Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Swordfish ESC's

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    There isnt an exchange discount. But they to warranty them or repair them for a cost. Send me a email and I will send you the return info.
    Thanks for taking care of me on this Steven. Your customer service is second to none. I am glad I have found such a well ran business to spend my money at.

Anyone ran into a snag with the 120 going into lvc? I ordered one for a LSO powering a SV27R motor (overkill I know) and tried it for the 1st time yesterday.
    It would run about 50-100 feet then fall on it's face. Release the trigger, pull again and it would travel another 50-100 feet and do the same thing.
    Timing was at auto, lvc set to soft and 12v for 4s as programmed by the pc program. Default on all other settings. Packs were 2 fully charged 4s 5000 ma hooked up as a 4s 2p setup. After getting it back to shore (just a few trigger pulls away) peeled the tape and everything was cool so it wasn't a thermal shutdown.
    I have two of the 240 HV's that are working fine in 10s boats.
    I'm confused.

PS: I forgot to mention that I did throttle endpoint calibration as suggested by the manual. Also if anyone has run into this and has an easy cure would love to hear it. That way I don't have to send it back to Steve.
    Last edited by bill34207; 01-02-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: PS

Bill is 12v the proper setting for 4s? The nominal voltage for 4s is 14.8 and fully charged is 16.8. Maybe that has something to do with it???
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

12V would be 3V per cell which is what's shown in the manual for 4s. Do you have a recorder to show what the voltage is when it's cutting out? Do you have another set of batteries to try?

You are both absolutely correct. Not sure why the compter program reads them that way. It calls 4s at 12 volts, 5 @ 15 etc which is only 3 v per cell. I plugged it back in to the programmer earlier (to make sure nothing had changed from the setup). It was all still the same but did find an "auto" lvc setting available in it and going to give that a try as soon as I can get it back to the water.
    Unless, that is, I hear from Steven that I should just send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    12V would be 3V per cell which is what's shown in the manual for 4s. Do you have a recorder to show what the voltage is when it's cutting out? Do you have another set of batteries to try?
    Actually I did try 2 different set of batteries. Same result along with smaller props.
    No on board equipment to check voltages though.

Last thing I can think of would be to recheck solder connections on esc.

I am working on building a DF 29. Have the Speedmaster 21 hardware. Peter Z. mount. Want to power it with a 540 9XL and a Swordfish 200. Want to run it with 2 Turnigy 5000 mah 2C 30C packs. I need a power card for the SW. Is it easy to set up the ESC? Will this boat fly with this set up? I know of the 180, but like the slimness of the SW. Will mount the ESC on top of my Peter Z. mount.

ESC 5.5 to motor and 8's for the batteries. My batteries have the 5.5 do I need to switch to 8s?

If you use good quality 5.5's you are fine, if you use the OSE versions, Castle or AM-1005 Hobby King (not the other ones they have) you should be fine.

I bought some of the other Hobby King 5.5's and they are so bad that I would barely use them on chargers.

8mm plugs would be fine too but, I don't know if you really need it since your batts can only deliver 150 amps continuous.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have found with aircraft esc's made by Heifei that the auto setting for lvc works best. Might be the case with the swordfish as well.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Bill, does the swordfish esc have a setting anywhere that says "insensitivity"? I know on my heifei aircraft controllers there is such a setting. If you don't use that, the lvc is really too touchy!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Bill, does the swordfish esc have a setting anywhere that says "insensitivity"? I know on my heifei aircraft controllers there is such a setting. If you don't use that, the lvc is really too touchy!
    I'll have to plug it in again and look. I was actually looking for a "disable" setting when I found the auto.

Running a leo 4082 with a Swordfish 200 in my Geico.
    Nice and cool and runs great.

What is the warranty on these?
    Second run and it went POOF!!!!!!
    First run was never warm ran great the water is ice cold.
    Second run and it stoped and the pop.. pop.. pop.. smoke and pop. pop. smoke again.
    Motor, bateries, radio, and everything is fine but the ESC poped all the caps and melted comlpetleymy entire inside is sticky and smelly.
    How do I get rid of the smell?

Eagle One all wheel cleaner, spray in, scrub a little and wash out in the shower. It will not smell and should come completely clean. Rinse well all residue with hot water.

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...sp?itemid=1003

At any car parts store & Walmart I think.

Ill try that, Thank you.
    Anything to get rid of that smell.
    Its like a burnt clutch.

Which esc, and what boat and setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Which esc, and what boat and setup?
    Swordfish 200 in a Miss G.
    Leo 4082, and a x 642 prop on 6s, no BEC set up with program card.
    Geat runs the first time out. I ran 4 sets of batteries.
    Today I ran for about 30 seconds.
    No changes to the boat from the first day.

There was one change.. I put on the off set rudder set-up from Kentec.

[QUOTE=teamchrome;268486] I ran 4 sets of batteries.

Did you add any additional "caps". I suspect your total battery lead length from
    esc. was probably to long. Refer to the Schulze Electronics website for recommendation/explanation. Caps on Swordfish are quite small. Also how were the 4 packs wired....you indicated a 6s configuration?

Norm Kris Sr.
    Last edited by NORMKRIS; 01-04-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Crew Chief

I had a 120 swordfish which failed on 6s, not burnt or melted just dead (suddenly stopped, using external battery pack). I would suggest running them on 5s max.
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Vinegar and hot water or "goof off" will get rid of the smell and burnt residue.

Just as an update on what I was running into. Changing the LVC cutoff method to auto fixed my esc problem. Unfortunately the SV27 motor I was running it on cooked about a minute later. ESC is still good since I plugged it into another motor after getting home and it worked fine.
    The motor is a different story.

Where did you have the timing set for the SV27 motor?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I left it at auto (default)

that should be OK. How about the PWM?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

It was also left at default. Think it was like 8hz or something along that line which should have been fine for an inrunner.
    The only things I changed from default settings was the cutoff method and switched it from hard to soft and the LVC voltage to auto after the 4s setting didn't work.
    I think I just got a bad motor. In reality the SV27 and UL-1 motors are nothing but glorified Great Planes Ammo motors (and I've had a FEW of those and the Rimfire outrunners go bad in planes over the years). Good side is that Tower is about zero hassle for getting a warranty replacement.
    I could stick my Neu 1415/1Y in it but then it wouldn't be legal for our LSO class.

I'm just trying to recalibrate my sf240hv and I'm following the book on how it's done although the esc keeps going into program mode, the bell's just keep ringing. The book say's to "hold full throttle and turn on esc, there are 3 beeps indicating correctly powered for the setting, then there are 4 long beeps, then I'm suppose to move the throttle to neutral and 2 beeps are suppose to follow indicating the calibration is complete. I seem to just have it starting with 4 beeps and entering the program mode, could this be bacause I've changed the LVC settings from auto to 6's. I only did a recalibration last week without any troubles and after doing that I reprogrammed the esc to increase the timing and set the LVC to 6s. Has anyone else had this trouble?

Grab the USB and reset to default, then start again

btw.. what version code ?
    1, 2, or 3 ?
    W
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Quote Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
    Grab the USB and reset to default, then start again

btw.. what version code ?
    1, 2, or 3 ?
    W
    Mate, I proved my dumbass abilities the other day when plugging into the computer when I wasn't thinking and plugged the rx battery in along with the usb, I only noticed when it wouldn't read the usb drive and a pop up on my computer said there was a malfuntion. I might try hooking it up again tonight but I think I killed the USB stick, it got a tad warm. I'm not sure which version code? I havn't upgraded it from when I got it. This afternoon I plugged the program board up and made sure I hadn't changed any settings and then tried it out with the DX3S throttle travel at 150% and it seemed to really be ballsy, a lot more than ever, can I over do the travel, should I maybe play around and start with smaller trials, eg. 120%-130%? When trying the 150% dry in the boat, I did notice things got a little warm in just a few pumps of the throttle.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast