Thread: A Noob's Setup/Handling Problems

Default A Noob's Setup/Handling Problems

I've been lurking here for about a month and have really enjoyed (and learned a lot from) everybody's posts. I've built & run scale boats (Chris Crafts, etc.) but wanted to try something fast!

Picked up a SV27 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Everything was stock and I ran it with 2 6-cell NIMH packs. It was fun, but I had to do better.

I added a pair of 2s 20c 5000 lipos and a cooling jacket from Kintec Racing. Also ordered a bunch of different props.

Just got back from the pond and am frustrated by the way the boat ran. It was really, really fast, but whenever it was running straight and I got my speed up the boat would suddenly spin to the right. I mean really hard . (It flipped several times but fortunately landed upright each time).

I moved the batteries forward a bit and a put a slight left trim on the rudder but it only helped a little. Trim tabs were parallel to the bottom and the strut was neutral.

I don't know what to look for and I need help on getting this thing set up.

BTW, the props I used were Octura 440/3 & Prather 220 (both balanced & sharpened) and a 45mm CF

John

John, there are only a couple of things that come to mind. Remove your turn fin and see if that helps. It could be a bad steering servo or in the case of the early release's of the Super V they were shipped with faulty radio's and they glitched and caused problems as you discribe. Another thing to try is adding 5 oz. of weight right in front of the motor and place the batteries approx two inches ahead of stock position.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    I've been lurking here for about a month and have really enjoyed (and learned a lot from) everybody's posts. I've built & run scale boats (Chris Crafts, etc.) but wanted to try something fast!

Picked up a SV27 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Everything was stock and I ran it with 2 6-cell NIMH packs. It was fun, but I had to do better.

I added a pair of 2s 20c 5000 lipos and a cooling jacket from Kintec Racing. Also ordered a bunch of different props.

Just got back from the pond and am frustrated by the way the boat ran. It was really, really fast, but whenever it was running straight and I got my speed up the boat would suddenly spin to the right. I mean really hard . (It flipped several times but fortunately landed upright each time).

I moved the batteries forward a bit and a put a slight left trim on the rudder but it only helped a little. Trim tabs were parallel to the bottom and the strut was neutral.

I don't know what to look for and I need help on getting this thing set up.

BTW, the props I used were Octura 440/3 & Prather 220 (both balanced & sharpened) and a 45mm CF

John
    You could try and adjust the steering ball link. Thread it toward the transom a few turns and should bring the rudder over to the left more to correct your sharp right turns also maybe try turning down the steering input, turn the "D/R" knob a little counter clockwise. I removed the forward part of the battery tray on my SV and installed some homemade velcro straps to move the batteries almost even with the motor mount. I also upgraded the trim tabs, you can find them @ OSE and installed a port side turn fin. About $40 worth of parts really helped with handling also the CF42 is an awesome prop for this boat. Hopefully this helps and I'm sure we can get your steering issue solved...

Port Side Turn Fin
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...qub9522&cat=67

Upgraded Trim Tabs
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=ose-tab1015

Prop
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.42
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diesel6401; 11-01-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    You could try and adjust the steering ball link. Thread it toward the transom a few turns and should bring the rudder over to the left more to correct your sharp right turns also maybe try turning down the steering input, turn the "D/R" knob a little counter clockwise. I removed the forward part of the battery tray on my SV and installed some homemade velcro straps to move the batteries almost even with the motor mount. I also upgraded the trim tabs, you can find them @ OSE and installed a port side turn fin. About $40 worth of parts really helped with handling.
    Nice looking SV27 ya got there....
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    Nice looking SV27 ya got there....
    Thanx alot, just got it finished painted yesterday. Took about 2 days, but I think it came out great.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Skibo2/Diesel6401 - Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I probably won't be able to get out to try anything until next weekend.

I've attached a couple of pictures, maybe you'll notice someting. (The layout shot shows about the location of the batteries.)

Skibo2, I like your idea about a radio or servo problem. I've got a Hitec 27 Mhz AM system I use on my scale boats that I could install easily. It may not be the ideal radio to use but I know its range covers the entire pond. It would probably answer the queston of whether or not the existing radio has a glitch. I have several servos laying around so replacing that would be easy.

I'm hesitant to remove the turn fin, though. Seems if it came with the boat originally, it should stay. (I don't think it's been altered or moved.)

I mentioned yesterday that I set the rudder trim a little to the left. What I didn't tell you was that I dialed down the travel (?) or distance the rudder turned so it only would swing a short distance, maybe 5-10 degrees in each direction. Except for the wild spins to the right that I'm trying to correct, this adjustment made for nice gentle turns at any speed. Diesel6401, is that what you meant when you suggested turning down the steering input?

I guess I have to start at square one and keep eliminating the possibilities one by one. I'll start with the stock prop, maybe the Nimh cells, change radio, servo, etc. We'll see what happens.

I think I screwed up the pic uploads. Let's try again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Skibo2/Diesel6401 - Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I probably won't be able to get out to try anything until next weekend.

