Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Rio EP Brushless conversion

Quote Originally Posted by hyrulejedi86 View Post
    My temps were fine, battery wasn't hot at all but the motor and ESC got warm not so hot I couldn't touch them and hold my fingers there. I wouldn't mind going down a size but I tried the 31 and 34mm props from Hobbycity and they just won't push it on plane or get much speed. Can you guys give me a link to a couple of smaller props with higher pitches. maybe even a 3 blade prop that would work. I don't want to burn anything out but I want speed!!

I wouldn't mind a smaller prop but the one's I have just dont cut it right now.

Going smaller on the prop would get you less speed and harder out of the hole
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Well, I definetly don't want less speed! Alot of people were just saying that the 42 was probably to big and I don't want to mess anything up if it were to big.

A 38-40mm would be good, possibly even a 36mm may get the job done..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Can you suggest one with a pitch similar to the Rio Ep stock, or how do I find out what the pitch is so I can get the right one the first time, hopefully! :)

I was just thinking, if I wanted to switch to a 3 blade prop how would I adjust the size if I found that a 38mm 2 blade prop worked?

Hi a smaller prop may get you faster speed i learned this ...if your motor is high RPM ...like yours 39,600RPM on your 3s battery that's very high mine is 30,500RPM on 3S and i used a 31.5mm and it flew I am going to try a 29mm.
    With your set up if it is doing the RPM it supposed to be and is a good motor I say go smaller prop. what size is the hole in your props? i use 3/16" props carbon fiber ones i grind down the 40MM size to what i like.
    Did you see my video?
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

I did see your video it looks really fast!

I tried a 31mm from hobbycity but it wouldn't get on plane or get going at a good speed at all!

That's why I tried the stock prop which did amazing. I think maybe if I had a smaller prop with a higher pitch it might work better but I don't know where to start. The flex shaft is 3mm in size so that's what the hole in the prop has to be as well.

I did see your video it looks really fast!

I tried a 31mm from hobbycity but it wouldn't get on plane or get going at a good speed at all!

That's why I tried the stock prop which did amazing. I think maybe if I had a smaller prop with a higher pitch it might work better but I don't know where to start. The flex shaft is 3mm in size so that's what the hole in the prop has to be as well.
    Those props probably are no good ...if there plastic it probably flexed like crazy at that RPM and made it not grab the water and push...I used a plastic 30 something MM prop and it just sat there cavatating!
    The carbon fiber stuff don't flex...
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Hi go here on the top try these props they should fit your boat.....i would get a 35 and 32mm and maybe the next size smaller ... a note on these get a razor blade and hold it on a angle and scrape around the whole back of each blad to make the 2 blades sharp ...I got 2MPH more by doing this on a fiberglass prop.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=119
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Here is how you sharpen by scraping with razor or exacto blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZ28 View Post
    Hi a smaller prop may get you faster speed i learned this ...if your motor is high RPM ...like yours 39,600RPM on your 3s battery that's very high mine is 30,500RPM on 3S and i used a 31.5mm and it flew I am going to try a 29mm.
    With your set up if it is doing the RPM it supposed to be and is a good motor I say go smaller prop. what size is the hole in your props? i use 3/16" props carbon fiber ones i grind down the 40MM size to what i like.
    Did you see my video?

Going smaller and smaller does not mean faster and faster speeds
    you will get to a point that the prop does much of nothing for your boat going with a smaller prop

Can you suggest one with a pitch similar to the Rio Ep stock, or how do I find out what the pitch is so I can get the right one the first time, hopefully! :)

you have a lot or rpm so you don't really need alot of pitch..
    it's all about trial and error in picking the right prop

so far your doing real good!

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Going smaller and smaller does not mean faster and faster speeds
    you will get to a point that the prop does much of nothing for your boat going with a smaller prop
    Yes but there is only one way of finding this out and its testing I tested bigger props and smaller then smaller and smaller ones but not the smallest made my boat faster than with a bigger prop because my boats motor never got up to full RPM with a big prop.
    He just has to test a few props ...I think the small plastic ones did no good as they flexed badly due to his hight RPMs and if he runs the same size in fiber glass, metal,or Carbon fiber it will work much different than those cheapo Hobbyking plastic props... That's my thoughts.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZ28 View Post
    Yes but there is only one way of finding this out and its testing I tested bigger props and smaller then smaller and smaller ones but not the smallest made my boat faster than with a bigger prop because my boats motor never got up to full RPM with a big prop.
    He just has to test a few props ...I think the small plastic ones did no good as they flexed badly due to his hight RPMs and if he runs the same size in fiber glass, metal,or Carbon fiber it will work much different than those cheapo Hobbyking plastic props... That's my thoughts.
    this is a mono hull and the tiny props do not do that well
    and with any prop change one needs to make an adjustment to the strut to get the most out of the prop

Hello,

I'm new here and I'll be receiving my boat within a few days.

I've got a plan to modify my boat and looking into the same motor as you. My question is that do you need to change the motor coupler to the one you mentioned? or, the stock coupler can fit the new motor properly.

I'm from Thailand and sorry for my bad English.

your not suppose to sharpen carbon props

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    your not suppose to sharpen carbon props
    Hi i was talking about sharpening the fiber glass composit props...I got 2MPH more from doing this...these props are not sharp like the carbon fiber props.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

im not sure how any composite is gonna hold up after being cut like that then running in water, it will come apart after time

im not sure how any composite is gonna hold up after being cut like that then running in water, it will come apart after time
    for a extra 2MPH gain on a few $ prop it's worth it.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

ya, I think thats right..
    it will weaken the prop edge and become very brittle
    and getting 2mph extra could just be the difference in the water conditions

hey 55, Medusa 3680 DF 33"

how is this setup? mph-prop

I was the one that suggested to him that he should sharpen the prop with a razor. One thing I never considered was it falling apart. I've been playing with those props for about 5 years, so far I haven't had one come apart, but thats not saying it can't happen.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Yes i never had one come apart also and if your so worried seal the edge of the prop with clear coat paint... they won't fray apart anyhow. and the 2MPH gain was tested on the boat set up the same on the same day just put a stock non sharpened fiber glass prop on and then put the same one but sharpened and the GPS said 2MPH faster!
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

hey 55, Medusa 3680 DF 33"

how is this setup? mph-prop
    have yet to start the build, I've just got a Titan 29 last week and need to mount the motor and get it cleaned up first then I'll sart the 33

Wow this is good stuff, I've really busy the last couple days and hadent had time to check my post.

mrgunner- The stock coupler does not fit that motor, that motor is 4 mm shaft and the coupler is a 3 mm to 2 mm coupler. If you are really careful you can take a drill and widen the 3 mm hole to a 4 pretty easily as long as you drill in straight. Thats what I did and it works well.

everyone else-I am still trying to decide where to get my props from for the cheapest and what pitch to settle on. But thanks for all the replies so far!

Wow this is good stuff, I've really busy the last couple days and hadent had time to check my post.

mrgunner- The stock coupler does not fit that motor, that motor is 4 mm shaft and the coupler is a 3 mm to 2 mm coupler. If you are really careful you can take a drill and widen the 3 mm hole to a 4 pretty easily as long as you drill in straight. Thats what I did and it works well.

everyone else-I am still trying to decide where to get my props from for the cheapest and what pitch to settle on. But thanks for all the replies so far!
    What size do you think you will go with?

Based on the results of my 31 34 a d 42mm props I will probably try 36, 38 & 40mm props and see what happens.

Just out of curiosity how do you determine the pitch of a prop if you dont know?

I do not know

Thats ok. Someone might know. I just wanted a reference point when im looking for a prop that correlates to the stock prop because it was working so well.

I think the stock prop is 1.4

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast