Thread: brushless mini rio hardware options

Default brushless mini rio hardware options

hey guys i just wanted to let you know that i threw the mini strut and rudder from ose, well let me tell ya what a great combo. i love having a way to tune my boat. i also rearranged the layout of the inside of the thing to make so more room. boat handles great. my setup is a turnigy watercooled 2845 3600 motor, thunderbird 54 esc, .098 flex, and a reef racer prop. if i am able to i will get some vids and i will post some pics later tonight.

the only reason i posted this is for some more novice boaters that could use a little guidence on the boat in particular. if anybody alse has other setups hardware wise post here.
    Last edited by thegreat1; 11-11-2009 at 08:59 PM.

Default here are some pics

this gear works like a freaking charm!! i recommend it to anyone modding a mini rio.

looks quite nice i'd have to say

love the look of it

Nice boat! how fast do you think it goes? Can you post some pictures of the inside?

i'd say it is the 28-32 mph range right now it is torn apart (swaping motors) the new hardware makes this boat run so good.

Any updates? Vids? Pics?

Ive got the hrdwr on mine, but no electronics yet. I removed everything from the inside, all abs plates, motor mount etc. Just waitin on parts to start buillding it back.

I had to do a double take. That last pic looked like a micro stinger. I was excited to get one from the store too...
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nice, I threw on a Solinger mini rudder and just added a brass bushing to my stock stinger... did upgrade to .098" flex and slapped on an X432 prop - Here is a vid from today... don't think I need a styly stinger (other than to look super sweet). I took some pics of the innards and hinney to post. Oh and I sillyconed the hatch so it is water PAROOF!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jesse J; 05-02-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

My mods were more inspired by damage resulting from it falling and landing on its rear - all busted AND transom cracked... I also ripped out the abs from the inside and then CA'd everything back.... the motor mount ain't comin out without a fight.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I used a flat edge blade that goes into an exacto knife.. almost like a mini sharp putty scraper to remove all the guts outta mine. Worked wonderfully. Just run the blade the correct side up so it doesnt dig into the hull.

Hello All,
    I inherited a Mini Rio from my brother. I then proceed to do some extensive mods.
    - tore out the stuffing tube,
    - upgraded to an OSE .095 flex drive.
    - glass reienforced the inside.
    - 3600KV motor from eBay kinda heavy
    - a 30 A ESC, water cooled, also from eBay
    - same drive hardware that TheGreat1 used, the micro strut and rudder from OSE
    - Octura y534 Plastic prop
    - 2S 1000 mah, 30C Turnagy Lipo

It runs wonderfully, about 30 mph

Im gonna try a 3S, 1200 mah, 45C Thunder Power battery later on today.
    Pics / vid to come.

OK,
    I shot some video
    Here ya go, running on the Hurom River, S.E. Michigan
    It goes pretty fast for a 14 inch boat, about 30 MPH
    Oh, I ended up not getting the 3S battery, so in the vid its running 2S, 30C, 1000 mAh battery

Video Link

Can you please get pictures of your boat larryrose11

Thanks
    Prince 25 8XL,Delta force 29 8XL, SV27,Rio 51,Mini Rio,Stock Miss Geico m445,ERBE,Baja 5B SS, Hyper ST, Castle Emaxx.

Sure. Ill take shots when Im done making it purdy.
    My back end looks just like TheGreat1

OK, after a bit of a hiatus, I have finally got some shots together, in all the ugly details.
    You can see more detail in the shots than in life it seems!

You can see that I used the stock motor mount, and I'm glad I did, because the balance point for this hull seems to be about the middle of the front access hole.
    The yellow in the bottom of the hull is the 3 layers of 3/4 of fiberglass.
    you can also see the cover I made for the coupler, because it is tight in there, and I want rotations parts covered. Im trying out some new hatch gasket which I use with hatch tape too, but Im not sure it works any better than just the hatch tape. I also replaced the tubing alon the side, because I wanted something tougher.

next huge shot:

more:

It runs great in rough chop too.
    Here is a vid of it in chop, running on 2 cells.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lz6FH4jO3E

I just put a 3s pack in, IT FLEW!!
    Then in short order, my coupler, which was a stock unit I bored out to fit my motor, failed. I lost the prop and shaft. Lucky for me, I was in shallow water at the time, so I retrieved the boat.
    Order placed, should have new parts soon.

My boat was bobbing up and down, (porposing) and I feel it is probably from the 4-5 mm shim you can see on the last pic of post #16. Im going to remove that.
    Also, Im learned a bit about this stuff, as this was my first boat. That motor, is too much for this boat. Not too much power, but too heavy. The motor with the jacket comes in @ 170g, an is capable of more than the ESC can supply. A
    Tenshock N1025*17 3200 KV Motor is just 64g, and the cooling jacket cant be more than 30g. This motor would be a much better choice.

Just be aware that the CG of this boat needs to be about the middle of the front access hatch. So, as I put a lighter motor in there, I will need to er-position the ESC closer to the bow.

Also, stick to props 32 MM and smaller. Bigger props just make it torque roll.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Appreciate the post and tips. I'm brand new to RC boating. Just got a mini RIO and working out how to get it planing right (right now the rear sits low, and the prop just froths the water). Reading these posts has been helping lots!

no proble
    the org powertrain sucks. ge somthing better. I was there too. look what a boat like the Mini Rio can doo with the right powertrain
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=24094
    post 7 he taalks about the powertrain.
    Also, this site has a lot of info:
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info.php
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),