I've attached a couple of pictures, maybe you'll notice someting. (The layout shot shows about the location of the batteries.)

Skibo2, I like your idea about a radio or servo problem. I've got a Hitec 27 Mhz AM system I use on my scale boats that I could install easily. It may not be the ideal radio to use but I know its range covers the entire pond. It would probably answer the queston of whether or not the existing radio has a glitch. I have several servos laying around so replacing that would be easy.

I'm hesitant to remove the turn fin, though. Seems if it came with the boat originally, it should stay. (I don't think it's been altered or moved.)

I mentioned yesterday that I set the rudder trim a little to the left. What I didn't tell you was that I dialed down the travel (?) or distance the rudder turned so it only would swing a short distance, maybe 5-10 degrees in each direction. Except for the wild spins to the right that I'm trying to correct, this adjustment made for nice gentle turns at any speed. Diesel6401, is that what you meant when you suggested turning down the steering input?

I guess I have to start at square one and keep eliminating the possibilities one by one. I'll start with the stock prop, maybe the Nimh cells, change radio, servo, etc. We'll see what happens.
    Yup that's what I was talking about, just trying to start small. Your batteries are a little further forward than where I place mine, but since you have lipos in it might not be a bad idea to have them in the location you do. If you do put nimh in move them back a little also use 7 cell nimh if you have them and anything above 4200mah if you want any decent run time. This boat is killer on nimh. I wonder if you have a serious prop walk issue. I would hate to just throw out radio/electronic issue so quick. Start cheap first and you should seriouly think about the port side turn fin...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

I think I screwed up the pic uploads. Let's try again
    Only think I can see in the pics is that your rudder looks like it seating postive,maybe try and adjusting it to the neutral position a little....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

hey john, im the electric guy from the pond that has helped you out, you still havn problems? let me know we can go out and work out the kinks. i was lookin for you last sun.

John, when I suggested removing the turn fin, I didn't mean permanently. I only ment to take it off and run the boat in a straight line at high speed to see if maybe the turn fin was the cause of the spins. The SV definitely needs turn fins in high speed turns. Many guys put turn fins on both sides to help turning in both directions but in my use I only make right turns on our race course so I never needed one for left turns. Deisel's comment on the battery placement is correct, you have the correct placement for Lipo's but NIMH should be moved back about an inch or a little more. My Lipo's are in the exact position as yours and I also have five ounces of weight right under the front of the motor. The added weight will not correct the spin but will help keep the boat on the water in rough conditions at high speeds. I found it necessary when I upgraded to a Feigao 8XL motor.
    One last suggestion that I found wrong with my boat. Take a straight edge ruler and lay it down the length of the keel and the drive strut and make sure the drive strut is in line with the keel. Mine was not and I had to shim the one side of the strut where it attaches to the boat. Easy fix. The offset strut caused my boat to pulll hard to the right all the time.
    Last edited by skibo2; 11-03-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Paul - I didn't get out to the pond last Sun. until about 2:00. By then everyone was gone. There was no wind and the water was smooth as glass. The only waves were from my wake.

I'm probably not going to be free next Saturday, but plan on coming out on Sunday afternoon, probably around 1:00. Hope you can make it.

Skibo2- I understand now what you mean about the turn fin. Just start taking things away until you can home in on the problem. If 65 Hydo comes out this weekend, it'll be the best solution. There's little better that having someone right who really knows what he's talking about.

Thanks everyone for for your suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

John

If it turning right on its own while going straight, try moving the reciever out of the radio box. I had the same problem and moved the reciever all the way to the back of the boat. Have not had a problem since. Just make sure to put the reciever in a balloon to help water proof.

I stopped by the pond yesterday about an hour before dark and tried the SV with the stock prop and 4500 Nimh batteries. Again, there were no other boats and the water was smooth. It kept cavitating and wouldn't bite so I put on a 42mm 2 blade Grim Racer prop and away she went - straight as an arrow. There was no problem with turning or hooking.

I switched to 20C lipos and the boat really took off. Again, it ran straight & true and turned well, even at near WOT. I tried a few other props, all the way up to a 47mm and had no problems. By then it was getting too dark to see well and the lipos were down to about 35%-40% so I packed up and went home.

As Desi Arnaz used to say "'splain dat one, Lucy"!

I had come prepared to try out all your suggestions and ended up not doing anything! What was different over last Sunday, I don't know. It could be my driving (after all, I'm new at this and my skills leave a lit to be desired), there could have been some sort of RFI that threw the radio off (I didn't think that could be a problem on FM) or perhaps it was just evil spirits.

I just got some 30C lipos from Hobby King today and want to try them out Sunday.
    (These batteries have enormous 8ga. wires. They look like soda straws! No way I can solder them onto Deans plugs. Guess I'll have to use bullet connectors.)

Again, thanks to everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll be back for more.

John

Glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy your boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Yea, glad to hear your boat ran good. I have been following along to see what problems you were having.
    This forum is awsome, lotsa knowledge, help and quick responses.
    Have fun all,
    Garcol