Thread: Cobra/Sniper FE Tunnel Hull build

Default Cobra/Sniper FE Tunnel Hull build

Well, I finally got some time to work on this boat today. Its one of Dan Hutchensons Cobra tunnels done up in FE. The boat will use the OS lower, Medusa 36-60-2000kv motor, and Hydra 120 ESC, and Hitec 645mg steering servo, with of course, 4 cell Zippy Flightmax pack!. So far so good, Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Following this build closely!

So am I... Neal, want some butter for the popcorn?
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Thanks Jan, please pass the butter! That cobra is a sharp looking tunnel. And so is the vision tunnel kit. I can't wait to see it run.

Cool Tunnel

That is one mean looking tunnel

Yep, your hydra 120 will probably end up in it! You get it shipped yet by chance? Let me know, MIke
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Well, I got he boat finished today, just a couple minor things to finalize, but I got it to the pond. This boat is fast! Out of the gate, its faster than my VS1 was. The only real difference was the VS1 had a 2030kv UL-1 motor, and the Cobra is running a 36-60-2000kv motor. I think torque is going to be the advantage with the medusa, but I am running the prop that was on my VS1, the 42x55 grim prop. The boat has some see-saw right now, and my steering EPA was a little high, but the boat had a great attack angle and was handling the heavy winds we had today. I got home and put a straight edge on the sponsons..They are going to need some work, there is an obvious curve on the ride pad, so I will have to get that flattened out. I think that is the cause of the high speed seesaw I was experiencing today. The boat runs very light on its heals and if I had to guess I would say it weights the same or maybe a little less than the rigged VS1. I heard someone saying "the heavier they are the harder they fall" on another forum talking about the VS1 versus other boats, well, I don't think that is true, I think the Cobra, and the Vision for that matter, when set up, might just kill the VS1 in FE form. So far, I like it! I have some tuning to do, but I just wanted to get it on the water, and see how it was to start with. Once blueprinted, and motor angle are adjusted, its gonna be fast. I also think I am way underproped as the motor and hydra 120 were ice cold when I brought them back in, so I may be moving up to a larger prop once the boat is set to handle more speed. Here are some final pics of the boat, Mike

Oh, btw, I have been using the REK lowers since the start of my FE days, and I must say, I like the OS lower 10 fold over the old k&B and REK lowers. The ability to adjust it without messing up the steering cables is GREAT!

are you going to test the Cobra with the UL motor?
    Right now you are not comparing apples and apples...

Sure, but the reason for the bigger motor, is this hull and the Vision 20 are designed for mod motors as well, so I was going to set them up like it at first. The VS1 was right at 50mph, which is its peak design speed, so there was no reason to try for more. But yeah, once I get this hull tuned in, and the bottom blueprinted, I will give it a try with the UL-1 motor since there is interest. Mike

Video please!!

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    Sure, but the reason for the bigger motor, is this hull and the Vision 20 are designed for mod motors as well, so I was going to set them up like it at first. The VS1 was right at 50mph, which is its peak design speed, so there was no reason to try for more. But yeah, once I get this hull tuned in, and the bottom blueprinted, I will give it a try with the UL-1 motor since there is interest. Mike
    after re-reading my post it came across a bit... harsh...
    I did not mean to be harsh, I was just curious of how you
    knew that the cobra is faster then the VS1 (which I am not defending) if you never used the same setups... sorry if it came across wrong.
    Yes, I am always looking for a hull that performs great, specially looking good in the process.

Are these hulls still available?
    Is there a faster tunnel hull out there?
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),