Thread: Scratch Built Hydro

Default Scratch Built Hydro

Here is my scratch built hydro that has been set up for nitro. I stripped it clean of mostly all the guts, so to speak. It was painted by Scott Takes. Who is that you ask? Well Scott and his crew have been around for a bit. I believe some Custom paint jobs on Jesse James bikes might trigger a reaction. If not, you can see their work on Scotts website...http://www.undergroundartstudios.com/content/... Scott owns and operates Underground Art Studios in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. If you look at their work, you can see why they are in business, and their work means business. Back to the Thread, I am going to redo this hull... No,No,No, not the paint job! The power plant. My question is.....Should I go Brushless? I know, I know, Most of you would say yes. But keep in mind that this hull is made of wood. Am I going to take this to NAMBA or IMPBA comps. NO, I'm a fun floater kind of guy. So with that said, I'm going to listen to all of you and your suggestions. Let me know what you would do as far as power plants, or just let me know what you would do with this hull. Have at it and dont be shy! I will keep you posted on the power plant installation as my time permits. Here are some pics to get you started..........

? WHAT RULES?

WOW! I have never been this overwhelmed with suggestions and advice before. Keep it coming guys! Lol
    ? WHAT RULES?

Great paint job,and nice looking hull
    I would defo go brushless,im new this set up up myself and just started using brushless,but defo worth a look

Yeah, I need to customize the hatch so it is sealed. But I want to make it removable so I can switch it to nitro when needed. Also, need to make a removable motor mount for the brushless motor.
    ? WHAT RULES?

Cool ill keep an eye on this build and see how you progress

I would propose the Proboat BJ motor and even speedo in this. You can cruise mid 40s on 4S and the right prop. Cheap and quality.... and fast? ummm, right.

Killer paint scheme - ain't seen flames that good since last camp fire!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    I would propose the Proboat BJ motor and even speedo in this. You can cruise mid 40s on 4S and the right prop. Cheap and quality.... and fast? ummm, right.

Killer paint scheme - ain't seen flames that good since last camp fire!
    Lol. The cost of the paint job would light a wallet on fire! I have a Feigao 5XL competiton wind lying around I could use. If I go with that and a 180A esc on 5s, what kind of speeds you think I will get?
    ? WHAT RULES?

Its all about set up. I guess the way to go about it would be the other way around: "what speeds are you after?" and then you are sporting? or wanna race?
    Assuming your 5XL is 3300 ish KV, you wouldn't wanna go more than 2S (unless you wanna see it tear itself apart. with a prop any bigger than 40 mm you will probably be in the super hi amp range. Its up to you, but I would put a lot milder set up in there, 2000KV or lower and on 4-5S lipo and a 40-42 mm prop.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

So lets say an 8XL, 180A esc, x440 prop on 5s? That would put it in the mid 40's? I would like to see mid 50's. Is that possible?
    ? WHAT RULES?

My 1/12th scale Oh Boy! Oberto scratch built did 50 w/ 8XL, 4S and X640. You can definitely get into the 50s - I still wouldn't subject an 8XL to that many volts (I know I said that earlier, maybe a 9XL) - unless you are going SAW, but then... you are risking your beautiful paint job.

Its not all about rpms, when you have lower KV motors, you start having more torque and lower amps, plus you are not as hard on your electronics.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

So I would be playing it safe with a 9XL or 10XL on 4s? As far as the 5XL, I ran her on 3s with a 120A esc. She got warm but not too bad.
    ? WHAT RULES?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous_Toys View Post
    So I would be playing it safe with a 9XL or 10XL on 4s?
    I would say so. You shouldn't be pulling more than 60-80 amps continuous unless you go with a big prop. I think you would be happy with a 9XL on 4S and an X640 or X642 prop. Make sure you have a big skid fin and your rudder hasn't any slop.

I'm ready for the show...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Cool

The 5XL is a SAW-only motor on 4S. I ran one in my P and Q record-holding cats on 12 NiMH cells years ago, and three passes was all she'd take even with a Schulze ESC. On 3S maybe...but a 9XL or 10XL is a far better choice for a sport boater.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I've also got a Rigger project in the works too. It's 33" and all fiberglass. I would like to get this to hit the High 60's. What would you suggest for a powerplant in it?

? WHAT RULES?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The 5XL is a SAW-only motor on 4S. I ran one in my P and Q record-holding cats on 12 NiMH cells years ago, and three passes was all she'd take even with a Schulze ESC. On 3S maybe...but a 9XL or 10XL is a far better choice for a sport boater.

I am gonna go with Jesse advice on the 9XL on 4s
    ? WHAT RULES?