Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW Spektrum DX3E 3 Channel radio!

Hi Darrin,
    Thanks for the reply. Here's more data:

TX: DX3s purchased about a month ago
    RX: SR3300T

RX is located inside a 1/7th scale FE hull. Standard 3.5" antenna extended inside the hull and covered by a 1/16 piece of ply (Receiver box cover).
    Telemetry is not being used
    No part of the hull is CF
    Power is 5 cell NiMH

At about 250 feet the ESC shut down. When the boat rotated due to the wind, the receiver woke up again and I was able to get the boat back. Sometimes you just get lucky!

I see 12" piano wire external antennas on lots of boats and maybe the limited range is why.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tharmer View Post
    Hi Darrin,
    Thanks for the reply. Here's more data:

TX: DX3s purchased about a month ago
    RX: SR3300T

RX is located inside a 1/7th scale FE hull. Standard 3.5" antenna extended inside the hull and covered by a 1/16 piece of ply (Receiver box cover).
    Telemetry is not being used
    No part of the hull is CF
    Power is 5 cell NiMH
    I haven't tried this particular RX, but one thing I do know about all of these is that the antenna must exit the hull. The only real part of the antenna lead that is "antenna" is the last 1" or so (the silver part that looks like the insultion has been stripped off"

I haven't tried the SR3100 or the MR3000 without having the antenna exit the hull. One of these days, I'm going to give it a shot, but for now, I extend them fully outside of the hull and as high up as possible.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

That's what I thought. I never have to do it with my airplane transmatter (JR10X) and the parkflyer receivers I use.

-t

That's what I thought. I never have to do it with my airplane transmatter (JR10X) and the parkflyer receivers I use.

-t
    Over water is an entirely different deal... The signals close to the water get antenuated and lose strength... or as it was explained to me, the signal gets "drawn down" and loses range quickly. You need to get the antenna up off the water as high as possible, especially with the "older" form-factor surface RXs. The new MR3000 has a LONG main antenna, just for this reason.

I hate antenna tubes as much as the next guy, which is why I always used Hayes whip antennas, but running the antenna like this seems to be the way to go.

Good info. Thanks, Darrin. I understand better now. Maybe I'll get the marine receiver.
    -t

Good info. Thanks, Darrin. I understand better now. Maybe I'll get the marine receiver.
    -t
    Make sure you upgrade the TX at the same time...

I agree that that is a PAIN, especially after JUST purchasing it.

The Surface (SR-series rx) protocol is lower power than the Marine and Aircraft protocols. If you want to run a Surface receiver in a boat, I'd recommend something like the SR3100 as you can get the active portion of the antenna up and away from the hull and water. The SR300 has a different type of antenna which is active the whole length, and you'd have to put it up high on the boat to get the same performance.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Thanks, Andy. My DX3S radio TX is marine capable (has the marine logo on it) so I assume I can just get a marine RX and be good to go.

-t

Yup! Have a blast with it!

Andy

I've used Futaba, Hitec, JR, Tactic, and Spektrum.

I haven't messed with a Futaba in years.

My Hitecs had nice features but I didn't trust them. Too many issues I couldn't explain.

The JR XS3 Pro is a great radio but it's made it to old school status IMO. The cloth grip cover that came with my JR was pretty sweet.

I checked out an Airtronics at the NATS and it just didn't feel good. I might have been able to get used to it. A little heavy for me though.

The Tactic is a great deal but not as nice a fit with my hand and almost no features.

Comfort is kind of a big deal to me. That's just me though. It has to work but it has to feel good too. My new Spektrum is the most comfortable in the hand so far with JR XS 3 Pro being a close second. I haven't had any range issues yet with the Spektrum marine setup. Pretty sweet so far. Comfy and it works.

Andy, does the new radio have the killer menu system? I love that on the S radio.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    My new Spektrum is the most comfortable in the hand so far with JR XS 3 Pro being a close second. I haven't had any range issues yet with the Spektrum marine setup. Pretty sweet so far. Comfy and it works.
    Spektrum also makes different sized rubber inserts for the handles, so you can make the grips smaller or larger if needed...

Andy, does the new radio have the killer menu system? I love that on the S radio.
    The DX3E doesn't have a menu or even an LCD. The adjustments are pots that run down the center of the top of the transmitter. If you look at the picture closely, you can see the tops sticking out. They have knurled tops, so you don't need a screwdriver to adjust them.

"E" is for "ECONOMY" so they really aren't intended for most racers. I would expect the RTR type guys to get them as a one-step-up radio.

Andy

A monkey could work that S menu. Maybe that's why I like it so well.

Not everyone needs that much. Does it run on 4aa like the others? That's really convienient compared to 8 aa.

That reminds me. A 2s Lipo option sure would be sweet for all the radios.

4 cells is what we use in all our new stuff.

Andy

It's a small thing but when you run for a whole weekend and have to replace 8 AA's multiple times it get's annoying. 4 is better.

It's a small thing but when you run for a whole weekend and have to replace 8 AA's multiple times it get's annoying. 4 is better.
    I've purposefully been running mine on the same AAs for most of the later part of the season, just to see how far down it can go before there are issues... Thus far, I've raced with it down to 5.0V and still works fine... Also seems to take awhile to get there... Not sure what the floor is... Not sure it's worth finding out, but I might keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by nomobux View Post
    Yeh .... nice, but how about us lefties. I don't understand why they didn't make the S convertible like the R.
    That is the reason I have been using Airtronics transmitters since the 80's. I just can't drive right handed. Only thing is the left hnd stuff is usually the higher end stuff.

BTW Airtronics MX sport is under $100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12