Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Skunkworks 32" Catamaran

Thanks Simon I like the Arneson Drives too for a scale look. Kevin's first cat was awsome, but from what he's saying this new baby will be better

* BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Scotty, any chance of selling this hull with some appropiate twin drive hardware, rudder and mounts already installed?

Any up dates on your progress?

My wife and I have a new baby girl in the family. I do have a CNC man working on a new design for the rudder standoff. He has been very busy so progress is slow. my initial setup will be twin Neu 1509/2y & CC 120's. In the meantime I have also purchased a pair of Neu 1515/1y and CC 240's. I have all sorts of goodies in the way of props so just stay tuned. There is more to come, I've just been very busy with the family lately.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Congratulations on the new member of the family. I know how it is when you want everything to be just the way you want it. I am slowly gathering parts for my hull and realistic time frame will hopefully be by summer. Everyday seem like I change my mind about something arrggh.

TTH did you start to drill your hull yet? I know you got the proto so your may be different but on mine the transome (rudder standoff) has aluminum between the glass. Not to sure where else is got it. It's pretty thick too at least 1/4".

mines on its way!

I have not made any penetrations yet. Been really busy at work and my cnc man is taking a long time getting to my custom rudders. Now that you have mentioned it I am curious to see. I will just have to wait tho until I get my rudder in place to know the mounting position. Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else have input on this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    My wife and I have a new baby girl in the family. I do have a CNC man working on a new design for the rudder standoff. He has been very busy so progress is slow. my initial setup will be twin Neu 1509/2y & CC 120's. In the meantime I have also purchased a pair of Neu 1515/1y and CC 240's. I have all sorts of goodies in the way of props so just stay tuned. There is more to come, I've just been very busy with the family lately.
    tth Is there any way of getting your cnc man to do an extra rudder assembly?

I just got my boat from Scotty and setting up for twin drives, but I can't find a decent inline rudder at a reasonable cost.

Bernouli to be honest with you I haven't talked to him in several weeks. The last time I contacted him he wasn't even started. Things here in the south are getting busy in my line of work. I've been having to go offshore alot lately. He is going to make several of them for me. PM me your address and I'll reserve one for you. I don't know a definate price yet but I can tell you its around $65.00

Default Skunkworks Cat

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    Merry Christmas from my wife to me!!!! She suggested that I theme this build after the two drivers that lost their lives on the Victory 1 may they rest in peace. This is the new Skunkworks 32" Cat. I was fortunate enough to purchase the very first one produced. This hull is very rigid, no need for reinforcement. Just a hair over 2.4 lbs on the scale. I would like to thank Scotty for the hull and may he have much success with this new catamaran. It is a beauty. I have included a few key angles that many of you were wanting.........
    Mine arrived today. Excellent packing protected the hull and canopy. Starting on the twin 9XL motor installation.

jesflorida

Made a little progress on the Smelly Kitty!!! All you fella's on here getting your twins wet are getting my blood pumping. Been so busy at work and with the family I haven't had much time for my boats. So the struts are now mounted with the rudder on the transom. After the hardware was assembled I wanted to try a rough layout of equipment. Looking pretty good so far. Definately not much room to work with. Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice dude. Yep family always comes first. You'll love this boat. It looks so cool sitting in the water. I've only run mines once but for the first time out I was more than happy. I hear ya, what looks like a lot of room soon dissapears with twins!

Will be watching this one for sure.

Aloha,
    George

Thanks George I think I'm the only person running struts while all others are running stingers. Im curious to see how different if at all it performs????

Lookin real nice.

Any more pics of that rudder?

I was gonna run struts also. That was my first intention because I couldn't find stinger that would fit. When I found these I ordered them to see how I liked them. After contemplating I decided to do it different from you (at the time I think only you, egneg and I had them). It would of have been cool though especially if Jeff made the outboard covers for the struts. Liking the rudder mount also. Keep up the good job.
    Last edited by BakedMopar; 04-07-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks......Tiqueman I will get you some after work......(only god knows when that'll be)

From running twin nitro boats in the old days I will say this about stingers and struts. strut setups end up sticking out more than a stinger does there for when running struts you have to run your rudder back more or it will not turn that good.
    You also have to run the prop a bit hirger. The boat will handel a bit better becouse you just made it longer, but you need to get the rudder back more. tth from the pics you put up your rudder would work nice with stingers but I think it needs to be longer. ( from what I can see in the picss) . Its allways better to make changes now than later. Just my 2 cents and some thing for all you guys making twins now to think about lol ( on a boat that size you should be about 2" to 3" from the back of the prop to the front of the rudder. I would be looking for 2 1/2 to 3.) But like I said before some one shoots me it's just my 2 cents lol
    old Guy
    Last edited by old guy; 04-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.

huh? Not following the intent of that last post...

Rumdog in post 78 I was explaining how you should have your rudder about 2 to 3" behind the prop. with struts you have to move the rudder back more because the props are farther back look at the pics tth has of his set up and look at the one in post #18 and see the dif with twins you have to have your rudder back and if you use struts you have to move every thing back more.I hope this helped if not phone me I type with one finger lol
    Old Guy

just my 2c for what its worth, the general rule of thumb for length of rudder/strut
    is the front of the prop- transom should be around 10%.
    now the closer a prop is to the hull the more chance of it porpoising
    but the further back more chance of torque roll.
    by going 10% its a compromise between the 2
    but being a twin torque roll doesnt really apply so taking the props further back wont hurt but this may affect steering also.
    the whole front of ruder being in line with front of prop i dont believe
    i have built hulls (cats& monos) that way and with props closer to transom and personally found no diffrence.my current cat has the prop around 1 1/2 behind the leading rudder edge.
    with twins i dont have experience and may need to be that way.

with twins i dont have experience and may need to be that way. yes it does trust me.
    OK I'm going to let the cat out of the bag lol I was saving this for my Maritimo that is on it's way. If you want your twin to turn then get rid of that sh$tty radio and get a good one then program it to do this ( it's called mixxing) when you give it right rudder the radio also slows down the right motor so the left engine pushess the bout around the corner. Do not ask me how to do this becouse I can't even program my M-8 I got my friend to do it on my twin nitro cat.lol

the whole front of ruder being in line with front of prop i dont believe. It does not have to be in line look at all the boats out there that have it offset. In a single motor mono or cat I would put it line though.
    Just more of my 2 cents and this is tth thread so that's all on this, sorry tth
    Old Guy

No issues here all the comments and inquiries are welcome........

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

the whole front of ruder being in line with front of prop i dont believe. It does not have to be in line look at all the boats out there that have it offset. In a single motor mono or cat I would put it line though.
    Just more of my 2 cents and this is tth thread so that's all on this, sorry tth
    Old Guy
    what i was referring to was nothing to do with inline/offset rudders
    and on that subject inline strut/rudders on single motor setups have issues

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    what i was referring to was nothing to do with inline/offset rudders
    and on that subject inline strut/rudders on single motor setups have issues
    I miss under stoot what you where saying there.

no problem buddy
    there is a thread on here at the moment about the written word causing confusion
    thing is some times two different views or setups can be correct,there is so many variables with boat setups and also what the person wants from there setup.

I guess all I can do is try it and get results. If it dosen't work for one who's to say it wouldn't work for me???

I can not comment on the twin builds you guys are doing with these but with a single drive, well, first run was not good. It spent more time riding its side then on the bottom. A little choppy water surface but I can not see this lasting long on my shelf. Just so narrow. Anyway I spent even more time in the row-boat then driving the RC. This was running 4S2P, ul-1 motor, 642 prop. I may raise the strut to air things out a bit more but even as a saw boat I just dont see it happening. I would say with a Feigao 9XL and 4S2P and a 440 prop this could be a good sport boat but beam should be added if any more is to be expected. It has it's place and function but not for me.

Thanks for the input bro.......

Any idea why its ridin' sideways? Torque maybe from the motor?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast