Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Rio EP Brushless conversion

measure its length from the leading edge to the tip. That distance will be the pitch. I'd try a yv mm prop. Maybe x637.

Why not try one of the props Steve sells here the fiberglass composit ones they come in 4mm and have sizes that would be good for your testing needs....just sharpen there edges like i shown so they cut through the water good and they work very good.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Thats good to know. Ill find something soon, hopefully!

I"VE GOT A VIDEO!

This is a video shot last week on a really windy day so the water was really quite rough. I never got to full speed but I definetly got going and the Rio Ep handled the waves quite well

Rio Ep
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGINnSg9i-Q

I also have this video of the Arrow Wind in the same rough water, it's awesome it was jumping and flying really well, it was very fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htkDMHLo4d0

Check 'em out!

What do you guys think of these?

I thought they were awesome. My new 4cell lipo arrived two days ago and I will be heading out to the lake today for a test run. The problem with my brushless setup was balance. That is the reason I order a heavier battery in an attempt to get the cg toward the back. I dont have the boating skills or knowledge to relocate the motor and components to different locations. Im glad you got yours running good. Hopefully I can join in your success with my own brushless Rio.

Reaper

Have you been adjsting the trim fins for the balance? I had to adjust those a bit to get better balence. I even tried to move the battery to the opposite side that the boat was leaning when running. In the end I just put the battery back and found the perfect position of the trim fins with my motor.

I actually ordered a new ESC because the one I had was cutting in and out (I returned it to the manufacturer) so, I ordered a seaking that has reverse also. Can't wait till it gets here.

Seaking's are great! I would only use reverse when absolutely necessary though. You will be spinning the flex cable in reverse, and too much load will cause it to unwind. Whick seaking is it?

It's the 60A with a 120A burst. Which is good since the motor is only a 40A motor.

Hey man, ive been reading your thread with interest. I JUST got my Rio EP today and immediately put in a Novak 2S lipo cut off and went out to run the boat. In like 10 minutes the ESC died... servo gears also stripped.
    Anyway, I went stright to e-bay and bought an ESC with the following specs:Output:
    Continuous 50A, Burst 60A up to 12 Secs. (no backward)
    Input Voltage: 50A: 2-7 cells lithium battery or 5-16 cells NiCd/NIMh battery.
    Weight: 33g.
    3A BEC

and a 3600 KV water cooled brushless motor. They came as a set for $40CDN shipped. SUPER cheap I know. Do you think this will work on 2S in the Rio EP? I have 3S but I dont really want to use it. I dont want insane speeds... your boat is too fast for me. I just want it to be faster than the stock setup, and reliable.
    What do you think?

I'm guessing too much strain on the ESC, I've heard of others who lost their stock ESC from too much power. But it seems as though it doesn't matter since you've gotten a new one and a new motor.

The ESC will probably be fine but do you know what the max amp draw the motor is rated at?
    Hopefully not more than 50A. If they were sold together then they were probably matched well.

One thing I will say is that the ESC definetly makes a difference on reliability. I've gone through 2 different ESCs before I got my seaking because the other two quit working correctly.
    Just keep an eye on yours and as long as it stays cool enough that you can hold your fingers on it for 5-10 seconds your fine.

I would think you would easily get more speed than stock with that setup though. When you have it assembled you should youtube it and post a video of the internal setup and of it running.

I think I found the combo you bought on eBay, funny thing is I think that's the same motor I have! lol. Well it works pretty well if it is!
    But like I was saying I would just keep an eye on the ESC and make sure it keeps up well.

There is one thing I will warn you of then if it is the same. The piece of metal that lies on top of the motor to keep it in place is a little loose on the motor. It will spin and yank the watercooling out of the side of the boat, then flood the hull. If you want to avoid this, what I did was cut up one of those rubber jar openers that you get everywhere to the width of the metal covering. I then wrapped it around the motor once and tightened the screws on the metal cover nice and tight. This has completly prevented the motor from moving at all!

Excellent. I thought the motor I got looked just like yours also. I read about your fix for the motor fitment and was going to do that from the start. I noticed on one of your earlier pics you had a water cooling kit added to the first ESC you had that WASENT water cooled. It was held on with an elastic. Where did you get that? I can get a 60 amp ESC from e-bay for like $20 and it is watercooled. I might jsut get that anyway... order it now and then ill jsut have it when I need it.

Yeah, that was just a rubberband holding this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10A-40A-RC-Boat-...item35a64b0ab2

to the ESC. It works fairly well but the ESCs that have the watercooling integrated into them are better. That sounds like a plan to me.

Hmmm, yeah, I think ill just run the 50amp ESC for now, if it dies I can get the 60 amp watercooled ESC for $25 shipped and a 120 amp watercooled ESC for $45 shipped. If I wait, id likely just get the 120 amp ESC and skip getting the 60,

After all your running, do you think the stock prop will be O.K? I have a bunch of spares but they are all 42mm. Again, ill just be running 2S and I dont need to go super fast. Just want it to plane quickly and stay cool.

Hmmm, yeah, I think ill just run the 50amp ESC for now, if it dies I can get the 60 amp watercooled ESC for $25 shipped and a 120 amp watercooled ESC for $45 shipped. If I wait, id likely just get the 120 amp ESC and skip getting the 60,

After all your running, do you think the stock prop will be O.K? I have a bunch of spares but they are all 42mm. Again, ill just be running 2S and I dont need to go super fast. Just want it to plane quickly and stay cool.

To be honest some people were telling me that it was too big but every prop I tried that was smaller than that just didnt cut it. They had no pick up and low top speed.
    Stock prop has good acceleration and speed. Again, just check on your temps as you go, once you've found that whatever prop you choose isn't overheating anything then you can just stick with it.

I personally want to find somewhere to buy a bunch of cheap props of different sizes so that I can find what works best then spend the money and get the equivalent Octura prop. I just have found any place that has a variety and cheap enough to get a few.

Gottcha. Thanks. Ill just run it with teh stock prop and see what happens. I dont have an LHS near by so I have to order everything online. Just want to get all the stuff ill need now so i dont have to wait when the system shows up. Ill post up a video when I get it set up and see how it works.
    Thanks so much for all the help.

Looking forward to the video. I just ordered 6 props from here to try, all different sizes.

No problem, if you come up with any other questions feel free to post!

VIDEO ALERT! :)

I finally got to take the Rio Ep out for the spring and it went very well. Check out my newest video! It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjanAk4BmQ
    Last edited by hyrulejedi86; 03-29-2010 at 02:23 PM.

So what did u end up doing to make the hull stop rolling to the right?

There isn't alot you can do about it. I never got to full throttle on my video, only 1/2 to 3/4 due to the roll.

I messed with the trim tabs on the bottom, moved my battery to the left side of the boat and tried a three blade prop all of which do help reduce the roll but I have yet to find any ultimate solution to it.

I am curious if you needed that Mikes module or you were able to program your radio to work right without it. I will be searching for ESC for my boat I am building and I want to use it ( an airplane ESC ) in my RIO as well. Thanks.

I ended up getting a new ESC from what I was originally working with, I got the seaking ESC which has been amazing! And I use a traxxas 2.4ghz Link transmitter/receiver. Works great together.

seaking/turnigy are great esc's for the money, and the programming is easy.

hey hirulejedi86 my name is shannon o'shea and i jus posted my own post on my brushless conversion and im using virtually the same combo as you are just the seaking variants anyways i am goin to change the prop to a smaller one around wat u are using anyways someone told me that if u used a prop bigger than 30 mm on a full power run his esc cut out now i dont know wat hull set up he used but since this is a rio ep specific post and u are basically using the same combo i am i thought id ask u these questions do u have any problems with ur esc i plan on using the seaking 3600 kv motor which has a max current draw of 55 amps and a watercooled seaking 60 amp esc and just going to run it on 7.4v 2s lipo pack and he also stated that the 30mm prop did nothing but pretty much cavitate anyways any help would be greatly appreciated jus incase i have to spend anymore money on a higher rated esc cheers i have attached a pic of the said combo i was going to use on my post but i uploaded one here
    Attached Images Attached Images

O my god tell me everything you did. I want this in my rio ep!!

Shannon87: I'm so sorry I never responded I don't check this thread regularly anymore and I didn't get notified of the post until mattman replied.

@ Mattman and shannon87 When I get done with patients this afternoon around 430 I'll give you guys some details and what I did to my set up.

hyrulejedi86,
    Im using the same motor, but in a Mini Rio! Probally too much motor, but it is fun, especially on 3s. I have a lot of mods on mine. The only thing left stock is the hull.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...hp?albumid=403

What I have noticed about the props is that the larger ones cause the boat to lean on 1 side when on plane, and cause mine to flip. I have found that turning a larger pitch prop down works quite well. I got great results using a 34*1.5 (Octura y534 Plastic) and trimming it down to 30 mm worked great. A prop balancer is a must if your doing this mods.

There is no video......
    Did you remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    VIDEO ALERT! :)

I finally got to take the Rio Ep out for the spring and it went very well. Check out my newest video! It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjanAk4BmQ
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast