Thread: 2010 IMPBA International Regatta

Default 2010 IMPBA International Regatta

I just read on the International Waters web site that the race flyer for the 2010 IMPBA International Regatta has been posted. I took a peak at it to see what classes were available even though I knew there would be no FE classes available. It turns out I was wrong!!! They have graced us with electrics in three classes. RTR, Novice and the night race. They will be allowing the ever popular "small electric's" class to run within these heats. Someone want to explain to me what a small electric is?

I don't know if you have to be a IW member to see the flyer, but here it is. For some reason, it's not posted on the Performance Model Boat Club site yet.
    http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?...ttach_id=16212
    Last edited by Chilli; 12-01-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Hang tough Mike!!
    There is a big FE only race in our future!
    Maybe some 1/3 and 1/4 oval trials as well!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

An all electric race makes more sense!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

All this D12 stuff has me wound up tighter than a drum Doug. LOL! I need to go down to the pond and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    All this D12 stuff has me wound up tighter than a drum Doug. LOL! I need to go down to the pond and relax.
    Been there done that, got a D-13 jacket. LOL

You'll forget all about it when you and the boys are racing in 2010!

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I just read on the International Waters web site that the race flyer for the 2010 IMPBA International Regatta has been posted. I took a peak at it to see what classes were available even though I knew there would be no FE classes available. It turns out I was wrong!!! They have graced us with electrics in three classes. RTR, Novice and the night race. They will be allowing the ever popular "small electric's" class to run within these heats. Someone want to explain to me what a small electric is?

I don't know if you have to be a IW member to see the flyer, but here it is. For some reason, it's not posted on the Performance Model Boat Club site yet.
    http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?...ttach_id=16212

This is just another reason to say to the current organizations and to start a stricktly FE organization.

This is already a EIGHT day race, I wonder how many racers could (would) make the trip if the FE classes were offered??
    The FE world is wide open, who's gonna step up to the plate and put on the show??

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I ask, what does the host club of the IMPBA Internat’s owe the electric community? Why is there an expectation the IMPBA needs to add FE classes to their already historic and storied tradition of the International Regatta?

I typed this earlier in response to another discussion on the topic... I didn’t feel like retyping the, essentially, the same thing…

One thing you need to remember about the IMPBA Nat’s, it’s a structured event (written into the IMPBA rule book) that is broken up into two classifications: US-1 classes and Special Events. The US-1 classes take precedence over the Special Events classes. If there is a delay of any type that could jeopardize the event, the Specialty Events are the first to be axed.

Traditionally, they have open water Friday and Saturday. Heat racing will start on Sunday, just as they have it this year. US-1 classes will be run first. At the conclusion of heat racing they will then begin time trials. The top five finishers of heat racing have an opportunity to run SAW and Timed ovals. Finally, at the completion of time trials (towards the end of the week, like last year) they will begin the Special Classes. Keep in mind they already have several (nitro) Special Classes that have traditionally run for many years. Any electric specific class they run would be in addition to the existing classes. Not only are the E classes second fiddle to the US-1 classes, they will be at the lowest point on the Special Class list too. Essentially, the E classes become a 3rd rate citizen in the world of boats.

The 2010 event seems to be scheduled a little different. It looks as if they will be sprinkling in the Special Classes throughout the week of heat racing, leaving the SAW time trials for the final day.

Why they didn’t adopt the same E classes as last year, I don’t know. I could make some guesses; participation could be one or scheduling may have been too tight.

Another point, at last years event participants were way down due to the original host club backing out. They could be expecting enough entrants for their typical class schedule, leaving no time for additional E powered events…

Later
    Ball

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    I ask, what does the host club of the IMPBA Internat’s owe the electric community? Why is there an expectation the IMPBA needs to add FE classes to their already historic and storied tradition of the International Regatta?

Ball

Wow, ,,,,let us all bow to the great overlords that the current governing boating organizations think they are. Nice attitude.

Even more of a reason to start our own FE Organization and let the smelly/ noisy guys do the same thing over and over and over and over and over ...............

I nominate Steve V as the head of the organization! Then we can do our own thing and maybe invite the smelly/ noisy guys for some "specialty classes" to run at our events(if time permits of course).

I am not sure I understand the ill feelings for this event and the organization. There was an opportunity to race at last year’s IMPBA Nats event (2009). I raced 2 different E boats. This year they choose to not have additional Special Classes than the norm, and now individuals want to bad mouth the host club and the IMPBA…

NAMBA has a primer E event every year; as a matter of fact it was in Michigan. Why didn't you guys complaining come to that one?

I am confused?!?!?!

No hostility intended towards any host club, but lets be honest, CURRENTLY, both of the main organizations are still in the dark ages with respect to accepting and coming up with some class rules work. They both still refer to brushed motors and round cells!!!, and lean heavily on individual clubs to govern their own classes/ rules.

I understand that there has been an appointmtent of a FE guru, so maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

It just seems to many that the organizations are being almost forced to write some slappy happy rules to accomodate FE. Perhaps they should stay fuel related clubs and the FE community do it ourselves. I was at several local events in 2008 (as a spectator) where they attempted to run mixed classes and there was much resentment from the fuel guys......mainly because they were not competitive anymore with the FE boats. This year I began racing with a reasonalby local club and will continue to do so but when we start reviewing the current rules we all have a good laugh. Its pathetic as to how the organizations have been dragging their feet on this topic.

As for the travelling to various events, its not always in everyones budget and time to do that.

Doby,

When I see you at an event other than up in Kitchner I might take you seriously.

Comment all you want but until you guys up north travel try to keep national comments to your selves. Money. There is 2 or 3 races within a 3 to 4 hour travel that no one attends. How many guys went to the MI. Race from your club? How many guys went to the London race from your club?

Guys that run big events deserve some slack. It's not easy.

I could be wrong but I think most of it is folks don't like to change as we are creatures of habit - we have a routine and like it that way. When things change we are out of our comfort zone and it takes some time to get used to a new way of doing things.

Edit: But the day is coming when FE rules!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Cool It's all good!!

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post

Comment all you want but until you guys up north travel try to keep national comments to your selves. Money. There is 2 or 3 races within a 3 to 4 hour travel that no one attends. How many guys went to the MI. Race from your club? How many guys went to the London race from your club?

Guys that run big events deserve some slack. It's not easy.
    Well said.
    Doby, my brother, who are the organizations, the "overlords?" "They" are the membership!!!!
    If FE wants a piece of the pie, WE have to step up, it is in OUR hands.
    If WE don't like the way things are, it is up to US to change it.
    Yes the rules still need some work, but the bottom line is this. What we have is a rule set that we can work with. LSH still being in the books as a brushed class isn't hurting anyone. Does it need to be changed? Yes, and it will be. Eventually a member will submit a proposal that will start that ball rolling. I figure that will happen when we get a good handle on what P-Spec power is.
    Until the rules are tweaked, what we have IS WORKING!!!!!

Example:
    Three years ago the only organized FE racing that was going on in D-13 was the Valdosta SAWs.
    Now there are five races a year that offer FE classes, this doesn't include the Charleston races or the SAWs.
    How did this happen??
    A small group of FE sport boaters aproached the Atlanta Model Boaters and were given the opportunity to participate in the Grand Prix series.
    In 07 we raced two classes, LSH and P-Mono. That has grown to four classes, and if we get them built (P-Spec Hydros) it will be five next year.
    Having said all that, what is keeping us from holding a BIG FE only race? We are!!!
    We are now VERY involved with the district and are getting the education, and support required to pull off a big race successfully. Like Howard said, it is a lot of work!!
    The bottom line is, if you want it, get involved and make it happen!!
    This is exactly what Mike Chirillo (Naughtiboyz) and the guys are doing in D-12, and I applaud their efforts.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Howard,

So I'm not intitled to an opinion as due to numerous reasons, travelling was not within my means and schedules last year Sorry, but comments need to come from everyone and be traken into account....I give you guys all the credit you deserve because you are able to travel to some of the farther events, but don't ever give me that "we don't travel so our opinions don't count" crap.....Consider yuorself fortunate that you have the means and time.

Smock;

I still luv ya...don't ever think differently...The "membership" is probably heavily weighed on the fuel side of the equation, is it not??

No arguement that several people are trying their best to get things sorted out.

Excsue me, but you guys sound thirsty,, I"ll go flush some toilets now.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Smock

I still luv ya...don't ever think differently...The "membership" is probably heavily weighed on the fuel side of the equation, is it not??

No arguement that several people are trying their best to get things sorted out.

Excsue me, but you guys sound thirsty,, I"ll go flush some toilets now.
    Don't do it man, we're good for now!!

Sure the IC guys out number the FE guys, but after sitting on the board for a bit I can tell you, the board wants to see FE grow. That's why I say, it's up to us to get racers to the pond ect.
    Another thing, I sure can't see the IC membership voting on FE issues, their plates are FULL trying to fine tune their own classes,engines, ect.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

You know, I came home from work tired and cranky late last night. Didn’t mean to start mayhem on the board. One thing I have learned over the past year is that a lack of knowledge by our IC counterparts can be misinterpreted as disrespect by some of us in the FE community. I also learned the best medicine to educate a person was to use humor and to laugh it off. Works like a charm. My only beef with the race flyer was calling Fast Electrics or Electric RTR's "small electrics". Surely it was due to lack of knowledge and not disrespect. But like I said, I was tired last night and unfortunately still have a little bit of that FE chip on my shoulder.

As for Performance Model Boat Club, I was exhausted after two and a half days when my club hosted a weekend district race. I couldn’t imagine doing it for a week and a half. Kudos to the PMBC who from what I read, stepped up to the plate this past summer and pulled the Internats from out of toilet by hosting it at the last minute. That takes a committed group of club members working hard while burning up personal vacation time. The only thing the host club of the Internats owe the FE community is the same opportunity as any other dues paying IMPBA member. But it's not going to get offered up on a silver platter and it shouldnt be, with a already crowded schedule and the nitro guys feeling the squeeze from the growing popularity of the gas classes.

I don't think one can argue that the IMPBA can be slow to change. Today I learned that the next Internats will be the first time gas classes will included in the US1 format. Considering the popularity of gas boats, I was surprised to hear that. But this is how I (with a little guidance) impacted the IMPBA in one year. D12 has gone from ZERO FE’s members in the entire district to probably two classes running next year. With three or four new members running FE’s and possibly an additional few jumping ship from the nitro ranks. How did I accomplish this? All I did was join a club and showed them that I was just as serious about the hobby as they were. The rest was just having fun and meeting a great bunch of guys. The doors of the IMPBA won’t open themselves, but I’ve knocked on a few this past year and they have all opened without one door getting slammed in my face. I think it’s an exciting time to be a FE boater in the IMPBA with lots of changes on the horizon.

As far as the attending a regional or national event, I think the Internats may be too hard core for my blood. But I wouldn’t mind running my gas and FE boats in let’s say……... Charleston, SC at the Fall Nats if they ever decide to include FE classes. I don’t care about trophies, jackets or records. Just would be nice to meet some of you guys, talk a little smack, run some boats and have a beer when it’s all over. That’s what it’s all about!!!!
    Last edited by Chilli; 12-02-2009 at 11:38 PM.

I will cut some slack. The economy sucks. I have cut my travel back greatly. I am fortunate that I still can go to some races. John, I used to see you at races but your club members don't support anything but local racing. Even when a race is in London. (Generalizing here).

I just get frustrated at the poor attendance even at 1 day races in MI. or London.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    I will cut some slack. The economy sucks. I have cut my travel back greatly. I am fortunate that I still can go to some races. John, I used to see you at races but your club members don't support anything but local racing. Even when a race is in London. (Generalizing here).

I just get frustrated at the poor attendance even at 1 day races in MI. or London.
    I wonder if its because some people think they can't compete with the people that race/travel often, run high dollar equipment etc.

Well I can personally tell you guys that some people are not as fast as they claim to be, and its alot easier than it sounds. I and 3 other club members went to the Mich. Nationals, our first Nationals, we thought by what people CLAIM there speeds are we were going to get left in the roostertails as NONE of our boats ever reached those CLAIMED speeds here, as it turns we were just as fast and in some cases FASTER then others.

I finished 3rd p-sport hydro overall and 1st in 1/10 scale hydro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    I wonder if its because some people think they can't compete with the people that race/travel often, run high dollar equipment etc.

Well I can personally tell you guys that some people are not as fast as they claim to be, and its alot easier than it sounds. I and 3 other club members went to the Mich. Nationals, our first Nationals, we thought by what people CLAIM there speeds are we were going to get left in the roostertails as NONE of our boats ever reached those CLAIMED speeds here, as it turns we were just as fast and in some cases FASTER then others.

I finished 3rd p-sport hydro overall and 1st in 1/10 scale hydro.
    This would be a good thing right?

What's "small electrics"?

What's "small electrics"?

N1 Class!

Its relative

All of them!
    and or
    None of them!

Grim

Hi Fellas,
    N-1 is gone in the IMPBA, and the records have been archived. There is a proposal out for a one year trial to bring something very similiar back FOR RECORDS ONLY. (Check the Sept. Roostertail if you're interested.)
    The example given for "small electrics" was the SV27.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169