Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swordfish ESC's

Quote Originally Posted by tth View Post
    Steven do you have any further info on when the Datalogging 240 will be released?
    They said, Late spring or summer.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Thanks for the update
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Can you guys explain to me what the timing advance and PWM does?
    thanks.

I am surprised no one has answered these questions yet? No one knows?

The PWM switching rate is a function of duty cycle. Meaning that the higher the freq the more "on" time. And probably the best way to describe it is,

Higher frequency = hotter ESC, cooler motor
    Lower frequency = cooler ESC, hotter motor

Motor timing is about as basic as it comes. The lower the pole motor, the lower the timing should be. While anyone can argue their 4 pole Neu runs great at 7 or 10 degrees of timing advance its been my experience that heat increases in the motor as advance does. And if you visit the Neu website for recommended settings you will see that "D" windings should be set with a low advance setting, the "Y" windings should see more timing. Like above 10 degrees.

Yet I run a 1521/ 1.5Y in one of my boats and no matter where I set the advance on my speedo I saw no improvement in speed. Just an increase in motor heat with the increase in timing advance. If your speedo has an automatic timing setting. Stick to that one. I dont know if I really answered your questions but if you want me to go technical in description on motor advance its no different is application of your own cars motor. The result is the same.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    I am surprised no one has answered these questions yet? No one knows?

The PWM switching rate is a function of duty cycle. Meaning that the higher the freq the more "on" time. And probably the best way to describe it is,

Higher frequency = hotter ESC, cooler motor
    Lower frequency = cooler ESC, hotter motor

Motor timing is about as basic as it comes. The lower the pole motor, the lower the timing should be. While anyone can argue their 4 pole Neu runs great at 7 or 10 degrees of timing advance its been my experience that heat increases in the motor as advance does. And if you visit the Neu website for recommended settings you will see that "D" windings should be set with a low advance setting, the "Y" windings should see more timing. Like above 10 degrees.

Yet I run a 1521/ 1.5Y in one of my boats and no matter where I set the advance on my speedo I saw no improvement in speed. Just an increase in motor heat with the increase in timing advance. If your speedo has an automatic timing setting. Stick to that one. I dont know if I really answered your questions but if you want me to go technical in description on motor advance its no different is application of your own cars motor. The result is the same.

John
    PWM "pulse width modulation" in Lehman's term is just a modify Fm signal that is used for electric motors instead of the old Rheostat system. where a resistor type control was used.. A Pwm system allows a more efficient way of switching an electrical signal on and off without any loss in power.Rated in Kh . As for settings, a Y motor that has a lower kv rating will handle a higher Rate of switching than a delta motor. a lower pole motor will handle med. to lower switching depending on size of hull and prop. IE. load . similar to the old Brushed system where the motor had timing, depending on application.And the esc did not have any adjustments. Any extreme settings will generate heat so it is a matter of sometimes tinkering with the best settings for your set up
    Last edited by mappo; 04-23-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Anyone else who can't get their Swordfish 120 to run the UL-1 motor?
    I set the throttle travel per instructions and motor won't start - no beep, tunes nothing.
    Program Box has been set and is retaining program. Green led stays on.
    Trans on, ESC plug in to receiver, connect main power green light comes on then goes out and motor plays tune then 10 beeps and plays tune then 10 beeps and on and on.
    3 hours and nothing, I must be missing the oblivious.

Any help out there?

I had the same problem and it was still the throttle end point settings. Hold the throttle full open, plug in power. You will hear 3 beeps then during the next set of beeps, should be 4, move throttle to neutral position. You should now hear 2 beeps and it should be set.

Try holding the throttle to full forward on powering up. Listen for 3 beeps, then release. That is how the hv 240 works,

I have set the th. travel per the instructions more than 6 times yesterday on my Futaba 3PM 2,4 Pistol radio.

It's not the transmitter trim you're setting it's the controllers sensing of throttle ends. This is from the 240 manual and assumes you do not have built in BEC. If this doesn't work then something is wrong with the controller I would assume. But again, I had the same problem only beeps, rudder controls I believe worked but throttle didn't. Also check out note1 below

B. Pistol style transmitter calibration
    - Keep the switch of ESC in ‘OFF’ position. Correctly connect the ESC with brushless motor and battery
    pack, plug the receiver lead of ESC into the throttle channel of receiver;
    - Use separate receiver battery or UBEC to power receiver.
    - Put the throttle to the forward full position, turn on the transmitter;
    - Switch ‘ON’ the ESC, there are 3 beeps emitted from the motor, which indicates all electronics are correctly
    power on for the setting.
    - Then there are 4 long beeps emitted from the motor ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ .
    - Move the throttle stick to the neutral position immediately after any one beep of the 4 long beeps. Two beeps
    emitting out indicates calibrating is completed.
    - Following two beeps are powering beeps, it is time to go now!
    Note: 1)Recommend the ‘0’ position should not be set higher beyond the 50%.
    Note: 2) Motor is needed to install for acoustic guide. Meanwhile, please keep the propeller away from human beings or any
    objects.

That is exactly what I have done more than 6 times yesterday.
    Will start from scratch again tonight.

You have both a separate receiver battery AND the power battery hooked up?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

No, it has BEC. Just main cells hooked up. But just to check I pulled the red wire and hooked up a reciver pack, same thing.

Steve, does Hifi have an error code sheet? I an getting tune, 5 beeps, tune, 10 beeps then repeats.

Jim I will pm you Michelle's email address Hefei
    Steven Vaccaro

I'm ready to start fixing my boats again and I'm really interested in the these esc's so a couple of questions will help me in my choices....
    1. Will the 240's go in reverse? My pond has narrow ends and sometimes I need reverse, All I do is saw passes from end to end.
    2. When will you have them in stock again?
    OK, You Go First!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuslow1 View Post
    I'm ready to start fixing my boats again and I'm really interested in the these esc's so a couple of questions will help me in my choices....
    1. Will the 240's go in reverse? My pond has narrow ends and sometimes I need reverse, All I do is saw passes from end to end.
    2. When will you have them in stock again?
    No reverse. I have more coming in about 2 weeks.
    Steven Vaccaro

I will be posting a new software version and new firmware version. The firmware deals with throttle calibration.

I also have an important thing to look for on your esc's!!!
    After installing one, I noticed that the water inlets and outlets are not tight and do not have any sealant. Please remove them, and put some silicon on the threads and reinstall them. While you're at it look inside the plate passage to make sure there is not aluminum cuttings inside. Both these issues will be addressed with the next batch. Sorry about this.
    Steven Vaccaro

My Turnigy Aquastar labled ones were the same way.
    Last edited by BakedMopar; 04-28-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Steven, you need to tell Zenith to crack some heads!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by mappo View Post
    PWM "pulse width modulation" in Lehman's term is just a modify Fm signal that is used for electric motors instead of the old Rheostat system. where a resistor type control was used.. A Pwm system allows a more efficient way of switching an electrical signal on and off without any loss in power.Rated in Kh . As for settings, a Y motor that has a lower kv rating will handle a higher Rate of switching than a delta motor. a lower pole motor will handle med. to lower switching depending on size of hull and prop. IE. load . similar to the old Brushed system where the motor had timing, depending on application.And the esc did not have any adjustments. Any extreme settings will generate heat so it is a matter of sometimes tinkering with the best settings for your set up
    So is a 6 pole 2900KV motor considered a high or low pole motor?

Quote Originally Posted by INTERGRATING View Post
    So is a 6 pole 2900KV motor considered a high or low pole motor?
    High pole!
    Do you know what the biggest problem with the world is?
    That the Smartest people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence.::tt2

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    I have set the th. travel per the instructions more than 6 times yesterday on my Futaba 3PM 2,4 Pistol radio.

Futaba Throttlr is reversed compared most brands.
    do a ch-rev and try again.
    DocW
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Ch. IS reversed, runs my Schultz's just fine, but thanks at this point I'll try anything.

Ch. IS reversed, runs my Schultz's just fine, but thanks at this point I'll try anything.

Jim what did Michelle say?
    Steven Vaccaro

Jim.. this may help.

The 120 and 240 prefer more than 101% between full/off endpoints.
    set throttle fwd=>110%, neutral 0, and bwd anything ( not used in setup/running )

hold th full, engage Tx then Rx, engage esc, 3 tones, wait till midway thru the 4 tone set, then release trigger.. last 2 beeps indicate throttle set.

DrW
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

Dear Mr. Jim Caldwell,

We newly released a new firmware for Swordfish ESC, please upgrade your Swordfish 120A ESC into the attached latest firmware and try to calibrate the throttle range again.

Very look forward to hearing more from you.

Best regards,

Michelle

Dear Mr. Jim Caldwell,

She sent .rar file which is new software. I can't copy and paste it here. I guess I will have to order the UBS adapter to use it.

drwayne I try the 110% tonight, thanks

Going to 110% works, but now I will have to readjust neutral because I have to hold 10%brake to get it to stop. Now I know why most have autosense for throttle position. LOL

Dear Mr. Jim Caldwell,

We newly released a new firmware for Swordfish ESC, please upgrade your Swordfish 120A ESC into the attached latest firmware and try to calibrate the throttle range again.

Very look forward to hearing more from you.

Best regards,

Michelle

Dear Mr. Jim Caldwell,

She sent .rar file which is new software. I can't copy and paste it here. I guess I will have to order the UBS adapter to use it.

drwayne I try the 110% tonight, thanks
    Jim, I'll send you a usb adapter.
    Steven Vaccaro

Going to 110% works, but now I will have to readjust neutral because I have to hold 10%brake to get it to stop. Now I know why most have autosense for throttle position. LOL

set Th up at 120%
    neutral at 0

also Jim, release to neutral carefully, dont let the spring return flick it back else it may pass back to x% rev.. the setting the esc captures.

it needs a software update to correct the throttle point capture.. but this workaround works.

DrW
    Last edited by drwayne; 05-02-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: read source code on board... looks familiar... ... result edited above

Default SeaKing vs. Swordfish

Hello; I originally posted this message in another thread but deleted it because it seems more appropriate here. I am not trying to cross-post or move things around in order to get an answer. I promise.

For those of you who have the Swordfish 120 and have had or still have the SeaKing (or a copy), can you comment on how they compare?

It seems to me that the Swordfish is missing a reverse, but it has quite a few more features such as automatic timing advance and it's upgradeable with a USB connection. So in the future, maybe we'll get reverse.

I've been waiting to see what the Hydra ICE looks like, but the hobby season may be over by the time we actually get one. Hmm.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast