Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Skunkworks 32" Catamaran

Default New Skunkworks 32" Catamaran

Merry Christmas from my wife to me!!!! She suggested that I theme this build after the two drivers that lost their lives on the Victory 1 may they rest in peace. This is the new Skunkworks 32" Cat. I was fortunate enough to purchase the very first one produced. This hull is very rigid, no need for reinforcement. Just a hair over 2.4 lbs on the scale. I would like to thank Scotty for the hull and may he have much success with this new catamaran. It is a beauty. I have included a few key angles that many of you were wanting.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Twins?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Either twin Neu 1509 2y's on 4s or Single Neu 1527 1.5D on 6s.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

You are a lucky guy! The hull looks even better than the pictures Scotty had posted. I'm hoping that the rest of the hulls aren't far behind if he sold you the original!

Better give that wife of yours something nice! You have a good one that is for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    Either twin Neu 1509 2y's on 4s or Single Neu 1527 1.5D on 6s.

A 1527 in that hull will have more then 1 hp (750 watts) unusable power. You dont need that much however the reason you might want to put that motor in is because you already own the motor. Even a 1521 has more power then necessary and will turn enough prop to make that hull flighty. Setup right a 1521 will get you to speeds where blow overs are regular. Cat's trap too much air. If 70 to 80 is your goal invest in a rescue boat.

John

Nice hull & looks solid. It's a shame it was a gift. I'd kinda like to know what it set her back.

John I do also have a couple 1521's. I am leaning towards a twin setup with the 1509's. Only thing is the sponson transom will only accept very limited height stingers. I doubt even MHZ- MTC drives would even work?

Thanks SJFE nice to see you back around.

Very nice hull, looks to be same material than HOTR cat'.
    I love the top hatch, can you give me the size of the top hatch? Thanks

Not even close, the Skunk Cat is much nicer. This hull is built very rigid. It is nice and light but very stiff. I am at work right now but I'll pull some dim's for the hatch later.

is it painted? i cant seem to see the connecting line between the two parts of the hull

Put a Neu 1518/1.5D/K (2200kv) in it on 4s and it will haul @ss. That's the setup i'm looking at if i can get my hands on one.

Heath

I just got word that I will be getting one shipped very soon - I can't wait to get it. I was thinking of twins as well, Aveox 36/30/1.5 and SV stingers. Tracy do you think these stingers will fit?
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Chuck I'll check tonight to see if the SV stingers will fit. Contemplating the Fine Design stingers also. I have a purple one, just have to see if it will fit the transoms. Fella's this boat is awsome. Best quality hull I have seen in a good while.

Thanks Tracy - I am waiting to hear what you find out.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Wow I can't wait to get mines. Hulls look good and looks like it will be worth the wait.

It looks like the SV stingers will work. The bottom of the stinger is in line with the bottom of the sponson, with the stinger bracket all the way to the top of the overhang it just barely fits.

What are the dimensions? Is it wider then the HOTR cat?
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    It looks like the SV stingers will work. The bottom of the stinger is in line with the bottom of the sponson, with the stinger bracket all the way to the top of the overhang it just barely fits.

Great news - thanks for checking Tracy.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Oh happy day. Just found out that my hull is getting shipped next week! Looks like I'll have something to do when I take my vacation after X-mas.
    Since the hulls are being shipped ready for paint, should I paint first then mount everything so i don't screw up the primer coat?
    Mines going to be a bit of a budget build. I have a 8XL, Seaking 180 speed control, .078 wire drive, and OSE cat strut and rudder. I need to order some of the 2S 40C Lipos from Hobby King to power it. Not sure on props yet, but I'll get to that later.

A couple of updated pictures. Her new throne as Queen of the fleet. Last night my wife and I laid in some Carbon Fiber from sponson to sponson, it came out nice if I do say so myself.I have decided to go with twin Neu 1509/2y's, Speedmaster Mono Round Bottom Struts, Speedmaster 21 Rudder,CC Hydra 120s. Also included is a pic of the sponson ride surface to see that they are symmetrical.

Tracy is the rudder going to be offset from center? I have been looking for something like this but not as costly.

http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details....1&store=mhzusa
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

It will not be offset from center. I have a good friend who owns a cnc shop. I will be getting him to fab a triangle style bracket that will use the speedmaster 21 rudder that Steven sells. I really don't like the looks of an offset rudder bracket on a twin build.......thats just me tho I'm just anal like that. The rudder has a swivel point that is pretty universal, I have one on my DF33 mono that I'm going to bring him so he can use it as a starting point. Yesterday I bought the aluminum servo arm that I will be using for the rudder also, It's made by Hangar 9.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I have been looking for something like this but not as costly.
    Maybe I could twist his arm and get another one made in trade for some prop work? LMK

Should look something like this but with a vertical flat and the holes to line up with the rudder attachment on the rudder itself. When the rudder is taken off of the standoff bracket it still has some type of mounting support on the swivel.

Any chance he can make 2 ... 1 for me. I am willing to pay as long as it costs less than the 1 at MHZ

Edit: sounds good to me ... we have got to stop this posting at the same time stuff (maybe we can work out a schedule LOL).
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Sounds good I'll keep in touch.

Chuck I also wanted to mention to you that my rudder bracket is going to be fabricated to different specs than what you will need. I am using speedmaster 21 mono struts for maximum adjustibility. One will be mounted on each side directly below each turbine cutout. I will need a longer extension for my rudder leading edge to be behind my prop's trailing edge. I'll take some measurements for the SV stingers for you.

Thanks Tracy - I really appreciate what you are doing for me.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Very nice looking hull, like the carbon fiber work. Keep us posted on the build.

Ken
    DF-29,Phil Thomas Super Sport 45, SV27, Xzess 2 Evo, HOTR 32" Cat

Quote Originally Posted by ksm2001 View Post
    Very nice looking hull, like the carbon fiber work. Keep us posted on the build.

Ken
    Thanks Ken, it didnt come out as good as I would have liked but hey who's perfect. I have done some other hulls that came out better but this time I heated the epoxy to thin it out some, but that shortened the setting period.

Long story short, the epoxy set alot faster than I expected.

Here is another boat (Drifter S) that I did. That one came out very nice!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast