Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swordfish ESC's

I just bought the Swordfish 120 on Wednesday so I don't need any more info on the SeaKing comparison.

Earlier, m4a1usr recommended that if you have an auto timing setting, which we do, leaving the timing alone. That was my plan.

Has anyone tried a switching frequency on these ESCs other than the default 8kHz? I see we can pick 12 and 16 as well.

I'm going to be running 6S on a Neu 1415/1.5Y (1500kV, 4-pole) if that makes a difference. My goal is not maximum speed, but to keep everything running the coolest.

Thanks.

Default Proram card issues

Steven, having trouble getting 240V Swordfish to accept program from the program card. Have 6.0v pack connected to the two bare power wires on the harness, red/black/white connected according to polarity on back of program card...other end of harness connected to ESC. Leaving ESC off, turning on 6.0v power source and I get the red light on the program card. Then turn on the ESC, get a green light on the bottom of ESC. Press the "transmit" button on program card and nothing happens. No motor or lipos connected to the ESC (assuming I don't need that). The instructions that came with the card say the red light should blink twice when programming complete. Any suggestions?

BTW I checked and my battery pack is delivering right at 6.0v so I don't think that's the problem.

Got it to program, the polarity is flip flopped in the Y harness, causing the card to not program. When I plug the harness into the ESC throttle control backwards, I'm able to get it to program. On the wires, for me that means Brown to White, Red to Red, and Orange to Black.

What radio are you using?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by marcelaw View Post
    Got it to program, the polarity is flip flopped in the Y harness, causing the card to not program. When I plug the harness into the ESC throttle control backwards, I'm able to get it to program. On the wires, for me that means Brown to White, Red to Red, and Orange to Black.
    Mine is the same way. If you have a SF240 just pay attention to the wires rather than the plug. I'm not sure if all the plugs are consistantly backwards or if its just some so best bet is to go by the wires.

Are you saying the socket in the program card is wired backwards? Or do they provide you with a Y-harness that's backwards?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Are you saying the socket in the program card is wired backwards? Or do they provide you with a Y-harness that's backwards?
    Its the y-harness. I plug the esc into my receiver as I would any other esc.

I see. I don't have one of their esc's so I guess they send you a Y harness with it? I've always plugged the esc directly into the program card on all the other brands. No need to have it plugged into the receiver usually. I guess the Swordfish is different.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Solved my problem above, the 12 year old Schultz took out a phase in the UL1 motor when it failed. Changed motor and ran it today all's well!!

I think you have that reversed. When the motor failed it took out the schultz.

I may not have worded that clearly. There is no need to use a receiver to program it, I just meant the plug on the esc is wired correctly.When I put it in the boat and run it, I dont plug it into the esc upside down.

Default Swordfish stand-alone programmer

I just bought the standalone programmer for the SF ESC's. It works great on my 120, but I cant get it to work on the 240. It shows a y-harness in the directions like the one that comes with th eusb link, except it has an extra set of wires for teh rx pack to plug into...so it's a total of 4 sets of wires instead of 3 like teh usb link version.

How do you get this to work? Steve do you sell a harness for this?

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    I just bought the standalone programmer for the SF ESC's. It works great on my 120, but I cant get it to work on the 240. It shows a y-harness in the directions like the one that comes with th eusb link, except it has an extra set of wires for teh rx pack to plug into...so it's a total of 4 sets of wires instead of 3 like teh usb link version.

How do you get this to work? Steve do you sell a harness for this?
    Keith I'm a bit confused. There isnt a separate harness. We might have to contact Hifei about this.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I got it to work with the y-harness from my usb linker. (It does show a harness like I described in the instructions, but I guess its not needed after all)

On your site it says to use a 4AA rx pack, so I tried one instead of the nimh 5 cell rx pack I was trying to use with it, and it worked. I checked and double checked the wires on the rx pack and esc...maybe it's just possible the two pin connector on the 4AA style packs makes better connection with the programmer?
    I suppose it's also possible that I turned the ESC on AFTER I plugged it in when I tried it before. I noticed even when using the 4AA pack if I plug it in and then turn the ESC on, nothing happens. It has to be on when you plug in the battery.

Controller on 240HV have a 4.5-5.5V tolerance.. outside that range and it will not function... eg 5 cells wont work.

The SF240HV has no BEC..
    The programmer gains power with 3plug wiring harness from BEC enabled ESCs.. it needs external power for the SF240HV... thus the 4 connector lead

Assume you plugged 4cells direct to programmer somehow to achieve successful program with 3 plug leads... ??

details ?

W

I got it to work with the y-harness from my usb linker. (It does show a harness like I described in the instructions, but I guess its not needed after all)

On your site it says to use a 4AA rx pack, so I tried one instead of the nimh 5 cell rx pack I was trying to use with it, and it worked. I checked and double checked the wires on the rx pack and esc...maybe it's just possible the two pin connector on the 4AA style packs makes better connection with the programmer?
    I suppose it's also possible that I turned the ESC on AFTER I plugged it in when I tried it before. I noticed even when using the 4AA pack if I plug it in and then turn the ESC on, nothing happens. It has to be on when you plug in the battery.
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

You got it.
    I used the y harness from the usb linker, hooking it up the same way I would if using the usb plug only plugged that end into the programmer... then plugged the rx pack into the power port on the programmer. Worked perfectly.

If you had used the 4plug lead with 4cells attached it should have worked.
    Ive noticed a lack of QC regarding wire allocation to polarized plugs.
    Meaning.. the plugs when mated have different color wires joining !
    hafta watch these color blind assemblers !
    W

You got it.
    I used the y harness from the usb linker, hooking it up the same way I would if using the usb plug only plugged that end into the programmer... then plugged the rx pack into the power port on the programmer. Worked perfectly.
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Steve is there any replacement discount or anything on these if they go bad? I just fried my SF 120 today. It worked great, but unfortunately I sub'ed my boat and it filled with water. When I brought it up, the esc had shorted and I now have a stinky boat

It worked great and its totally my fault for getting it wet...just thought I would check and see if there is an exchange discount or anything

Steve is there any replacement discount or anything on these if they go bad? I just fried my SF 120 today. It worked great, but unfortunately I sub'ed my boat and it filled with water. When I brought it up, the esc had shorted and I now have a stinky boat

It worked great and its totally my fault for getting it wet...just thought I would check and see if there is an exchange discount or anything
    There isnt an exchange discount. But they to warranty them or repair them for a cost. Send me a email and I will send you the return info.
    Steven Vaccaro

Default SWORDFISH runs cool!

Hey STEVEN borrowed Norms Swordfish 240 last weekend to run in my 70+mph 10S1P X-Era O/R powered 44"Open Hydro a London Canada IMPBA race. It was so easy to run no programing`plug and play' always came in around 130 degree range after 7 laps on 1/6 mile course. Very impressed with smooth thorottle response and overall control at factory auto settings. Great controller for the money!
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by K.R.Joye View Post
    Hey STEVEN borrowed Norms Swordfish 240 last weekend to run in my 70+mph 10S1P X-Era O/R powered 44"Open Hydro a London Canada IMPBA race. It was so easy to run no programing`plug and play' always came in around 130 degree range after 7 laps on 1/6 mile course. Very impressed with smooth thorottle response and overall control at factory auto settings. Great controller for the money!
    Glad you liked it Ken. I have had great luck with them.

The Swordfish 120 has been outstanding.
    My son and I beat the hell out of a 120 this weekend in his n2 mono.
    He was draining a 6500 hyperion 35c pack to 5% in 170-180 seconds. Right at the rating on that esc and it went as smooth as silk. Previously we had only been able to run a Hydra 240 on that setup.
    Steven Vaccaro

Yee haa, sounds like a keeper!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by K.R.Joye View Post
    Good running boat and based on my "touch test"...quite a cool running controller

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    There isnt an exchange discount. But they to warranty them or repair them for a cost. Send me a email and I will send you the return info.
    Your PM box was full but I sent a message through the store site. Thanks for your help.

Hello

an easy question can I program the 240 HV with these card:
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...ramming_card__

Thanks Albert

Quote Originally Posted by AustriaAT View Post
    Hello

Thanks Albert
    It looks quite different than the Hifei model.
    Steven Vaccaro

Hm

they write: Compatible with Super-Brain and Monster ESCs.
    And at HK the 240HV is listed as an Aquastar Monster.

Please help.

Thanks Albert

Hm

they write: Compatible with Super-Brain and Monster ESCs.
    And at HK the 240HV is listed as an Aquastar Monster.

Please help.

Thanks Albert
    Seems like you should give it a shot. Let us know how it goes?
    Steven Vaccaro

That is a Hifei aircraft controller card. Not sure if it will work with their marine esc's or not.

Hello

Thanks Albert
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

That card is for the HiFei(Turnigy) Monster2000, the Aero precursor to our new HiFei Swordfish (Turnigy Aquastar) series :)

Communication interface between card and board are different.... latch sequencing does not match.

Use at own peril ! .. ( avoid inhaling the toxic smoke )

This link shows the HC (Turnigy) equivalent for Aquastar... l a relabeled HiFei !!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...d_Super-Brain_

Hello

Thanks Albert

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast