Thread: Fiber Glass and Epoxy or JB Weld ???

Default Fiber Glass and Epoxy or JB Weld ???

Please post your opinion....
    Robert
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Default Fibreglass

I use Fibreglass for everything, it's heavier, but from my experence, nice and strong. I use chopped strand matt & resin. If I need a thicker glue, I use resin & talcum powder to thicken it, works a treat.

Cheers....Tim.

Whats the application? I use each for different tasks. If I have a big gap to fill, I use fiberglass. If I need some flexibility, I use JB Weld. JB Weld is more dense that fiberglass. I'd be curious to know which would have a stronger tensile strength though.
    The RTR Nightmare- Electric King of Shaves
    Now with 540s- 62mph
    New setup- Etti 150A's, Turnigy 2600s, 5S, X442s and a whole lot of cooling hoses

Tensile Fiberglass, shear JB weld...

Pulling vs. Shearing. We might not be as interested in tensile as it is a longitudinal test. The forces that our boats are more likely to encounter come from impact, in which case shear is the more important factor. HOWEVER, Fiberglass retains flexibility which can help absorb the force, but thats a different thing all together.

The JB would also have a lower yield strength, and would have a quick brittle failure. Fiberglass has a higher yield strength, allowing it to deform elastically and return to original state. (it bends)

My thoughts would be Fiberglass for sectional work, JB for smaller "hole filling" or crack sealing.. elastic materials in cracks are not the answer

What about motor mounting ( metal or wood ) or aluminum servo mount?
    Fiberglass or JB weld?
    I see on many of your pictures that both are beeing used and personally think fiberglass looks clean, very clean.
    It is visable on your pictures that many of you are using JB weld to install brass tube in the hull. Why not fiberglass for clean look?
    Robert
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Robert, I've used Quick Set JB for shaft and motor mounts. Made a little "dam" from square wood & it comes out quite clean looking. I've seen o-rings used for the stuffing shaft "dam" as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Epoxy and fiberglass is all that I use,

I have had POOR results with JB Weld I don't know why, but every time I blew over a hull, something came loose in side. so I quit using it.

Loctite 50 minute Marine Epoxy doesn’t require a ‘dam’ to be used as is the case with JB Weld. It’s very viscose, & pretty much stays where you put it, unless large quantities are used. It’s only downside is that it turns from gray to a sickly pea green color after being exposed to UV rays in sunlight. Here’s a Photo of it used in the fabrication of some water pick-ups I built. It also works great for joining a deck to a hull during construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by FloatDaBoat View Post
    Loctite 50 minute Marine Epoxy doesn’t require a ‘dam’ to be used as is the case with JB Weld. It’s very viscose, & pretty much stays where you put it, unless large quantities are used. It’s only downside is that it turns from gray to a sickly pea green color after being exposed to UV rays in sunlight. Here’s a Photo of it used in the fabrication of some water pick-ups I built. It also works great for joining a deck to a hull during construction.
    ...that looks clean and strong....
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    ...that looks clean and strong....
    Indeed it does. I've used some RV fiberglass a while back and I was also impressed by its durability.

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    Please post your opinion....
    Robert
    For what?

Thread is 12 years old guys
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Thread is 12 years old guys
    Damn I got sucked in .