Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Spektrum DX3E 3 Channel radio!

Default NEW Spektrum DX3E 3 Channel radio!

Hey Guys... Check out what Horizon/Spektrum just announced! VERY cool! It also says it's compatible with the new MR3000 RX!! AND, only $99.00!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM3160

DX3E 3Ch DSM Surface Radio
    Key Features

* 3-channel surface system
    * Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM technology
    * Includes SR300 DSM 3-channel receiver
    * One S200 digital servo included
    * One model memory
    * 2-position, 3-position or linear auxiliary setting
    * Steering dual rate knob for easy adjustment
    * Independent travel adjustment dials for all three channels
    * Battery voltage level indicator LEDs
    * Servo reversing on all three channels
    * Compatible with DSM2 and the MR3000 receivers, in addition to DSM surface receivers.
    * 4 AA alkaline batteries and a medium size grip included (other grip sizes sold separately - SPM9006)
    * Charge jack port for use with optional rechargeable batteries (SPM9525) and charger (SPM9526)

Overview
    Revolutionizing the industry yet again, Spektrum announces their most affordable 2.4GHz system ever offered. Packed with features and added value, the DX3E is just what consumers have been asking for. At $99.99 MAP, it’s tough to beat this easy-to-use system- modern Spektrum styling, interference-free driving, and added features such as battery indicator LEDs and steering dual rates plus compatibility with all Bind-n-Drive vehicles.
    Specs

* # of Channels:3
    * Modulation:DSM (Compatible with DSM2 and the MR3000 receivers too)
    * Band:2.4GHz
    * Servos:S200 (1)
    * Receiver:SR300 DSM 3-channel receiver
    * Model Memory:1
    * Transmitter (Tx) Battery Type:AA Alkaline (4 included)
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Looks like AQ and their Tactic forced some hands regarding pricing! Now of course Futaba and Airtronics will have to follow suit. I wonder how the Tactic gets by without any receiver antenna. That is the best feature of the Tactic. If Tactic can do it, so can the others. Until someone else offers an antenna-free receiver, I'll stick with the $80 tactic system although the new Spektrum has a couple of features I like.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Looks good. Love the price point. I was just looking on eBay at the DX3S and thinking...."if only someone would bundle this transmitter with the MR3000".

Blake

It comes with the 300 receiver, not the 3000.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    I wonder how the Tactic gets by without any receiver antenna. That is the best feature of the Tactic. If Tactic can do it, so can the others. Until someone else offers an antenna-free receiver, I'll stick with the $80 tactic system although the new Spektrum has a couple of features I like.
    I'm not sure, and I've never used a Tactic, but has anyone tested the range on one of these??

The Spektrum, Futaba, and similiar radios are designed to allow LONG ranges... Aparently, big gas boaters like to drive WAY out there...

I've tested my DX3S at over 1000ft... without loss of signal...

If the Tactic can do this, then that's great. But, I suspect that it's not really designed for those extended ranges, and that is how they can get away without an antenna... I'm only speculating, however...

I'm just glad to see that Spektrum was able to answer the call with an affordable package like this. That's awesome for the hobby!

Yeah, good for Spektrum! Good move. I have run my boats pretty far out with the Tactic without any loss of control but couldn't tell you a distance. I know one guy running offshore and that far buoy is Waaaay out there on the local club course. He didn't have any trouble.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

It comes with the 300 receiver, not the 3000.
    Yep, you're right. I was thinking it would be nice if someone bundled it with a MR3000.

Blake

Yeah, good for Spektrum! Good move. I have run my boats pretty far out with the Tactic without any loss of control but couldn't tell you a distance. I know one guy running offshore and that far buoy is Waaaay out there on the local club course. He didn't have any trouble.
    While it seems way out there... if you can see the buoy, it's not!

I didn't realize it before I tried it, but 1000ft is WAY out there... it's completely across the lake we run on... you can just barely see the boat out there.

I've been told by the Spektrum engineers that they have people in Florida, etc., that run their big gas boats WAY out there... >1000ft out, so that's what they are trying to be able to support with this new line of radios.

Quote Originally Posted by blakybob View Post
    Yep, you're right. I was thinking it would be nice if someone bundled it with a MR3000.

Blake
    I'm sure they were trying to keep the initial pricepoint under $100.00.... The MR3000 is $79.95 on it's own...

I agree, however, and I'll mention it to them and see if maybe they can put something together.... You aren't the first to mention this.

Looks like AQ and their Tactic forced some hands regarding pricing! Now of course Futaba and Airtronics will have to follow suit. I wonder how the Tactic gets by without any receiver antenna. That is the best feature of the Tactic. If Tactic can do it, so can the others. Until someone else offers an antenna-free receiver, I'll stick with the $80 tactic system although the new Spektrum has a couple of features I like.
    Futaba already relseased their low cost model at $105.00
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-futk1200

But since I'm a Spektrum lover now. The Spektrum Dx3E will definitely be on my shelves ASAP!!! I know it isnt a big deal but for some reason I love the aggressive looks of new Tx's by Spektrum. The Futuba's seem old fashion.

Thanks for the post Darin!!!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I'm not sure, and I've never used a Tactic, but has anyone tested the range on one of these??
    Darin, I'm running six different boats with the Tactic/Tower Tx/Rx setup. I've gotten really "out there" - kinda' like lane 50 on the back straight with no probs. Legg has some strange "RF Traps" that affect most all other brands; no probs with the Tactic. Strange but true.

IMO that there's a huge price differential in outfitting my six boats with Tactic/Tower Rx's [ @ 17 bucks] Vs other brands. The absense of the antenna is really nice as well. No model memory is a big downside; a real pain if you want the steering to be correct for oval course running. The Tactic Tx has a real "cheapie" feel to it & the trim pots are extremeley non-linear, another downside when you have to adjust for each model every time you switch boats. The Spectrum looks great and would really get my vote if a version with model memory could be offered as a step up; as a racer with a pretty big fleet I'd imagine you'd agree.
    Last edited by properchopper; 10-22-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I use a tactic, and a m8 w/ spektrum & 10 model mem, and a ko ex-10 w/ spek and 9 model mem.

Besides the models the tactic works just as good if not better, ive had some weird stuff happen on spektrum

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Darin, I'm running six different boats with the Tactic/Tower Tx/Rx setup. I've gotten really "out there" - kinda' like lane 50 on the back straight with no probs. Legg has some strange "RF Traps" that affect most all other brands; no probs with the Tactic. Strange but true.

IMO that there's a huge price differential in outfitting my six boats with Tactic/Tower Rx's [ @ 17 bucks] Vs other brands. The abscence of the antenna is really nice as well. No model memory is a big downside; a real pain if you want the steering to be correct for oval course running. The Tactic Tx has a real "cheapie" feel to it & the trim pots are extremeley non-linear, another downside when you have to adjust for each model every time you switch boats. The Spectrum looks great and would really get my vote if a version with model memory could be offered as a step up; as a racer with a pretty big fleet I'd imagine you'd agree.
    The no model memory and the cheap feel and other issues Tony mentions are the only issues, for the price it is a bargain. If Tactic come up with a more sophistaced model, watch out. The other manufacturers will have sleepless nights

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 10-22-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Thing is that I just can't take my eyes off the new Spectrum; a total masterpiece of industrial design.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I think theyre uglier than hell, like some type of moon boot

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    Ya, but the I think I have a Futaba model from the early 90's that looks like the one they just released. I think there is something to be said about a good product looking the same but getting better. But come on, time to make some changes in appearance
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    And just so you know where I'm coming from, I still have some moon boots my father bought me in the mid 80's!!!! The fit great, feel good when they are on and water proof. But I'm with ya that they are ugly as hell! If i wear them this winter i'll take a picture. lol
    Steven Vaccaro

Ohh i dont like the futaba either, only the 3pks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    And just so you know where I'm coming from, I still have some moon boots my father bought me in the mid 80's!!!! The fit great, feel good when they are on and water proof. But I'm with ya that they are ugly as hell! If i wear them this winter i'll take a picture. lol

I disagree with the "ugly" comment... I think the DX series of Spektrum TXs are cool looking... but then, I also liked my JR XS3-Pro very much, so I'm partial to the silver look... I also like the placement of most of the controls... it's VERY easy to switch between models and settings...

Nice found Darin ...i look for it right now ...
    Christian

if only it had more model memory id be all over this.....

Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
    if only it had more model memory id be all over this.....
    Sounds like they need to make something like the original JR XS-3... Maybe with a 3 or 5-model memory, in the $150.00 price-range...

yea that`d be perfect!! just enouph for all my rc`s

Yeh .... nice, but how about us lefties. I don't understand why they didn't make the S convertible like the R.

More mold cavities --> more development and assembly money, and less than 10% of the market (many lefties drive righty because they've had to learn how - both of my left-handed sons do just fine with my right-handed radios).

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Hey Darin,

You mentioned testing your Spektrum DX3S up to 1000 ft. Quick question: I use my DX3S racing trucks, etc. I have 5 vehicles on it right now. I know Spektrum has the marine receivers and I can upgrade my DX3S for $50. Can I use my radio as is with say a SR300 3-channel DSM sport receiver in my UL-1 or my SV27?

Thanks for any input on the question.

Quote Originally Posted by rench View Post
    Hey Darin,

You mentioned testing your Spektrum DX3S up to 1000 ft. Quick question: I use my DX3S racing trucks, etc. I have 5 vehicles on it right now. I know Spektrum has the marine receivers and I can upgrade my DX3S for $50. Can I use my radio as is with say a SR300 3-channel DSM sport receiver in my UL-1 or my SV27?

Thanks for any input on the question.
    I'm sure you could, but I can't speculate on what the range might be. The new RXs have a different form-factor and dual antennas, etc. That being said, I use my DX3S with the SR3100 RXs all the time, and haven't had any issues with range.

Mine ran out of range at about 250 feet. I don't think the pistol radios have as much trasmitting power as the airplane radios.

Now I have to put some kind of external extension on the receiver antenna to keep from getting out of range...or go back to my air radio which never had any range problems.
    -t

Quote Originally Posted by tharmer View Post
    Mine ran out of range at about 250 feet. I don't think the pistol radios have as much trasmitting power as the airplane radios.
    -t
    Can you please be more specific on the Model and setup details... What TX? Which RX? etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast