Thread: Cheap wheel radio!!

Default Cheap wheel radio!!

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...dProduct=10608

$24.95.

I can say the 6ch version works great and has great range in a friends plane, receivers are about $12
    Matt.
    FE, Nitro and Gas racing in Auckland
    www.rcboats.co.nz

That looks worth it to me. I am still stuck in the stone age with traxxas AM gear. But hey, its cheap and ive never had a single problem. On my JR XS3 thats a different story.

We tested that radio when it was being developed. TERRIBLE! Best of luck with it.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Default Hay man

Love you new ECO boat!

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    We tested that radio when it was being developed. TERRIBLE! Best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Have you tested the final product ?

When you say terrible can you please state some reasons, Range, Glitching, or Terrible Color ?

Cheeers
    Matt.
    www.rcboats.co.nz

that bad Salir???...How?...maybe that explains the price

First receiver they sent us was DOA. Second receiver had about 40 feet of range. Location of the trims is inconvenient. We also tested their computer radio, 3 ch. First module and receiver were DOA. When we got a receiver that worked, the trims on the transmitter didn't work. In my opinion it's CRAP. We were hoping to sell them but we try to only sell quality. These radios are a long way from qualifying. The price should tell you something!? At some point, you DO get what you pay for! If you insist on cheaper, cheaper, cheaper, something has to be compromised to reach your desired price point. Personally, it's not worth risking a nice boat to save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by crabstick View Post
    Have you tested the final product ?

When you say terrible can you please state some reasons, Range, Glitching, or Terrible Color ?

Cheeers
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I use a 4ch set from this supplier in my tow boat. I needed the 2.4g as the old AM set would glitch at over 100'
    I have had zero drama with the HK 2.4g system and will grab one of these 2.4 Wheel sets next time I am buying from there........which may be soon given the speed that I am killing stuff.

Matt, if you know anyone who has one of these 2.4 wheel sets and has used it then let us or even me know.

I'll play with one.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

Next order I plan to get one also, I like to make my own conclusions, who knows, the final version might be ok, HK take a lot of abuse of their forum if there are faults with anything..
    Matt.
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Lads, that price is off the wall.

Quality?

I would not ever consider in buying it and putting an expensive boat at risk of failure

Douggie

Default Good cheap boat option

While I agree that I would not put one in an expensive boat, it also seems odd to put a $100 to $300 radio in a $100 boat for an entry level person.

aquacraft and proboat sell entry level boats in the $80 to $150 range all the time that include a radio. I can't beleive they invest more than about $10-$15 in the whole radio/rc/sc system

For my kids, i am building boats that minus batteries and radio, I have $150 or less into. kinda hard to justify an expensive radio for a boat to see if they are interested. If you are buying one radio for yourself, can program it for multiple boats, and you are planning on staying in the hobby or growing in the hobby, spend the $$$ and get a nice radio that will last.

But when you are building small boats like micro hydros and mini-v's, a cheap radio is great when you are setting up 3 or 4 boats for your kids and friends.

It is nice to have the option of a cheap radio for basic builds. Putting one in a 40+mph 32" cat would seem to be a reckless liability to me. Stock Mini-v's are not know for thier ability to damage other stuff or even people if you loose control.

I think I will end up trying one also.

Brian

i have a couple of small play boat projects that I would use it for. By no means would I put it in my gas boats or FE race boats at this stage (stick to my futaba faast), maybe will use it for n2 though after a bit of testing.
    Matt.
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by befu View Post
    While I agree that I would not put one in an expensive boat, it also seems odd to put a $100 to $300 radio in a $100 boat for an entry level person.

aquacraft and proboat sell entry level boats in the $80 to $150 range all the time that include a radio. I can't beleive they invest more than about $10-$15 in the whole radio/rc/sc system

It
    I think I will end up trying one also.

Brian
    Those radios are cheap AM format. You get for what you pay for.

Douggie

Default yep, am

Been running, racing, and more running of boats for about 22 years. Majority of my radios have been "cheap AM" radios. Only back then they were not cheap. OK, not as cheap as the proboat 27mhz ones that come with the mini-v's!!! Like I said, those are really cheap, but they work fine for a 14" slow mono.

I am not going to put a $100 or higher radio in a boat that is worth about $50!

You do get what you pay for, I agree, but you also have to look at the application.

Of course, I put a $25 red dot sight on my $6000 Ruger AC556 machinegun when I have the 22LR kit in it for playing, but have a $400 Eotech on my $1000 X15 bushmaster, which is a more serious gun when shooting 5.56.

It all depends on your application.

Brian

good point, i have a 80$ rc surfer that is just a muck around thing, I will probably use that as the test bed for this wheel radio
    Matt.
    www.rcboats.co.nz

Try this:

http://www.himodel.com/radios/2.4Ghz..._Set_N-4Q.html

I own the Venom FM version of this radio. Ten model memory and true 3rd channel brake mixing as well.
    I don't own one .... yet....

Hope to soon.

Same great features as Venoms Radio... D/L Manual and see for yourself!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Well, I just ordered one for one new project... Being a complete novice at driving, I cannot tell the difference, really. I have some Futaba Attack (both stick and pistol), a DX5 and this cheap one:
    http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...YSTAL_195.html
    The only thing I could actually consider bad about it is the dip switches for channel reverse (under the batteries).
    Why did I ordered the HK one? My son said it has cool colors...

Yes I know I am a thread trawler and have dragged up this oldish one.
    Has anyone got one of these and have a bit of a review on it.

I am keen to re-radio the fleet this winter, I currently have 40FM that works nearly flawlessly but new DC RX's cost a lot more than the RX's for this set.
    In fact I can get a Tx+Rx in this 2.4 for less than another DCFM rx.
    Given that Rx's for the 2.4 run under $10 I can see each of my fleet having their own Rx.

The small antenna is a bonus.

You can convert your FM to 2.4gig with a $30 kit at HK.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    You can convert your FM to 2.4gig with a $30 kit at HK.
    As a bit of techno noddy, where does that put me ??
    Do I get to use the 2.4G Rx units from HK ??

I am not a real fan of conversions, I prefer to replace out of date components with new.
    I just take longer than most.

Simon, this is the module:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...RX_%28DSSS%29_
    There's a few conversions done on RCG (dock talk). This unit also has a switch to allow you to use the Tx in both fm and 2.4 modes.
    I just bought these two and they are ok...
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...x_%28Mode_2%29
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_

As I mentioned a lot earlier I have used the 2.4 Stick set from HK with perfection in the recovery vessel.
    I am now after a bit of confidence to go with the wheel unit in the faster hulls.

I guess the best way to go is grab one and see what it does in the least loved hull with the oldest pack and speedie etc, if it hits the wall at the end of the Quarry I cry, but not a lot.

Now to gather a few "RC coins" together and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by crabstick View Post

$24.95.

I can say the 6ch version works great and has great range in a friends plane, receivers are about $12
    Thank God for hobbycity i brought some of their Turnigy AA LSD 2200mah Low Self Discharge AA and they are great

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...dProduct=10456

When someone gets these back in stock I am getting one for the Stampede. Does it have BEC? I do not see it list anywhere in the specs.

This is the conversion kit. It comes with an Rx. It is the Fast system: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9770

One guy on rc groups converted an old Kyosho single stick to 2.4Gig using this kit. If it works for planes, I'm sold on it working for boats. It uses the 2 antenna method???
    Nortavlag Bulc

As Matt (the OP) posted

I have been trying one of these in my fleet and am so far well impressed.
    I have wooden hulls so am able to keep the antenna inside the hull and get all the range I need, really how far away can you see your boat?? For me it is about 100m or 330ft and for that range this radio set works fine.

I trialed it alongside my rescue boat that has the 4-6ch version in the same brand and there was not even a hint of cross channel interference that was common with FM and especially AM sets.

I have run my mid size rigger that pulls about 80kmh or low 50mph with this radio and have no worries at all as far as control goes.

It is different ergonimically from the Hitec FM set that I have retired and lacks the thumbwheel adjust for on the run steering throw changes. Not a big drama for me as this whole set is half the price of a new DC Rx for my FM Hitec.

I will give this set 4 stars out of 5
    one star off for lack of steering thow adjustment from the thumb

Other than that it is a great radio and as I now have 3 more Rx's I will be able to put boats in the water quicker and with more confidence.

A winner for me !!