right for my application. Hyperion has a 2600 35-65c battery that will fit. If Turnigy/Zippy offered something similar I would stick with Turnigy/Zippy but they don't so I need to jump ship.

All of my boats have a LVC of 3.3v per cell. Batteries are all charged on a Hyperion 1210i charger with a LBA10a balancer @ 1c.

BTW no offesnse taken. These are just my findings and opinions.
    Last edited by BakedMopar; 12-21-2009 at 12:52 PM.

You will struggle to find any lipo at any price point to constantly stand up to 30C constant usage,especially in a tight confines of a sealed hull.
    If the link provided at the start of this thread IS genuinely written by a connected HK employee,he also states;
    '2200 mah Hyperion Vx and 2200mah Turnigy both warm up to 80 celsius on 75A. It means that they are ruined in couple of cycles'.

IMO the technology isnt quite there yet for huge output from small lightweight cells AND big cycle numbers.

2 min. runs to me seems pointless unless its a SAW boat and ruining cells doesnt matter.
    Slow gets boring fast.

Well 2 minute runs wasn't what I wanted either. That's just the way the boat was setup when I got it. Hell it's fast though and I quote from your sig "slow gets boring fast"

LOl,i thought you might pick up on the 'slow gets boring thing'
    Slow gets boring fast.

FOR ALL THE DIE HARDS THAT THINK TURNIGY JUST CANT KEEP UP

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25041
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

Just listening in , great info and topic guys . Will be looking for replacement lipo's this spring for some of my high amp draw systems . Always looking for a balance between power and economy....$$$$$$$$$$$ . Was seriously looking at the G3's but who knows whats going to happen months from now
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Guys I forked out the hard earned for some G3 lipo's, puffed two first run, third on its second run and the fourth I gave away for free. I use Zippy flight max 5000mah 4s 30c packs in the same boats, same set ups and have had NO problems at all. With a cost of under $60 what more can I say

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    .....what more can I say
    tell me about your avatar... well chosen.

Well, I have had good experiences with the Flightmax 5000 30c...
    it's been reliable in a UL setup, not much drain there though...
    it does not have the same punch that a new Elite 35c has, there is a noticeable difference... but then again, not the same C rate. I have not tried the G3 cells, there have been too many mixed reviews about it and decided not to go for it. My cream of the crop is the new TP 45c cell, I am looking forward to unleash that puppy.
    I also have the Rhino 20c packs that I use as a 10s2p and there is ONE cell in one of the 5s packs that just does not wanna cooperate... it's considerably lower then the rest of it... maybe I can figure something out to make it work again, not sure how it got to be that low since I don't use those packs too often, but I also know that they are cheap packs and something like it is expected.

Anyway, the FM packs are working fine so far, in a low amp draw scenario.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Cool

Guys I forked out the hard earned for some G3 lipo's, puffed two first run, third on its second run and the fourth I gave away for free....what more can I say
    With several dozen G3 packs in HOTMBC boats - all full-race packs pushed hard for months - not a single problem has occurred. I guess all I can say is that some folks can screw-up an anvil...........

With several dozen G3 packs in HOTMBC boats - all full-race packs pushed hard for months - not a single problem has occurred. I guess all I can say is that some folks can screw-up an anvil...........

apply enough heat and mix it with a little air.......and even an anvil will melt
    SPRINT CAT 40.........BOOGIMAN 25" MONO 8xl
    EX President of the Offshore FE Vultures Society

I own a couple DOZEN myself and no puffs or problems whatsoever.
    Team Liquid Dash

Andy you must have gotten the above the equator version G3's ---- the electrons were moving in the wrong direction that's all!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

I guess all I can say is that some folks can screw-up an anvil...........
    I have been doing this for a while now, so just for *!***!***!***!**s and giggles I will tell you that the packs I purchased were crap. This is MY experience with these cells. If you do not like it STIFF $HIT.I know that the setups are not to hot, run times not to long and LV set correctly. As the cheaper cells handle the SAME set ups OK I suggest you just accept that like everything quality can vary greatly.

Andy, sorry to hear you had such bad luck with your G3 packs. I have recommended these packs to everyone I know, I hope others aren't having the same problems? I know David K. bought some too, I wonder how he liked them?
    Team Liquid Dash

Ray I got mine as soon as they hit the market, I have heard that some of the first ones were not up to scratch.

Andrew this is my take on things , even high end manufacturers produce there .5% or less Monday and Friday substandard crap . I special ordered a 2220/1.5Y from Neu and got a motor that was a little less than there level of advertised quality . the only saving grace was the fact I had the machinery to correct someone else's neglect and sloppy workmanship . to put it blunt everyone takes a crap once in a while unfortunately we get burn't thinking we are buying the best there is . I for one am certainly open to trying the Turnagy cell just for the price they can be bought for
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

I had a set of the turnigy 3s packs and both packs just died one died mid run in a boat the remaining of the set was used to power a traxxas stampede this one also died in the middle of a run in both cases the batteries were not even warm . I have heard of this problem from others also after doing the research after the first one died . I am using zippys now with no problems at all .Just thought I'd throw that out there I mean what are the chances of 2 packs failing in the same way

have you opened the packs up for a look. if you do do so carfully.
    i run turnigy cells and think dollar for dollar cant be beat,i cant see a battry worth 5x more is going to be 5x better.
    i have seen one of the turnigy packs work for half a run and stop,after a carful look my mate found one cell wasnt soldered properly across the tag,after a quick solder it works fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast