Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 70 mph DF 33

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    have you considered running 5s2p and putting the packs alongside the motor? The bit of extra weight may keep it planted plus double the c rating and capacity!
    It would be worth a try for sure. I often see Jay Turner tell people to add some weight to their boats to keep them on the water. Another pack would be useful weight. I see Andy also agrees with your comments.
    Several boats in various stages of destruction

hey paddy ffrb made some hatchs for the meanmachines
    maybe he can do a hatch for you with out the convexed bits
    and make them stronger iam fairly sure he can do them in carbon fibre as well
    mite be worth a pm

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie-crawl View Post
    mite be worth a pm
    Thanks for that ozzie. I will drop him a word or three later and see what he says. The damage is fixed but unpainted. I had to put a few St Kilda stickers on it. That will make it go faster anyway.
    A hatch without all the little girl frills would be better.

To any of you mono gurus...
    My DF 33 has always tracked to the right which make me use quite a bit of left rudder while traveling in a straight line. I was looking at it this morning and at full noise there is only 1 1/4 inches or about 30 mm of rudder in the water if the boat is sitting up straight. This causes the boat to veer off to the left when I release the throttle and the rudder sinks back into the water.
    My question is should I use a longer rudder. I have come to the point where I am willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for a boat that is easier to steer in a straight line. Maybe some of you guys can chime in with how much rudder you have in the water at WOT. Also your suggested rudders for the DF 33

I used the Speedmaster .21 Rudder cut to .5" under the water intake. Very stable.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    I used the Speedmaster .21 Rudder cut to .5" under the water intake. Very stable.
    Tracy,
    Thanks for that. I will give that a try. I am slowly learning how to tame this beast. I found more weight helps keep it on the water so I am going to go 5s2p. I think with more rudder in the water and more weight it might lose a little speed but be easier to control.
    Even though this boat is doing 70+ mph I am a newbie to monos and so have a lot to learn.
    Paddy

Hey Paddy

Cant believe your phone takes that video footage, AMAZING!!

If you were to run a cooling jacket on the motor and wanted to keep her out there for a while, how long do you guess your run time would be, running these M645 props?

And what prop do you suppose would give you 60mph with extended run times?

Thanks if ya can help
    Last edited by Xcesive8; 12-08-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling era

Quote Originally Posted by Xcesive8 View Post
    Hey Paddy

Cant believe your phone takes that video footage, AMAZING!!

If you were to run a cooling jacket on the motor and wanted to keep her out there for a while, how long do you guess your run time would be, running these M645 props?

And what prop do you suppose would give you 60mph with extended run times?

Thanks if ya can help
    Ryan I have not had this boat long and I am learning new things every time out with it. Yesterday I ran it with a 4s battery as a passenger sitting beside the 5s and the boat was much more stable in chop and stopped leaving the water as it did in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6WGGaxEoj4

I did lose 8 mph because of the extra weight but if I go 5s2p then I should get some of that speed back again and increase run time by quite a lot. I will say I do not think this is a 1515 1.5y motor but probably a 1515 1y motor that has been labeled wrong. It is just too fast for a 1.5y motor on 5s. Run time on 5s1p is about 90 seconds on that M645 if the motor was cooled. I am going to cool the motor as the boat needs more weight and it may as well be useful weight that I add. I think it would do 60 on an X640 prop and if you want me to try it I will as I am waiting on a longer rudder so there is not much fast testing I can do until that gets here.
    I hope that helps.
    Paddy

Listen to what I suggested you Tasmanian devil. The origin of that remedy came from Doug Smock, who knows a bit about mono setups. Send him a pm as he knows his stuff.

Douggie

Yes im in the same boat, just plotten along soaking up all the experiance this forum and memebers have to offer.

I was bored yesterday on my day off, so i decided to put the Fieago 580l 6turn
    in my 25" prince mono ( nearly same as your hull but smaller )
    as ive taken it out of my cat because im going to try one of these 1515 1.5ys in the cat.
    Anyway, first off amazing it fit, i thought it would be interesting as everyone goes light and powerful motors in these little hulls, and therefore i thought id like to see how it goes with alot of weight in her but still torque to cover that area.
    It was a totally different boat, hitting around the same speed as when i have my ammo2300kv in it.
    Obviously the prop would be so far out, as all i did was pull the prather 220 off the cat, but man, turning was unbelivable, it just lent over tucked its self in and whoooshh. Good fun for sure playing around with weight in these boats.

Woops got side tracked there ^

The reason i ask is because im working on Scott ( Ozziecrawl ) to sell me his 32'' Storm. ( C'MON SCOTT, YOU KNOW YA WANA SELL IT TO ME!!
    And was thinking that i mite throw this Neu 1515 1.5y in it to see how she goes running 6s. 2 x3s 5000 40c in series.
    But i want it to have a little run time, say 3 mins..
    Just wondering what sorta prop ill need to achieve decent speed, but still the above run time?

Cheers for your reply, was very helpful
    Ryan
    Last edited by Xcesive8; 12-08-2009 at 08:41 AM.

mite be worth a pm
    He does i saw the proto type last Sunday very cool.

Heath

mite be worth a pm
    Rob is making me two 5 mph faster hatch covers ozzie. He contacted me several days ago about it. They will be done up to undercoat stage and without all the girlie frills.

Paddy I hope you don't mind but I used your photos to help you out with your next build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Paddy I hope you don't mind but I used your photos to help you out with your next build.
    Show us your tatas Douggie

http://www.savethetatas.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    Show us your tatas Douggie

http://www.savethetatas.com/
    He would have to lift up his kilt !!!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    He would have to lift up his kilt !!!
    Ahhh Chuck you have me in tears.

DF 33 tested with 150 grams extra weight this morning. The speed was 113 kph or 70 mph and stable but looking like it might blow over at anytime. Maybe another 50 grams would be good. I am happy to settle for 70 mph and a reasonably stable boat.
    I still have a prop walk issue I have to deal with but thanks to Douggie and some of you other guys on here I think that will not be a big issue.

hey paddy i sold my cyberstorm to ryan, he brought a 1515 1.5y for his cat but decide to put it in the mono.
    i had to change the stuffer tube and a few things to get it to fit rite and get the flex lined up perfect.
    we took it for a test run yestarday, first on 5s with a x445 just to test, then dropped in 6s
    it was blowing a gale at the pond and fairly rough, but it ran perfect
    would say speed is in the low 50s but his run time will probably be 3-4 minutes. could possably loosen it up a bit but alot of the ponds here have fairly choppy water
    i think next weekend we are going to try some diffrent props just to see what speed it will do, may have to get an andy special

hey paddy i sold my cyberstorm to ryan, he brought a 1515 1.5y for his cat but decide to put it in the mono.
    i had to change the stuffer tube and a few things to get it to fit rite and get the flex lined up perfect.
    we took it for a test run yestarday, first on 5s with a x445 just to test, then dropped in 6s
    it was blowing a gale at the pond and fairly rough, but it ran perfect
    would say speed is in the low 50s but his run time will probably be 3-4 minutes. could possably loosen it up a bit but alot of the ponds here have fairly choppy water
    i think next weekend we are going to try some diffrent props just to see what speed it will do, may have to get an andy special
    I am no expert on monos and know little about the Cyberstorm but I would think you are in the ball park with a 45 mm prop. The M545 is a good all round prop for me but Andy is the man to talk to. He uses different props for different water (calm, choppy etc). What he knows about props would fill a library.

funny you should say that 5 minutes ago i sent ryan a message saying i have a m545 to try on it.
    and the prop came from andy
    the DF cyberstorm is half inch shorter and slightly narrower than the df 33,sharper V no ride pad, they are a bit better in rougher water from what i know
    i think i read thats what brian buaas holds records with

Quote Originally Posted by Xzessperated View Post
    I am no expert on monos and know little about the Cyberstorm but I would think you are in the ball park with a 45 mm prop. The M545 is a good all round prop for me but Andy is the man to talk to. He uses different props for different water (calm, choppy etc). What he knows about props would fill a library.
    A library that holds one sheet of toilet paper!!!!

Douggie the asshole

at least we have toilet paper what do you use douggie

yep bare hand

paddy here is the rudder i use and dont have any problems at 50 mph and the hull running dry. but if you run the speed master it maybe easier to just run the speed master 21 just change the rudder if brackets the same
    here is another idea as well but not sure how it works exactly if hull isnt in contact with water,its a small wedge to help counteract prop walk

one more thought when it comes to stinger length, the shorter the stinger the less torque roll or chine walk but with more tendency to blow over, the longer the stinger less blow over but more inclined to prop walk torque steer
    this is why the general rule of thumb is 10% of hull length as its a compromise between both, if you run a speed master stinger you can adjust stinger hieght as well, i ran mine fairly close to the bottom of the hull as i was using a low power setup, if you can lift the bottom of the stinger up around 1/4 from hull bottom it will help plant the transom in the water better

at least we have toilet paper what do you use douggie

yep bare hand
    You got it and no washing the hand afterwards

Douggie the unwashed hand

A library that holds one sheet of toilet paper!!!!
    Only half a sheet Douggie,
    I know no more about props than the next guy, I will say I have tested and modified and tested and modified and tested again over the last 5 years or so I have been doing my own props, I know what tip cup, edge cup, back cut, bar cut, detounging and progressive pitch SHOULD do to a given application and just lately have been using a prop duplicator to help replicate. I have spent countless hours with a rigger, hydro, mono and a a heap of packs and a heap of props with my ball pliers at the pond with the data logger and gps to find what works for me. I make note of conditions, wind, chop etc. I am still amazed at how two supposedly identical props will behave just so slightly different!! I am a firm believer in more diameter and less pitch for choppy conditions with suitable mods to concentrate thrust, more pitch on hydro style hulls and the lift I have found to be hull and CG specific,
    So Douggie I know stuff all compared to Brian and the likes but my best mates and myself do not have slow boat between us.
    Cheers

Oh buy the way my latest experiment concerns the AOA and how this affects prop efficiency, ie; speed, handling. It is very interesting how you can change AOA for different conditions ( chop, wind etc ) and how different prop cuts, prop types and prop brands will help or hinder. This shows me we must think of boats as a whole including conditions to get the best results possible. Most of my testing stays with me as one day I will be able to afford the 1000km + round trip to race but for now I just rule my pond.

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Only half a sheet Douggie,
    I know no more about props than the next guy, I will say I have tested and modified and tested and modified and tested again over the last 5 years or so I have been doing my own props, I know what tip cup, edge cup, back cut, bar cut, detounging and progressive pitch SHOULD do to a given application and just lately have been using a prop duplicator to help replicate. I have spent countless hours with a rigger, hydro, mono and a a heap of packs and a heap of props with my ball pliers at the pond with the data logger and gps to find what works for me. I make note of conditions, wind, chop etc. I am still amazed at how two supposedly identical props will behave just so slightly different!! I am a firm believer in more diameter and less pitch for choppy conditions with suitable mods to concentrate thrust, more pitch on hydro style hulls and the lift I have found to be hull and CG specific,
    So Douggie I know stuff all compared to Brian and the likes but my best mates and myself do not have slow boat between us.
    Cheers
    Forget the pi$$ing competition you guys and have a drinking competition. You both love Scotch. I will supply 6 bottles of Scotlands finest and 2 computers connected to OSE so we can all read the havoc and destruction you have both created the next day.
    Love you both
    Paddy

PS. Andy you are the best prop guy this side of the Pacific and Indian Oceans

Forget the pi$$ing competition you guys and have a drinking competition. You both love Scotch. I will supply 6 bottles of Scotlands finest and 2 computers connected to OSE so we can all read the havoc and destruction you have both created the next day.
    Well thats a weekend for me what is that stupid old Scott going to drink?

Pissing comp hey !! A bit of support mate may just get a good job on that 2047,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hey just get Douggie to do it!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast